Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #36,646 of 40,577
Unfortunately I haven't personally listened to EVO but I know several guys who did and got rid of it as they could stand the intense bass (for bassy music) for around 30 mins before fatigueing began.
I personally had Odin for around 2 months and got fatigue mostly from the upper mids and the feeling of getting too much focus on details rather than sinking into the music but I think that's a matter of preference and tolerance in the end.
Why am I responding to this post?
Cause I am wondering if Odyssey can be exactly that: a good all-rounder which is good with vocals? (due to a more balanced? tuning and a tad warmer mids with better timbre) while keeping the bass quality of EVO but an amount between Odin and EVO which imho would be especially enjoyable with bass oriented music without fatigueing plus enjoying mids and treble as well.
The Odyssey fits your description. There are many that do. VE EXT is one, Indigo is another, neither come close to EVO bass but is somewhere between EVO and Odin bass.

Sep 28, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #36,647 of 40,577
A recent trend with IEMs is adopting planar magnetic drivers (e.g. Campfire Audio's Supermoon).
I am just thinking out loud here that an EE IEM using planar drivers - could be very special...

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #36,648 of 40,577
A recent trend with IEMs is adopting planar magnetic drivers (e.g. Campfire Audio's Supermoon).
I am just thinking out loud here that an EE IEM using planar drivers - could be very special...
My dream tribrid or quad hybrid: DD lows, planar mids, electrostatic highs. Perhaps add Sonion or proprietary BA for lower treble and allow the electrostats to handle the highest frequencies. Hopefully wouldn't result in a huge, heavy IEM thought.

Sep 29, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #36,649 of 40,577
The Odyssey fits your description. There are many that do. VE EXT is one, Indigo is another, neither come close to EVO bass but is somewhere between EVO and Odin bass.
Sure, tuning wise there might be similar ones.
I am yet owning and loving EXT (Though having comfort issues with the large nozzle).
After having found a preferred signature it comes down to specific attributes and qualities.
E.g I don't think Indigos bass quality will match EE or Odyssey but might have advantages in terms of musical timbre in the mids? EXT might sit in the middle with a very good treble detail and timbre?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #36,650 of 40,577
My dream tribrid or quad hybrid: DD lows, planar mids, electrostatic highs. Perhaps add Sonion or proprietary BA for lower treble and allow the electrostats to handle the highest frequencies. Hopefully wouldn't result in a huge, heavy IEM thought.
Actually, simplicity sometimes wins!
I was very impressed by Supermoon and ZMF Caldera at CanJam. Single planar driver. Tuned well. Done.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #36,651 of 40,577
Actually, simplicity sometimes wins!
I was very impressed by Supermoon and ZMF Caldera at CanJam. Single planar driver. Tuned well. Done.
Point taken my learned friend, of course it all depends on implementation and tuning.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #36,653 of 40,577
Very interested in the Odyssey but i dont think it will top the VE EXT for me. I love everything about the iem. A few dbs in the sub / mid bass would be perfecto. I dont think the odyssey will be able to keep up with the treble the EXT offers.
I feel you.
If only the comfort was better for me 🙄

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #36,654 of 40,577
Very interested in the Odyssey but i dont think it will top the VE EXT for me. I love everything about the iem. A few dbs in the sub / mid bass would be perfecto. I dont think the odyssey will be able to keep up with the treble the EXT offers.
The EXT never ceases to amaze me with its scalability and chameleon like versatility to different cables / tips / sources.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #36,655 of 40,577
If I can get an Odyssey, I’ll let you know how they compare. I can tell you that EXT mids are special and I don’t think I got that same feeling when I tried the Odyssey

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #36,656 of 40,577
Odyssey is very different from EXT. Very easy to like both for a different experience. EXT is a bit warmer in the mids. Odyssey has a more bass boosted neutral signature.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #36,658 of 40,577
@Jack Vang hi hi, may I please ask if there is a difference in tuning between EVO OG and the EVO HK limited edition (just released)? If yes, would you be comfortable in sharing the differences? Happy to discuss via pm. Thank you 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #36,659 of 40,577
Hello.OAP here in Ireland..Have bought virtually all my portable hi Fi blind.Usually based on reviews on head Fi..Westone dealer here was able to hear IEM.Andrew (Musicteck) has been very helpful.Use my gear some daily others now & again.It’s great being able to do this.Admire hugely reviewers as trying to be objective/subjective must be hard..You open yourself to many opinions some visceral others good.Thread is excellent as usual

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #36,660 of 40,577
306779072_5680758198640907_5688965318606356066_n.jpg

40 pairs limited . OK. let it pass :smile:

(Google Translate from Chinese language)>>>
【#Official sale】Legend EVO Limited Edition
The first pair of Legend EVO, which won the #Best Headphones of the Year with bone conduction specifications, will launch a special edition of 40 pairs limited to Hong Kong today, with a new art panel "Pulsar, Pulsar" design, which interprets the brand's exquisite taste.
Legend EVO Limited Edition retains the powerful sound of Legend EVO and is full of vitality at the same time, you can feel the image of the sound and bring out a unique 3D stereo effect. The special edition also takes into account the midrange and bass parts at the same time. The micro-motion also achieves a very delicate performance, deducing an unparalleled analytical power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back