Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 12, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #37,726 of 40,580
Welcome @SoundFlow to Headfi.

I think there are quite a few of us waiting for more impressions of Raven, myself included.
@Deezel177 did a great impressions write up on Raven in the CanJam SG thread. Check that out. I agree with it.

Raven is outstanding. I am def going to buy it when it comes out.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #37,727 of 40,580
@Deezel177 did a great impressions write up on Raven in the CanJam SG thread. Check that out. I agree with it.

I saw that. He wrote such a great piece on it. It's actually the post that really put it on my radar while going through this thread. Seems like its between Raven and Rn6 for me honestly.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #37,728 of 40,580
I saw that. He wrote such a great piece on it. It's actually the post that really put it on my radar while going through this thread. Seems like its between Raven and Rn6 for me honestly.
Tough call. They are both great.

They are so different that you will know immediately after listening to them side by side to see which one stands out to you.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #37,729 of 40,580
In other news, after hearing some glowing reports here on combining the EA Code 23 with Legend X, I decided to try the Code 23 with the EE Phantom.
Now, I love the pretty unique sound signature and timbre of the Phantom, so in fact my ideal is a cable that stays close to that original signature but maybe adds a bit more bass impact, or a bit more detail.. just minor tweaks really.

To my ears, the Code 23 made quite a significant difference.
The soundstage seemed to open up further and separation increased. I felt a lift, I think in the upper mids, and some improvement in detail retrieval.

However, in doing so, it did seem to change the sound signature to a slightly more conventional one; albeit an extremely good one!
I could imagine this combination could perhaps allow people, who had previously not found the Phantom entirely to their taste, to enjoy the Phantom or even love it.

Conversely, for those who already love the Phantom's sound signature, this combo at least offers something new and different, much like the way a new (and excellent) IEM can offer a new and delightful way of hearing familiar music :)

Anyway, just giving some love for an older EE model which is still getting a lot of mileage with me.

Now, back to the Raven anticipation and excitement :D
Code 23 & LX is a great combo. It’s good to know that it adds something to the Phantom too.

Thanks for the info. I’ll certainly go and check that out.

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #37,730 of 40,580
Tough call. They are both great.

They are so different that you will know immediately after listening to them side by side to see which one stands out to you.
Definitely Raven for me!

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #37,731 of 40,580
In terms of size, is the Odyssey more the size of the EVO, or more like the Odin? Any comments on the fit in general, I appreciate our anatomy is all different :)

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #37,732 of 40,580
In terms of size, is the Odyssey more the size of the EVO, or more like the Odin? Any comments on the fit in general, I appreciate our anatomy is all different :)
I would like the size of EVO, Odin and Raven compared. Odin might get my win though as I prefer Custom.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #37,733 of 40,580

Thanks for the shoutout, Jim! I’ll share the Raven bit from my impressions here. It’s definitely in the top 3 of what I heard at the show. If @Jack Vang and co. will consider a one-off custom, it might end up on my Christmas shopping list too. 😁

Empire Ears

Among the numerous friendships I’ve made throughout my time in the industry, Jack Vang is one of the closest ones, and I think that’s a sentiment a lot of us who’ve met him can share. He’s a warm, personable dude who’s generous with his time, honest to a fault and always open for a good bro hug. After catching up on what we’ve missed over the past couple years, ruminating on our individual struggles and successes and getting all that personal stuff out of the way, I gave his newest flagship - the EE Raven - a go.

Raven

The Raven was, without question, EE’s most balanced-sounding and most technically-sound monitor yet. And, all it took was them finally catching the frequency range that’s eluded them most: The treble. After disappointing on the EVO and falling short on the Odyssey, the Raven, at last, delivered a top-end that extended and aerified for days. Then, correcting where the ODIN and Phantom erred, the Raven featured a smooth, even-handed, abrupt-peak-free tone that hit the mark to my ears; just precise, crisp and open enough with no artificiality to speak of. It’s the first EE in-ear I’d heard that didn’t smear or trail at all throughout the FR; an effortlessly snappy piece.

