Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 3, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #40,201 of 40,582
Thank you guys for the love here, appreciate the @PLUSSOUND shoutout!
The pleasure is mine, i tried it with my odins too and it definitely paired well with it. I couldnt believe how much wider it made the odins, which are well known to be pretty small in terms of soundstage.

I normally wouldnt spend more than $500 on a cable but am seriously considering the hybrid+ after being poisoned to listen to them with the canpur622B and my odins haha

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #40,202 of 40,582
The pleasure is mine, i tried it with my odins too and it definitely paired well with it. I couldnt believe how much wider it made the odins, which are well known to be pretty small in terms of soundstage.

I normally wouldnt spend more than $500 on a cable but am seriously considering the hybrid+ after being poisoned to listen to them with the canpur622B and my odins haha

Keep me posted with what route you decide to go on! Thanks!

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #40,203 of 40,582

Not heard before that Odins "are well known to be pretty small in terms of soundstage".

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #40,204 of 40,582
I can confirm that the Hybrid+ pairs extremely well with Odin and VE10. It is also a good pairing with Raven but I prefer Chiron there. I found Silver+ to have an amazing synergy with EXT which is it’s permanent home. @samuraix920 did you try the Hybrid+ with Raven??
IMG_2584.jpeg

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #40,205 of 40,582
I can confirm that the Hybrid+ pairs extremely well with Odin and VE10. It is also a good pairing with Raven but I prefer Chiron there. I found Silver+ to have an amazing synergy with EXT which is it’s permanent home. @samuraix920 did you try the Hybrid+ with Raven??
IMG_2584.jpeg
i didnt haha, i will the next time i go to zeppelin and co again.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #40,206 of 40,582
IMG_2584.jpeg
i didnt haha, i will the next time i go to zeppelin and co again.
I'll have to check this pairing out at CanJam if Jack lets me cable roll.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #40,207 of 40,582
Odins? Small in soundstage? That's news to me.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #40,210 of 40,582
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #40,211 of 40,582
The Odin soundstage is not enormous. Kinda of ear to ear, but not going farther. I've had IEMS that put the soundstage past the ears.
yes, ear to ear is the perfect description. The hybrid+ pushs the width about an inch and a bit past the ears.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #40,212 of 40,582
Out of the gate, I am enjoying the Raven signature. I want to have some more time before I give real impressions. I have spent way too much time tip-rolling. I am good with the sound of the stock Final E tips, but was searching for more comfort. Interestingly enough, I am kind of digging the Final TWS tips. Check them out, wide bore and very comfortable thus far. I hate to get fixated on cables, tips etc. because it takes away from enjoying an excellent sound IEM. That is where I am in my Raven experience.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #40,213 of 40,582
Out of the gate, I am enjoying the Raven signature. I want to have some more time before I give real impressions. I have spent way too much time tip-rolling. I am good with the sound of the stock Final E tips, but was searching for more comfort. Interestingly enough, I am kind of digging the Final TWS tips. Check them out, wide bore and very comfortable thus far. I hate to get fixated on cables, tips etc. because it takes away from enjoying an excellent sound IEM. That is where I am in my Raven experience.
I, however, am still not completely satisfied...I expected more especially in some areas such as image and stage...and just a little more than my $900 Szalayi oriolus...and maybe not even more. . excellent detail and separation but they don't give me the excitement I expected.. I'll let it burn a little longer..I've noticed in any case that the tips and angles give really different results.. the Final E are nice but nothing exceptional for me... after having tried many, for now the Velvet Divinus, Spinfit W1, Tri clarion are undoubtedly the best... standard cable and sources Cayin N7 + c9 ,Cowon PL, Ibasso DC Élite....

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #40,214 of 40,582
I, however, am still not completely satisfied...I expected more especially in some areas such as image and stage...and just a little more than my $900 Szalayi oriolus...and maybe not even more. . excellent detail and separation but they don't give me the excitement I expected.. I'll let it burn a little longer..I've noticed in any case that the tips and angles give really different results.. the Final E are nice but nothing exceptional for me... after having tried many, for now the Velvet Divinus, Spinfit W1, Tri clarion are undoubtedly the best... standard cable and sources Cayin N7 + c9 ,Cowon PL, Ibasso DC Élite....
XE6 time it is

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #40,215 of 40,582
Honestly, the cable that comes with Raven is not doing it any favors. For the first time in awhile, I was gonna do my best to stay on the original cable and get it and my ears burned-in with it. But after a couple weeks, I felt like overall the sound was missing a little hi-end and especially sub low-end. Also mids low-mids seemed really congested so that I couldn't always tell what was going on in a more complex mix.

So I finally gave in and put the cable I normally used with EE LX, EVO, and Odyssey on the Raven... a DHC Symbiote OCC Silver Litz 8-wire. Wow, what a difference! Sub-lows came back big and super clean. Congested low-mids cleared up completely, and mids & highs are super refined, extended, and smooth.

Seriously, if you haven't tried a good pure silver litz cable, I think you may be missing out on how great Raven really is.

Overall, I think Raven sounds like a better Odyssey. It's got lows and sub-lows really close to as full and powerful as EVO, but with warm-ish lower-midrange. The mid-range & lower treble seems to have a more even frequency response than Odyssey. Odyssey seemed to have a little dip in the mids/upper-mids that was exacerbated by a bit of a peak in the lower treble, which made it seem to have a hole in the mids on some tracks. And then Raven for sure has much more extended highs, very smooth, and never peaky or shrill.

I noticed some early opinions about Raven's sound seemed to think it was a brighter IEM. I might've felt that way a little early on, but after it burned in for awhile, I don't hear that at all. It's a fun, engaging sound, but still layered and resolving, with the excellent sub-low end and lows you expect from Empire Ears. But this time it seems like EE got the warmth that was missing from some of their other IEMs. And definitely mids and highs are the best I've heard yet from EE.

I also remember some pre-release demo Ravens were described as being a much better, more refined Legend X. I'd have to say after burning in Raven and my ears for a few weeks, and switching to the DHC Silver Litz 8-wire cable, I can definitely hear it that way. It's like a super refined hi-def hi-end Legend X on hi-fi steroids, if it were "fixed" to be exactly what I wanted... with warm lower-mids, a much more refined, balanced and present mid-range, and an extended smooth high-end. For my sound preferences, that's an excellent trait.

Super happy with the Raven, and glad EE got it all sorted and back on track... ending up with what to me is by far their best IEM yet.

Caveat, though... you made need that pure silver litz cable to enjoy Raven as much I am!
;-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back