Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 28, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #39,556 of 40,599
I trust this message finds you all well. Please find below some crucial updates regarding the RAVEN:

RAVEN Launch Edition – Mirror Gold:

I've been steadfastly present at the CNC, polishing, and coating facilities, personally overseeing the final touches to ensure our mirror gold faceplates adhere to the exemplary standard that was initially presented. Despite the diligence, we've encountered a series of setbacks, with an unexpectedly high failure rate due to visible polishing imperfections and cosmetic flaws, such as those evidenced in the photo below. After much deliberation and effort to rectify these issues, we've mutually decided to part ways with the current vendor.

Around 140 unit of the launch editions will have the mirror gold finish. The remainder will be finished in the new Satin Gold.

RAVEN Launch Edition – Satin Gold:

The remaining launch edition units will feature a satin gold finish, achieved through a meticulous process of ball blasting, electroplating, and ceramic coating, finalized with an anti-fingerprint layer. This alternative approach significantly reduces the failure rate and allows for a swifter production cycle. Though the finish differs from the original mirror polish, it remains a premium offering.

I understand this update may come as a surprise, and I ask for your understanding. Adopting this new finish is a crucial decision made to maintain the high standards of quality you expect from us and to expedite delivery amidst the challenges we've faced. I appreciate your patience and support as we work tirelessly to bring you a product that not only meets but exceeds expectations without further delay.

The remainder of the launch editions is estimated to be completed by the end of the month.

RAVEN Standard Edition – Satin Black:

Similar to the matte gold, the standard edition will sport a satin black finish, offering a sleek and modern aesthetic.

Standard Editions are set to ship by the second week of December.

I’m indifferent here.. As 1 of the 140 recipients of the ‘revised’ mirror gold finish, what assurances do I have that the finish will hold up? Clearly there were QA/QC issues in maintaining a consistent finish throughout the process. So I now have to assume a risk to MY finish in time. Yes, variety is great when the consumer is given the option to choose but I didn’t spend $3.6k to enter a lottery. To be clear, Yes, I purchased the gold version but with an expectation that, when handled appropriately, the Ravens finish would hold up in time. All correspondence to date has pointed in the other direction. I’ve been pretty happy with the handling of the issues thus far but I can’t say I’m thrilled about this notification posting AFTER receiving my replacement unit. I could 100% be overreacting and the finish of my Ravens will hold up BUT what if they don’t. I don’t want to be stuck arguing with EE, trying to justify how I care for my products and whether an aesthetic issue is a result of me or from manufacturing..

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #39,557 of 40,599
I’m indifferent here.. As 1 of the 140 recipients of the ‘revised’ mirror gold finish, what assurances do I have that the finish will hold up? Clearly there were QA/QC issues in maintaining a consistent finish throughout the process. So I now have to assume a risk to MY finish in time. Yes, variety is great when the consumer is given the option to choose but I didn’t spend $3.6k to enter a lottery. To be clear, Yes, I purchased the gold version but with an expectation that, when handled appropriately, the Ravens finish would hold up in time. All correspondence to date has pointed in the other direction. I’ve been pretty happy with the handling of the issues thus far but I can’t say I’m thrilled about this notification posting AFTER receiving my replacement unit. I could 100% be overreacting and the finish of my Ravens will hold up BUT what if they don’t. I don’t want to be stuck arguing with EE, trying to justify how I care for my products and whether an aesthetic issue is a result of me or from manufacturing..

Well, for context... It was occurring during the plating process and was not something as a result of handling down the line or poor durability. This is from errant prep or rogue dust/material particles, and under the coating. If yours are good as is, standard care should keep them that way. Any metal finish or plating can obviously be susceptible to swirl marks from abrasive items rubbing them or scratching from contact with another hard sharp surface, but this would be evident as it would be above or on the gold plating. Give them a good hard inspection under direct light to be sure just for peace of mind.

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #39,558 of 40,599
@CL14715 To start, I mean no disrespect with my reply. This gold plating process is not something revolutionary. It may not be typical for this use case, but it’s a process thats been utilized for decades. Errant prep or rogue dust is a factor when applying any finish, which is why any reputable company offering this service would have measures in place to mitigated this risk. Also, the photo shared highlighting scratches and looked to be well beyond the coating process. Like everyone here, all I know is there was a high failure rate. Just because a few passed a visual inspection doesn’t mean they won’t do the same after a month of ‘cleaning‘. I guess this isn’t even really the route I was trying to go with my original message. To better elaborate on my concern, let’s run a scenario.

