Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #40,216 of 40,646
Honestly, the cable that comes with Raven is not doing it any favors. For the first time in awhile, I was gonna do my best to stay on the original cable and get it and my ears burned-in with it. But after a couple weeks, I felt like overall the sound was missing a little hi-end and especially sub low-end. Also mids low-mids seemed really congested so that I couldn't always tell what was going on in a more complex mix.

So I finally gave in and put the cable I normally used with EE LX, EVO, and Odyssey on the Raven... a DHC Symbiote OCC Silver Litz 8-wire. Wow, what a difference! Sub-lows came back big and super clean. Congested low-mids cleared up completely, and mids & highs are super refined, extended, and smooth.

Seriously, if you haven't tried a good pure silver litz cable, I think you may be missing out on how great Raven really is.

Overall, I think Raven sounds like a better Odyssey. It's got lows and sub-lows really close to as full and powerful as EVO, but with warm-ish lower-midrange. The mid-range & lower treble seems to have a more even frequency response than Odyssey. Odyssey seemed to have a little dip in the mids/upper-mids that was exacerbated by a bit of a peak in the lower treble, which made it seem to have a hole in the mids on some tracks. And then Raven for sure has much more extended highs, very smooth, and never peaky or shrill.

I noticed some early opinions about Raven's sound seemed to think it was a brighter IEM. I might've felt that way a little early on, but after it burned in for awhile, I don't hear that at all. It's a fun, engaging sound, but still layered and resolving, with the excellent sub-low end and lows you expect from Empire Ears. But this time it seems like EE got the warmth that was missing from some of their other IEMs. And definitely mids and highs are the best I've heard yet from EE.

I also remember some pre-release demo Ravens were described as being a much better, more refined Legend X. I'd have to say after burning in Raven and my ears for a few weeks, and switching to the DHC Silver Litz 8-wire cable, I can definitely hear it that way. It's like a super refined hi-def hi-end Legend X on hi-fi steroids, if it were "fixed" to be exactly what I wanted... with warm lower-mids, a much more refined, balanced and present mid-range, and an extended smooth high-end. For my sound preferences, that's an excellent trait.

Super happy with the Raven, and glad EE got it all sorted and back on track... ending up with what to me is by far their best IEM yet.

Caveat, though... you made need that pure silver litz cable to enjoy Raven as much I am!
;-D
Plussound Hybrid+ or EA Chiron also does a very good job 😉 I felt the same in terms of the stock being the bottleneck. Hybrid+ makes it very dynamic and even more spacious, Chiron leans it more technical and takes a way a little of the mid bass while emphasising holography.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #40,217 of 40,646
Plussound Hybrid+ or EA Chiron also does a very good job 😉 I felt the same in terms of the stock being the bottleneck. Hybrid+ makes it very dynamic and even more spacious, Chiron leans it more technical and takes a way a little of the mid bass while emphasising holography.
I ordered a Fir Electron 12 cable for mine

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #40,219 of 40,646
yes, ear to ear is the perfect description. The hybrid+ pushs the width about an inch and a bit past the ears.

I'll have to bug Jack about cable rolling this at NYC to compare lmao.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #40,220 of 40,646
Let us know how it is!
I was going to get the EA Code 24C LTD but I love the stock Rn6 cable. The electron cable is the same construction (coaxial, very pliable) but copper rather than pure silver!

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #40,221 of 40,646
I was going to get the EA Code 24C LTD but I love the stock Rn6 cable. The electron cable is the same construction (coaxial, very pliable) but copper rather than pure silver!
The Electron and Rn6 cables are identical except for the sheathing (both copper plated silver).

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #40,222 of 40,646
The Electron and Rn6 cables are identical except for the sheathing (both copper plated silver).
Confirmed by myself since FiR sent my Rn6 with E12 cable by mistake :)

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #40,223 of 40,646
Even better ✊🏼!

