Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
Aug 25, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #108 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by montigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that.

And as another guy said, I would also like to hear how it compares with the NOS DACs such as Monica USB.

Then you must listen for yourself.

A NOS DAC versus a current unit like the 0404 USB is sort of like apples and oranges. Some prefer one to the other, but others have exactly the opposite opinion.

There is a lot of proof out there that NOS DAC's do a pretty rotten job in the high end due to a lack of proper anti-aliasing. But some people prefer the NOS sound greatly, even though it is not technically an accurate reproduction of the original analog waveform.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #109 of 126
I got my E-MU 0404 USB today. After burn-in, and when I'll have some spare time, I will compare it to my Monica 2 USB, modded Cayin CDT-17A and the DAC's in my Nuforce AVP-16 pre/pro.

On a first casual listen, the Cayin is still the champ...

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #110 of 126
I am still running my lossless music through the 0404 USB, but I am planning on getting a Lavry DA10 in the next few weeks, simply out of curiosity. I don't expect the DA10 to blow it out of the water, but do anticipate better quality components internally. I know that the Lavry uses a fundamentally different approach than the DAC1 and other units in its price range. It also seems closer in sound characteristics to the Emu than the DAC1, from what I've read.

One main reason I am going to try this unit is two-fold; I want to try Zu cables for my headphones, and I want to try a balanced setup, eventually getting an Apache amp from Ray Samuels. Since Zu offers XLR cabling, I know I can plug the recabled HD650 headphones I have straight into the XLR outputs of the Lavry. Despite being a line out, there is potentiometer-free volume adjustment of the outputs, so you can use the unit without an amp. This would be temporary until I order and receive an Apache, but should sound reasonable.

It is during this time that I will be able to compare the Emu to the Lavry, with their own headphone amps (I still have single ended HD650 cables). Taking the aftermarket amps out of the equation will yield more accurate comparisons, I believe.

So expect a comparison between a Lavry DA10 and Emu 0404 USB in the coming weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #112 of 126
I haven't heard any preludes, but I would expect similar performance. The Emu has a lot of 'stuff' that I never use, like monitor controls, etc. The Prelude wouldn't miss any of that in a headphone setup.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the 0404 compared to the Auzentech X-fi Prelude? They use the same components, aren't they?

The dac is the same, but Prelude has better opamps and solid state caps, though I'm not sure how those caps affect sound.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #118 of 126
I just got mine...the 0404 that is.
icon10.gif

I'm so excited.
My balanced cables should be here by Friday. I can't wait.

I'm so happy to finally be sending signal to my monitors the "correct" way.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #119 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still running my lossless music through the 0404 USB, but I am planning on getting a Lavry DA10 in the next few weeks, simply out of curiosity. I don't expect the DA10 to blow it out of the water, but do anticipate better quality components internally. I know that the Lavry uses a fundamentally different approach than the DAC1 and other units in its price range. It also seems closer in sound characteristics to the Emu than the DAC1, from what I've read.

One main reason I am going to try this unit is two-fold; I want to try Zu cables for my headphones, and I want to try a balanced setup, eventually getting an Apache amp from Ray Samuels. Since Zu offers XLR cabling, I know I can plug the recabled HD650 headphones I have straight into the XLR outputs of the Lavry. Despite being a line out, there is potentiometer-free volume adjustment of the outputs, so you can use the unit without an amp. This would be temporary until I order and receive an Apache, but should sound reasonable.

It is during this time that I will be able to compare the Emu to the Lavry, with their own headphone amps (I still have single ended HD650 cables). Taking the aftermarket amps out of the equation will yield more accurate comparisons, I believe.

So expect a comparison between a Lavry DA10 and Emu 0404 USB in the coming weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

please let us know the result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back