Once that’s done, it just made everything they’d already nailed go up a level. EE’s signature W9+ woofers delivered their world-famous bass, now cleaner-etched and less intrusive; not because they’d cut them down in any way, but because the treble finally made the room for it. And, taking community feedback to heart, they’d balanced the midrange better than any of their previous monitors, resulting in more of a centre-mid focus that’s bold, meaty and, most of all, appropriately-sized against the lows. One of my issues with the Odyssey was midrange notes always seemed smaller than bass ones, such that crescendos in horns, guitars and vocals never really hit and peaked like they were supposed to. The only ones that did were bass drops. On the Raven, because everything’s on equal footing in quantity and in size, the whole FR ebbed as one, so those climaxes - those theatrics - hit like they should.

For me, the Raven hit so many just right’s; more than any of EE’s previous releases ever had. While every in-ear is bound to have if’s, but’s and maybe’s, this was the first time I could say EE properly addressed all of their previous complaints. The LX was an answer to the Legend Omega, but some found it a bit bloated or veiled. The ODIN was an answer to the LX, but the upper-mids were overloaded. The Legend EVO was an answer to that, but fell short massively in treble extension. And, the Odyssey was an answer to that, but fell flat in the midrange and the uppermost treble. The Raven was the long-awaited home run. It’s a well-balanced IEM where no frequency outright beat another, yet it managed to still highlight the individual components that make an EE IEM great; i.e. the bass, clearly. The mids were even-toned with the size and power to match. And, the treble was EE’s airiest, most precise and most balanced by a country mile.

So, though where it competes in the larger landscape - against the likes of Elysian, or VE, or Subtonic, or FiR, etc. - is far too soon to be determined, I can say that this was categorically a win for EE themselves. They put their best foot forward with this one, and I’m happy to see them stick the landing. This one’s tied with VE Red and the Nightjar Singularity for my best in show, and it couldn’t have happened to a better group of folks.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #37,735 of 40,580
Thanks for the shoutout, Jim! I’ll share the Raven bit from my impressions here. It’s definitely in the top 3 of what I heard at the show. If @Jack Vang and co. will consider a one-off custom, it might end up on my Christmas shopping list too. 😁

Empire Ears

Among the numerous friendships I’ve made throughout my time in the industry, Jack Vang is one of the closest ones, and I think that’s a sentiment a lot of us who’ve met him can share. He’s a warm, personable dude who’s generous with his time, honest to a fault and always open for a good bro hug. After catching up on what we’ve missed over the past couple years, ruminating on our individual struggles and successes and getting all that personal stuff out of the way, I gave his newest flagship - the EE Raven - a go.

Raven

The Raven was, without question, EE’s most balanced-sounding and most technically-sound monitor yet. And, all it took was them finally catching the frequency range that’s eluded them most: The treble. After disappointing on the EVO and falling short on the Odyssey, the Raven, at last, delivered a top-end that extended and aerified for days. Then, correcting where the ODIN and Phantom erred, the Raven featured a smooth, even-handed, abrupt-peak-free tone that hit the mark to my ears; just precise, crisp and open enough with no artificiality to speak of. It’s the first EE in-ear I’d heard that didn’t smear or trail at all throughout the FR; an effortlessly snappy piece.

Once that’s done, it just made everything they’d already nailed go up a level. EE’s signature W9+ woofers delivered their world-famous bass, now cleaner-etched and less intrusive; not because they’d cut them down in any way, but because the treble finally made the room for it. And, taking community feedback to heart, they’d balanced the midrange better than any of their previous monitors, resulting in more of a centre-mid focus that’s bold, meaty and, most of all, appropriately-sized against the lows. One of my issues with the Odyssey was midrange notes always seemed smaller than bass ones, such that crescendos in horns, guitars and vocals never really hit and peaked like they were supposed to. The only ones that did were bass drops. On the Raven, because everything’s on equal footing in quantity and in size, the whole FR ebbed as one, so those climaxes - those theatrics - hit like they should.

For me, the Raven hit so many just right’s; more than any of EE’s previous releases ever had. While every in-ear is bound to have if’s, but’s and maybe’s, this was the first time I could say EE properly addressed all of their previous complaints. The LX was an answer to the Legend Omega, but some found it a bit bloated or veiled. The ODIN was an answer to the LX, but the upper-mids were overloaded. The Legend EVO was an answer to that, but fell short massively in treble extension. And, the Odyssey was an answer to that, but fell flat in the midrange and the uppermost treble. The Raven was the long-awaited home run. It’s a well-balanced IEM where no frequency outright beat another, yet it managed to still highlight the individual components that make an EE IEM great; i.e. the bass, clearly. The mids were even-toned with the size and power to match. And, the treble was EE’s airiest, most precise and most balanced by a country mile.

