Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 16, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #37,741 of 40,724
I also had the chance to meet Jack and listen to the Empire Ears lineup at Axpona yesterday. As others have said, he stood out in his interest in you and learning a bit about what you like about the hobby. I listened to a variety including the Ravens and the Odins - first time experiencing their lineup - then went around and listened to others including Campfire Audio and a variety of traditional headphones but came back again later to take a listen to the Odins again. For me they seemed to be what I liked best and one of the highlights of the show. I ended up leaving with a pair - so I am excited to join the Empire family.

I have been listening to full size headphones over the last couple years and excited to get something that I can use at the office or other locations around the house that is not my main listening area.

Glad that my set sounds as good or better than what i experienced at the show, and while I am still in that "honeymoon" period I am really enjoying them.

It is interesting that everyones hearing and preferences mean that there is no one perfect design or tuning that is "right" for everyone and I really apprecieted the ability to hear how some of the equipment sounded for me at the show yesterday vs. reading in threads here and basing purchasing decision based on that.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #37,742 of 40,724
He was there? That's my playground (2 channel audio). If I knew, I'd have tried to get him to head to the Vandersteen Audio room and meet Richard Vandersteen. He's a dear friend and on the Mount Rushmore of Speaker designers in the world. So cool.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #37,743 of 40,724
Getting ready for "Raven" and inspiration for next ink

380947c59a86d5ae8cd393253ce26476-2186772852.jpeg

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #37,745 of 40,724
Getting ready for "Raven" and inspiration for next ink

I don’t know if that’s appropriate for a family forum. :wink: :wink: :wink:
I don’t know if that’s appropriate for a family forum. :wink: :wink: :wink:

However, that’s exactly how I have dreamed the Raven would look. Excellent.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #37,746 of 40,724
I was thrilled that Empire Ears showed up at AXPONA because I finally got to hear the Odins. After absolutely hating the hot high end of the Valks when I tried them at CanJam NYC 2020, I was extremely wary of the e-stats in the Odins, But, my fears were unwarranted, and custom Odins will arrive in a matter of weeks. The only issue for me is that their low 3 ohm impedance is more than my USB dongle DACs can handle at higher volumes (DACs tried: Clarus Coda and Dragon Fly Cobalt), so I'll have to get a more robust amp. I have my Ray Samuels Intruder on consignment because its ancient Mini USB jack doesn't work with USB-C MacBooks, even with an adapter. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a Chord Mojo 2?

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #37,747 of 40,724
I was thrilled that Empire Ears showed up at AXPONA because I finally got to hear the Odins. After absolutely hating the hot high end of the Valks when I tried them at CanJam NYC 2020, I was extremely wary of the e-stats in the Odins, But, my fears were unwarranted, and custom Odins will arrive in a matter of weeks. The only issue for me is that their low 3 ohm impedance is more than my USB dongle DACs can handle at higher volumes (DACs tried: Clarus Coda and Dragon Fly Cobalt), so I'll have to get a more robust amp. I have my Ray Samuels Intruder on consignment because its ancient Mini USB jack doesn't work with USB-C MacBooks, even with an adapter. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a Chord Mojo 2?

I have heard the Odins on the Chord Hugo 2 and Mojo 2. Both sounded excellent to me.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #37,750 of 40,724
Can I just double check, Raven sound is closer to Odin or Evo?
Between ODIN and EVO, I’d probably say ODIN, simply because the highs on the Raven and the EVO are worlds apart; much more extended, airy and refined on the Raven. But, I wouldn’t say it’s like ODIN either. It might actually sound closest to Odyssey to me, but more coherent, dynamic (or big-sounding) and airy/open up top.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #37,751 of 40,724
Between ODIN and EVO, I’d probably say ODIN, simply because the highs on the Raven and the EVO are worlds apart; much more extended, airy and refined on the Raven. But, I wouldn’t say it’s like ODIN either. It might actually sound closest to Odyssey to me, but more coherent, dynamic (or big-sounding) and airy/open up top.
Thanks Bro, sounds like Raven might be my next upgrade:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #37,752 of 40,724
Can someone comment on synergy of EVO and Topping G5?

My favourite so far is FiiO K7 followed by ZEN DACv2

My portables are M6 Pro which is slightly too warm but good overall and Go Blu which is not a good match at all

And to contribute something on cable synergy my favourite so far is 4 core silver plated single chrystal copper followed by 8 core pure silver, both from XINHS.

The silver plated single christal copper allows the treble to shine even more than the silver cable does and also tightens the bass the most with still enough quantity left

Imho the stock cable was a bad decission sonically speaking

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #37,753 of 40,724
Can I just double check, Raven sound is closer to Odin or Evo?

It sounds like Evo in bass quality and quantity, but a more complete Odyssey where the mids are cleaned up and in higher quality. I haven’t tried out the full collection like Deezel has, but the Odin does seem like the odd duck when you compare the LX, Evo, Odin, Odyssey and Raven. Then again it doesn’t have the W10 driver that adds an extra layer of bass.

So to answer your question, if you’re looking for closer to EVO bass, but with a more complete rounded sound, then you’ll like Raven. If you found EVO bass off-putting then you probably wouldn’t like Raven. But at the end of the day, give it a try.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #37,754 of 40,724
Raven is definitely appealing to me. It almost seems like it takes the best bits of the other EE line up. The only thing I hope it doesn’t have is the forward upper mids that the Odin had. From reading reviews and impressions of people here it doesn’t seem like Raven has these.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #37,755 of 40,724
Raven is definitely appealing to me. It almost seems like it takes the best bits of the other EE line up. The only thing I hope it doesn’t have is the forward upper mids that the Odin had. From reading reviews and impressions of people here it doesn’t seem like Raven has these.
It doesn't and is one of the reasons I'm probably passing on the Raven until a closer to Odin successor ever comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back