Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
May 30, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #91 of 126
There sure is; however, I don't think semiconductor burn-in effect is actually audible. Resident golden ears will disagree, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #93 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! I have both of them right now with my 0404,so I can tell you that the 580s are the way to go.Bigger soundstage,sound airier,and not as dark as the other.

Now i have them both, and i just love the sound
600smile.gif
10x alot
And the 580 has only about ~40 hours of burn in....
wink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #94 of 126
I just ordered an E-MU 0404 USB. Estimated arrival date is June 5. This will be my first DAC. I really wanted to get the Stello DA100 but since I am a Hi-Fi novice, I want to go slow.

May 31, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #95 of 126
You know guys, I've been listening to the emu 0404 usb for a while now and I don't see what the fuss is about. It's not bad sounding but it does lack...how shall I say it...realism or something. It's definitely better than the 0404 pci card though. Not plastic sounding at all.

It also seems to get better if you don't keep the output levels for the rca out's at max.

May 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #96 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also seems to get better if you don't keep the output levels for the rca out's at max.

The output does seem to sound slightly better when the level is set at 12:00 instead of maxxed, although the difference is slight and fleeting at best.

Maarek, what other DACs are you comparing the EMU to? There seems to be a lack of comparisons between the 0404 USB and more "traditional" DACs like the Beresford or Zhaolu or Dac-ah.

Sejarzo mentioned previously that he thought the EMU was no slouch compared to a Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24, which is a $$$$ piece of equipment. I'd be interested in seeing other comparisons like this.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #97 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The output does seem to sound slightly better when the level is set at 12:00 instead of maxxed, although the difference is slight and fleeting at best.

Maarek, what other DACs are you comparing the EMU to? There seems to be a lack of comparisons between the 0404 USB and more "traditional" DACs like the Beresford or Zhaolu or Dac-ah.

Sejarzo mentioned previously that he thought the EMU was no slouch compared to a Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24, which is a $$$$ piece of equipment. I'd be interested in seeing other comparisons like this.

Yes, id be interested to see more comparisons with other DAC's too. So far i think that the E-MU has nice soundstage, natural and a bit warm sound, but perhaps it lacks a good focus. I listen to classical depending on the different passages btween 12:00 and 2:30 o'clock! ( HD580)

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #102 of 126
Welcome to the forums! Try this: Another short thread comparing the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skridsko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know the difference in SQ between the 0404 and the 0202, since they use different DAC chips for both the line-out and the headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back