So, though where it competes in the larger landscape - against the likes of Elysian, or VE, or Subtonic, or FiR, etc. - is far too soon to be determined, I can say that this was categorically a win for EE themselves. They put their best foot forward with this one, and I’m happy to see them stick the landing. This one’s tied with VE Red and the Nightjar Singularity for my best in show, and it couldn’t have happened to a better group of folks.
That sounds pretty exciting. Thanks very much for posting your impressions. Now we just need EE to hurry up with releasing Raven! :relieved:

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #37,736 of 40,580
how does Raven bass compare to EVO bass?
I think the difference between Raven’s and EVO’s bass will actually come down more to the treble. The bass on Raven will come off more precise and clear-cut, ‘cus its treble extends further and produces more air than the EVO’s. So, it’ll have the same power and slam, but have more resolution and control at the same time. That’s based off of how I remember the EVO, though, I should say. I didn’t A/B them side by side.

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #37,737 of 40,580
I‘d like to share my impression or better said „story“ with my Odysseys.
The first unit i got had very strong bone conduction vibration on the left and nearly nothing on the right side - so i asked the service of A&K and after worldwide shipping and repair at EE they were exchanged - both sides now vibrating the same, but there is a jingeling sound when tapping on one IEM or when playing some bassy songs…

Informed the A&K service again and now a got a brand new set from A&K - BUT - now Nr.3 has also this jingeling sound distortion - now on the other Side and even stronger-
But the most surprising fact is, Nr. 3 sounds really different - weak bass more mids and highs (same DAP, same cable, same tips) -
If you’re comparing Nr. 2 and Nr.3 here in a blind test, you will never agree that these are the same IEM’s.

I really do not know what to do with them…

It does not feel like a nearly 4000$ IEM

:frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #37,738 of 40,580

Heard them yesterday at Axpona. Great but I still prefer Odin bass quantity. I can see why they made Raven as so many prefer extra weight. May vary by player character. Also liked ESR tonality but Odin is clearly a step up overall and my 1st choice from EE, Viva la difference!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #37,739 of 40,580
I‘d like to share my impression or better said „story“ with my Odysseys.
The first unit i got had very strong bone conduction vibration on the left and nearly nothing on the right side - so i asked the service of A&K and a worldwide shipping and repair at EE they were exchanged - both sides now vibrating the same, but there is a jingeling sound when tapping on one IEM or when playing same bassy songs…

Informed and now a got a brand new set from A&K - BUT - now Nr.3 has also this jingeling sound distortion - now on the other Side and even stronger-
But the most surprising fakt is, Nr. 3 sounds different - weak bass more mids and highs (same DAP, same cable, same tips)

I really do not know what to do with them…
It does not feel like a nearly 4000$ IEM

:frowning2:
Oh man, that doesn't sound good at all. You're obviously unlucky if you're having problems like that! If I were you, I would think about whether it would be better to just return the Odyssey and wait for Raven. If you bought the Odyssey from a German dealer, you would actually be entitled to a refund on the 3rd complaint here in Germany.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #37,740 of 40,580
Deezel you are killing me man! I am LOVING my Odin's. I agree with you on where it errs though. IF/when I change from Odin's, it has to be a custom. I really miss my Phantom customs (the UPS store wrapped them when I need to send them back for something and they got CRUSHED in the process and only gave me $100 back) I HATE that store and will never use them again...Sorry, but it's PTSD for me.

I got the Odin's when they first came out and am loving them, but I MISS customs so badly. From what I have read on the Raven's, it's even closer to what I like, but I have to have customs from now on, lol.

As Deezel and others have said, Jack is the BEST. Love that guy and I've only met him twice (NYC show and at EE on a visit with family (btw Jack, my wife still LOVES her blinged out Bravado's with the purple/gray shells and crystals on the faceplate) ). I just went to Tokyo and he really set my son and me up with recommendations etc... Love you Jack, now let's get the customs going :wink:. Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back