- I post my 3 month old Launch Edition Ravens for sale - They show signs of use because, well its inevitable (micro scratches/ light swirls)
- Subject B posts his matte finish launch edition for sale at the same price - They show next to no signs of use due to the natural masking effect of a matte finish
Both units are posted for the same price. Which one are you buying?

I think its safe to say that the majority of use take resale value into account when purchasing flagship IEM’s. Unless I handle with white gloves during every listening session, my investment is at an immediate disadvantage. Again, we are talking what if’s and only time will tell but I hope this better explains. I’m not even sure if I’d swap them given the option. But the point is there was no opportunity.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #39,559 of 40,599
To start, I mean no disrespect with my reply. This gold plating process is not something revolutionary. It may not be typical for this use case, but it’s a process thats been utilized for decades. Errant prep or rogue dust is a factor when applying any finish, which is why any reputable company offering this service would have measures in place to mitigated this risk. Also, the photo shared highlighting scratches and looked to be well beyond the coating process. Like everyone here, all I know is there was a high failure rate. Just because a few passed a visual inspection doesn’t mean they won’t do the same after a month of ‘cleaning‘. I guess this isn’t even really the route I was trying to go with my original message. To better elaborate on my concern, let’s run a scenario.

- I post my 3 month old Launch Edition Ravens for sale - They show signs of use because, well its inevitable (micro scratches/ light swirls)
- Subject B posts his matte finish launch edition for sale at the same price - They show next to no signs of use due to the natural masking effect of a matte finish
Both units are posted for the same price. Which one are you buying?

I think its safe to say that the majority of use take resale value into account when purchasing flagship IEM’s. Unless I handle with white gloves during every listening session, my investment is at an immediate disadvantage. Again, we are talking what if’s and only time will tell but I hope this better explains.
No, no, you have a valid point rooted in common sense. I understand completely. I was just saying that the poor prep is what caused those defects and they were revealed by the plating or occurred during the plating process from poor defect mitigation standards as you mentioned. It wasn't anything that occurred because durability was questionable after the fact. They are durable but lets be real, they are plated metal. Even solid precious metals are subject to wear and tear unfortunately. I think most of us kinda assumed that going into it once the design was revealed. That was the reality then but no longer the reality now with antiquation of the original design.

I can't speak directly for EE but there's no harm in bringing it to their attention if you happen to find yourself more comfortable with a bead blasted finish for your stated concerns. As an early adopter who has remained patient and steadfast during delays, I would say it's worth a shot if it is weighing on your mind.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #39,560 of 40,599
In the context of DE razors some manufacturers go as far as to advise against microfibre cloths on gold-plated DE razors as microfibre is still too abrasive. And if you own reading glasses or sunglasses you know not all microfibre is made the same. So yeah the launch edition Raven looks pretty of course but I do not think its realistic to maintain the appearance. If you insist on a flawless look then imo it means a swappable faceplate system

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #39,561 of 40,599
It is my understanding that even the shiny gold faceplates have an oleophobic coating as well per Jack's post on page 2630. Here is what he said:

Faceplate Journey - Our venture into the detailed metallurgy required for RAVEN's faceplates, complete with raised logos and a mirror finish, demanded precision in CNC machining, polishing, and coating. My hands-on approach in hand-polishing prototypes set a benchmark for quality, steering us through an exacting learning curve. Despite a number of setbacks, we have persevered to produce faceplates that not only uphold our commitment to quality but also now feature an additional oleophobic nano-coating. This extra protective measure not only ensures the faceplates retain their visual allure but also makes them easier to maintain, significantly elevating the overall user experience.

So I hope this helps protect those of us with the shiny faceplates. I do like the shiny faceplate with the shiny lacquer. However, I would be just as happy with the satin finish as it looks nice too and likely more durable.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #39,563 of 40,599
I trust this message finds you all well. Please find below some crucial updates regarding the RAVEN:

RAVEN Launch Edition – Mirror Gold:

I've been steadfastly present at the CNC, polishing, and coating facilities, personally overseeing the final touches to ensure our mirror gold faceplates adhere to the exemplary standard that was initially presented. Despite the diligence, we've encountered a series of setbacks, with an unexpectedly high failure rate due to visible polishing imperfections and cosmetic flaws, such as those evidenced in the photo below. After much deliberation and effort to rectify these issues, we've mutually decided to part ways with the current vendor.

Around 140 unit of the launch editions will have the mirror gold finish. The remainder will be finished in the new Satin Gold.