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #40,224 of 40,646
Honestly, the cable that comes with Raven is not doing it any favors. For the first time in awhile, I was gonna do my best to stay on the original cable and get it and my ears burned-in with it. But after a couple weeks, I felt like overall the sound was missing a little hi-end and especially sub low-end. Also mids low-mids seemed really congested so that I couldn't always tell what was going on in a more complex mix.

So I finally gave in and put the cable I normally used with EE LX, EVO, and Odyssey on the Raven... a DHC Symbiote OCC Silver Litz 8-wire. Wow, what a difference! Sub-lows came back big and super clean. Congested low-mids cleared up completely, and mids & highs are super refined, extended, and smooth.

Seriously, if you haven't tried a good pure silver litz cable, I think you may be missing out on how great Raven really is.

Overall, I think Raven sounds like a better Odyssey. It's got lows and sub-lows really close to as full and powerful as EVO, but with warm-ish lower-midrange. The mid-range & lower treble seems to have a more even frequency response than Odyssey. Odyssey seemed to have a little dip in the mids/upper-mids that was exacerbated by a bit of a peak in the lower treble, which made it seem to have a hole in the mids on some tracks. And then Raven for sure has much more extended highs, very smooth, and never peaky or shrill.

I noticed some early opinions about Raven's sound seemed to think it was a brighter IEM. I might've felt that way a little early on, but after it burned in for awhile, I don't hear that at all. It's a fun, engaging sound, but still layered and resolving, with the excellent sub-low end and lows you expect from Empire Ears. But this time it seems like EE got the warmth that was missing from some of their other IEMs. And definitely mids and highs are the best I've heard yet from EE.

I also remember some pre-release demo Ravens were described as being a much better, more refined Legend X. I'd have to say after burning in Raven and my ears for a few weeks, and switching to the DHC Silver Litz 8-wire cable, I can definitely hear it that way. It's like a super refined hi-def hi-end Legend X on hi-fi steroids, if it were "fixed" to be exactly what I wanted... with warm lower-mids, a much more refined, balanced and present mid-range, and an extended smooth high-end. For my sound preferences, that's an excellent trait.

Super happy with the Raven, and glad EE got it all sorted and back on track... ending up with what to me is by far their best IEM yet.

Caveat, though... you made need that pure silver litz cable to enjoy Raven as much I am!
;-D

I almost wonder sometime if these cables are a point of conflict during a new audio product release, this time specifically regarding IEM's. Many of these companies, I would assume use the same handful of cable manufacturers. Curious if there is any sort of exclusivity to cable components, make-up or design which prohibits another manufacturer from using a similar configuration, even if it's the best sounding combination for their product. Anyone have any ideas?

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #40,225 of 40,646
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #40,226 of 40,646
That's being nice. Very nice 😅
Same one on the EVO? If so, yes. Very generous, but ITS PW!!! they make 3,000 cables! Much premium, such branding.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #40,227 of 40,646
Same one on the EVO? If so, yes. Very generous, but ITS PW!!! they make 3,000 cables! Much premium, such branding.
Oh come on guys, don't be so mean! The cable is black, the IEMs are black so they fit together perfectly. Who doesn't like cheapo print on splitter logos in the era of CNC'd eletech splitters :)

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #40,228 of 40,646

;-D
What tracks do you use to test brightness and highs extension? I tried my plussound Trisilver and didn't come to the same conclusion

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #40,229 of 40,646
Oh come on guys, don't be so mean! The cable is black, the IEMs are black so they fit together perfectly. Who doesn't like cheapo print on splitter logos in the era of CNC'd eletech splitters :)
You mean splitters that free slide around completely defeating the purpose?

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #40,230 of 40,646
You mean splitters that free slide around completely defeating the purpose?
I guess you are referring to chin sliders, not splitters? Most (all?) Eletech cables do not even have a slider. I don’t use the slider so that’s not an issue for me personally, but they can be quite loose on some cables indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back