Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #39,571 of 40,577
I am in the Legend X camp as well. Especially if you have never heard it, it is a Legend just like the Z1R. Bassiest, I don't think so, but it is certainly bass focused and very smooth overall for long listening sessions. Lacking the clarity in the upper mids compared to EVO, but the Legend X has never been about that. It is like a warm, heavy blanket on a cold day. Many of us have owned it multiple times.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #39,573 of 40,577
Lacking the clarity in the upper mids compared to EVO
If you have the EVO cable give it a try on the X. It gives the upper mids some punch through.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #39,574 of 40,577
I'd take the EVO over Legend X 8/10 times with the caveat that you're using EVO with a Plussound Copper+ cable... With that cable EVO becomes more like a Legend X 2.0 rather than a bassier, less technical Odin.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #39,575 of 40,577
I'd say the EVOs (also Odyssey and Ravens) brings a very different experience to bass because of the bone conduction driver. It depends on fit (though a looser fit still envelopes a good sense of bass) and tips. Apart from that, the EVOs sound fuller across the full frequency range. I've demoed the Legend X (gold JP edition), they were more tinny and felt like they tried to squeeze out the micro details by sharpening the upper mids. Expected a lot of bass, though going from EVO to LX it didn't really register on me.

The EVOs really have a physical texture to its bass, visceral and tangible are how I'd describe the IEMs as a whole.
Had a small time-sensitive query, I am looking to purchase a bass-heavy IEM and have always had my sights set on scoring a Legend X at a good price but wanted to confirm if the original Legend X is still the bassiest IEM offered by Empire Ears in terms of raw quantity. I had taken a break from the audiophile hobby when EVO got released but I see that they're equipped with W10 drivers versus the W9 on the Legend X. So could anyone let me know if the original Legend X would still be the way to go if I was just looking for gobs of bass, regardless of quality and refinement?

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #39,576 of 40,577
I'd say the EVOs (also Odyssey and Ravens) brings a very different experience to bass because of the bone conduction driver. It depends on fit (though a looser fit still envelopes a good sense of bass) and tips. Apart from that, the EVOs sound fuller across the full frequency range. I've demoed the Legend X (gold JP edition), they were more tinny and felt like they tried to squeeze out the micro details by sharpening the upper mids. Expected a lot of bass, though going from EVO to LX it didn't really register on me.

The EVOs really have a physical texture to its bass, visceral and tangible are how I'd describe the IEMs as a whole.
I agree. I recently had to go back to my LX from Odyssey and EVO temporarily due to a couple of different incidents that left me without them. I found the mids and highs to be a little unrefined & harsh on LX by comparison. And while the lows were okay, I found myself cranking up the volume a little too much trying to get the same impact and low end as the EVO and Odyssey. Needless to say, even cranking the volume on the LX didn't give me the same quality of low end as EVO & Odyssey. Luckily I got my EVO back repaired, and even repurchased a used Odyssey to hold me over until the Raven shows up.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #39,577 of 40,577
Thanks to everyone for all the advice, it seems the EVO can be made to sound like a more refined Legend X without sacrificing on the bass possibly using aftermarket cables. However, the total package would be outside my budget for now. I just went for Fatfreq Scarlet Mini that was brought to my attention in another thread as being bass cannons and looking at the frequency response it seems to be in another league in terms of raw bass output. It no doubt is a tier or two below the LX overall, but it seems to fit what I'm looking for right now and within my current budget. Hope to try the Ravens someday but need to save up for a bit before then, this Black Friday was particularly devastating to my pockets.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #39,579 of 40,577
Also, does anyone know a good way to loosen an eartip so that I can avoid apply too much stress on the nozzle?
Depends a bit on what eartip you are talking about, but most silicon eartips that are designed to fit a 4mm or larger nozzle should be able to be worked on any of the EE iems, including raven, with some some patience and without too much force. You probably aren't going to be able to get eartips designed for much narrower nozzled iems (eg sure, westone) onto EE iems though. It is possible to take a needle nose pliers and stick it inside the stalk of the eartip to stretch them a bit, but honestly, given that EE uses smooth nozzles that slightly flare at the tip but don't have lips or rims on them, I wouldnt recommend trying to stretch out an eartip nozzle because you will more likely than not end up with an eartip that ends up slipping off the iem and getting stuck in your ear canal when you try to remove the iems. I wish EE put a more pronounced rim on their nozzles that would prevent eartips from sliding off, but thats not what they do, so I've found the snugger the fit of the eartip on the nozzle, the better. As eartips sit on the iems, and as you wear them and oils/sweat, etc from your ears get on the iems and eartips, they end up getting looser. With my EE iems, I find myself pretty regularly (more frequently than with other brands) wiping down the iems and in particular the nozzles and insides of the eartip stems with alcohol wipes to remove any oils so the tips don't start slipping on the nozzles. I haven't had the issue of eartips slipping off and my Ravens yet though--they seem to have a more pronounced flare at the tip of the nozzle to help keep tips on.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #39,581 of 40,577
Raven v2 is here. Cable swap works now like a super smooth action. Yeah the soundstage, bass, clarity this is my baby maybe a little better in bass now!
Would you be able to provide some comparisons with other top sets?

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #39,583 of 40,577
Raven v2 is here. Cable swap works now like a super smooth action. Yeah the soundstage, bass, clarity this is my baby maybe a little better in bass now!
That’s my experience, too! With my first pair, I destroyed the shell with just a slight tug to try to change the cable. With the revised pair, cable changes easily. Sound stages incredible. These sound like Odins but with deeper and more precise bass. A winner.

Speaking of winners, EE’s handling of the situation was exemplary. They recognized a problem and dealt with it candidly quickly and well. One simply cannot ask for better customer service.

Attachments

• IMG_8367.jpeg
    IMG_8367.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back