RAVEN Launch Edition – Satin Gold:

The remaining launch edition units will feature a satin gold finish, achieved through a meticulous process of ball blasting, electroplating, and ceramic coating, finalized with an anti-fingerprint layer. This alternative approach significantly reduces the failure rate and allows for a swifter production cycle. Though the finish differs from the original mirror polish, it remains a premium offering.

I understand this update may come as a surprise, and I ask for your understanding. Adopting this new finish is a crucial decision made to maintain the high standards of quality you expect from us and to expedite delivery amidst the challenges we've faced. I appreciate your patience and support as we work tirelessly to bring you a product that not only meets but exceeds expectations without further delay.

The remainder of the launch editions is estimated to be completed by the end of the month.

RAVEN Standard Edition – Satin Black:

Similar to the matte gold, the standard edition will sport a satin black finish, offering a sleek and modern aesthetic.

Standard Editions are set to ship by the second week of December.

_DSC8942.jpg
_DSC8944.jpg
_DSC8947.jpg
_DSC8951.jpg

I've waited a long time.
I finally received the new revised edition.
Thank you JACK for your dedication.

The matte version is nice, but I like the shiny version.
I'm not good at writing, so I can't write reviews, but
I took some great photos.
:pray::pray::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #39,564 of 40,599
_DSC8942.jpg_DSC8944.jpg_DSC8947.jpg_DSC8951.jpg
I've waited a long time.

A photo is worth a 1000 words, especially one of this caliber

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #39,565 of 40,599

I've waited a long time.

Damn… you weren’t messing around with these photos! I may save one as my phone background 😂

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #39,566 of 40,599
Had a small time-sensitive query, I am looking to purchase a bass-heavy IEM and have always had my sights set on scoring a Legend X at a good price but wanted to confirm if the original Legend X is still the bassiest IEM offered by Empire Ears in terms of raw quantity. I had taken a break from the audiophile hobby when EVO got released but I see that they're equipped with W10 drivers versus the W9 on the Legend X. So could anyone let me know if the original Legend X would still be the way to go if I was just looking for gobs of bass, regardless of quality and refinement?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #39,567 of 40,599
Had a small time-sensitive query, I am looking to purchase a bass-heavy IEM and have always had my sights set on scoring a Legend X at a good price but wanted to confirm if the original Legend X is still the bassiest IEM offered by Empire Ears in terms of raw quantity. I had taken a break from the audiophile hobby when EVO got released but I see that they're equipped with W10 drivers versus the W9 on the Legend X. So could anyone let me know if the original Legend X would still be the way to go if I was just looking for gobs of bass, regardless of quality and refinement?
Legend X and EVO are more-or-less tied, bass-quantity-wise. I’d say the X’s overall sig highlights the bass more than the EVO’s, which has quite a bit of upper-mid emphasis too. The W10 driver on the EVO is actually a bone conduction driver. It’s more for imaging. The bass is still delivered by a pair of 9mm drivers, just like the X, but it’s the newer generation W9+ DD, versus the X’s first-generation W9.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #39,568 of 40,599
Legend X and EVO are more-or-less tied, bass-quantity-wise. I’d say the X’s overall sig highlights the bass more than the EVO’s, which has quite a bit of upper-mid emphasis too. The W10 driver on the EVO is actually a bone conduction driver. It’s more for imaging. The bass is still delivered by a pair of 9mm drivers, just like the X, but it’s the newer generation W9+ DD, versus the X’s first-generation W9.
Thanks for the quick reply! I do prefer a warmer sound signature overall so Legend X might be more my cup of tea. I'll actually sift through the thread to read more impressions of Raven before deciding on a purchase, seems like I'm quite behind still on what's the latest and greatest.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #39,569 of 40,599
Thanks for the quick reply! I do prefer a warmer sound signature overall so Legend X might be more my cup of tea. I'll actually sift through the thread to read more impressions of Raven before deciding on a purchase, seems like I'm quite behind still on what's the latest and greatest.
I've just re-bought the X. I too prefer a warmer signature and definitely prefer X's warmer, earthier, smoother tonality despite EVO's technical 'superiority'. For me X is just a much easier IEM to listen to than EVO, and ultimately that's what matters more (to me).

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #39,570 of 40,599
I've just re-bought the X. I too prefer a warmer signature and definitely prefer X's warmer, earthier, smoother tonality despite EVO's technical 'superiority'. For me X is just a much easier IEM to listen to than EVO, and ultimately that's what matters more (to me).
I would like to double like your post. I have both X and EVO and totally agree with your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back