Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #40,171 of 40,629
Exactly, I use a MS Crystal/Xelastec and M everything else. Unfortunately, my left BCD wasn't seated properly that's why my units are out for repair 😭😭😭
I'll also need to get some Corrier Brass in for my final tip roll. I think i'll pass on the Eletech Baroque's as I don't feel they'll be substantially different than the Earfit regs or the Spiral Dot ++'s.
I have often read that EE has problems with imbalance in the BCD. Just curious: how do you notice that? How can you accurately test the BCD to make sure it is working properly on both sides?

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #40,172 of 40,629
I have often read that EE has problems with imbalance in the BCD. Just curious: how do you notice that? How can you accurately test the BCD to make sure it is working properly on both sides?
The right IEM had tactile vibrations accross the spectrum for all genres. The left nothing. I could clearly feel it by touching the "rear" (when oriented in ear) and my fingers would "absorb" the vibration which was quite evident. It either works or it doesn't in the case of this technology; therefore there was a severe imbalance, dead BCD, or physically not mounted BCD whereby it could not physically transmit vibration even if it was operational.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #40,175 of 40,629
Not to be argumentative, but I have never read that before.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #40,176 of 40,629
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #40,178 of 40,629
Here in the forum, actually only for Odyssey, but it looks like Raven can also have such problems.
I suppose variations are possible if the conduction unit is the same. Thankfully from what I have seen, they seem quick to remedy these issues. I’ve been lucky enough to only have good experiences with multiple IEM companies. That’s a huge sigh of relief knowing that these quirks can happen and in some markets aren’t handled with any urgency.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #40,179 of 40,629
Raven should be incoming in the next few days. Excited to hear it.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #40,180 of 40,629
i thought they a tad too thick as well, while at e earphone i took the opportunity to listen to the legend x japan edition and definitely preferred the legend x’s presentation of bass over the ravens in terms of the overall coherency. Soundstage and imaging was of course still in raven’s favor
I had a listen to the ravens at zepplin and co back in singapore and i noticed that the bass was much closer to what i heard at canjam and the previous demo that zepp had, so much more enjoyable that the one at e earphone. Not sure if it is the tips or......

I also had a listen to the canpur 622B, which was impressive in its own right, it was like a very good compliment to the raven since they brought slightly different presentation to the table. However, when i swapped out the stock cable for a plussound cable they had on the recommendation of one of the staff, i think i found nirvana.... staging and air was so good it almost sounded like a headphone. It was fun, dynamic yet very natural sounding, it almost felt like a properly powered susvara in iem form. It totally blew the raven away with that pairing

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #40,181 of 40,629
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #40,182 of 40,629
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #40,183 of 40,629
I had a listen to the ravens at zepplin and co back in singapore and i noticed that the bass was much closer to what i heard at canjam and the previous demo that zepp had, so much more enjoyable that the one at e earphone. Not sure if it is the tips or......

I also had a listen to the canpur 622B, which was impressive in its own right, it was like a very good compliment to the raven since they brought slightly different presentation to the table. However, when i swapped out the stock cable for a plussound cable they had on the recommendation of one of the staff, i think i found nirvana.... staging and air was so good it almost sounded like a headphone. It was fun, dynamic yet very natural sounding, it almost felt like a properly powered susvara in iem form. It totally blew the raven away with that pairing
Allow me if I have any doubts... I already don't believe the fact that the DD bass from EE, therefore of quality, is inferior to a BA bass even if I see it... then I can't understand how you can feel an iem for a few minutes/hours and already understand how it feels in its entirety.. let me explain better. I've had the Raven for 20 days and it's not that it particularly affected me.. but only now after having tried at least 8 different tips, different angles, different sources, after adaptation or if you prefer burning... I begin to feel its full potential... the BC only now does its duty.. the image, the soundstage, the oleography are simply enormous and only now cohesive.. much superior to some headphones I have heard.. dare I say astonishing.. up until 2 days ago if they had asked me, I probably would have even given it back to the store.. furthermore, even from the reviews it seems that the Raven has the stage and the oleography as its strong points... so it's not that I don't believe you... but I still have a lot of extreme doubts about this and other comparisons...

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #40,184 of 40,629

Hey there Samurai! Which Plussound cable did you enjoy so much? Thanks!

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #40,185 of 40,629
Allow me if I have any doubts... I already don't believe the fact that the DD bass from EE, therefore of quality, is inferior to a BA bass even if I see it... then I can't understand how you can feel an iem for a few minutes/hours and already understand how it feels in its entirety.. let me explain better. I've had the Raven for 20 days and it's not that it particularly affected me.. but only now after having tried at least 8 different tips, different angles, different sources, after adaptation or if you prefer burning... I begin to feel its full potential... the BC only now does its duty.. the image, the soundstage, the oleography are simply enormous and only now cohesive.. much superior to some headphones I have heard.. dare I say astonishing.. up until 2 days ago if they had asked me, I probably would have even given it back to the store.. furthermore, even from the reviews it seems that the Raven has the stage and the oleography as its strong points... so it's not that I don't believe you... but I still have a lot of extreme doubts about this and other comparisons...
Like i said if it was just the canpur 622B with its own stockcable on it, felt more like a side step to the ravens. Ravens were more natural while the 622B was more incisive. The plussound cable was the thing that really put the 622B as a pairing over stock raven. I didnt try the plussound cable on the raven so it could be an unfair judgement; didnt do it because the staff didnt try that pairing either, did it for canpur because he did and was blown away by the pairing.

Also, the ravens definitely had more thump, meatiness and weight to the bass for obvious reasons, but the canpur with the plussound had a nicer balance of midbass thump and weight and subbass texture and would put it somewhere between odin bass and raven bass if that makes sense.

All these are of course very subjective and while i like the presentation of the canpur’s bass it might not be your cup of tea, so i can understand your skepticism.

Anyways, while i dont always agree with BGGAR, he was also very confused and surprised how good the Canpur’s BA bass was and has also put it above the Ravens, Fatfreq GM and Subtonic Storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back