Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #33,481 of 40,582
The disrespect in this thread in unbelievable.
We need more Frenchie pics. No sarcasm intended; as much as I love music, put me in a room with a dog/puppy and it will win 9 out of 10 times.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #33,482 of 40,582
We need more Frenchie pics. (no sarcasm intended).
As requested
image.jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #33,483 of 40,582
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #33,487 of 40,582
Or they simply listen to completely different music, avoid highly compressed/manipulated “music, “ “please spare me on “not highlighting, the negatives.” I would rather have a tooth drilled than listen to trance or EDM, you may feel the same about jazz and classical. Like you, I'm going to call it as I see it, for the music I listen too on the equipment I have. I won't listen to highly compressed music critically, in the car, out of a “boom box,” but not used to judge refined audio gear. That's like using a chainsaw to remove a few polyps.

One of the reasons I repeatedly post the music I'm listening too, and what I don't listen too. I'm sure EDM fans were wondering when I was going to give it a rest. The reason I do this is so people can determine if my taste fits their music or not. Frankly, my opinions really shouldn't mean dooky to someone who listens to your music, as your opinions aren't very useful for me in identifying gear, as you said, “it is, what it is.” I've tried the entire UM line, and I like them, but then EVO’s bone conduction, at a minimum is equal to their higher-end units and superior to the MEST.

You keep expressing absolutes, like the “Legend X isn't exactly easy to one-up,” that's with your “music,” for my music, I strongly believe the EVO is a better IEM. I don't know how you listen to highly compressed music, particularly with the X, but it is what you like, in the end, it's what makes each of us happy. I'm not quite a Boomer, but ill do an “okay boomer.” be careful with pronouncing absolutes, in many cases, it's an absolute of one. You did the right thing in sharing what you were hearing, and where, but not for its intended purpose. In reality, it says if you listen to this kind of music, you may have an issue, if you don't, look for another opinion.
If you have heard the entire UM lineup, how does EVO compare to Mason FS in your opinion?

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #33,488 of 40,582
That escalated reallllllllly quickly.

Anyways,

I think the conclusion is that the Evo isn't really the LX 2.0 or upgrade that a lot of folks were expecting or hyping for in the lead up to actual units getting into the market.

To be very fair, Jack saying that there wouldn't be upgrade to the LX in hindsight still holds. The Evo is not an upgrade to the LX, and Empire has never claimed that it was (to my knowledge).

I'm actually excited to hear the Evo myself since it might lineup to my preferences for something with LX lineage.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #33,489 of 40,582
Interesting to read these EVO reviews. I think I'm glad I layed off of this one. I would have had high expectations and possibly have been disappointed at first listen.

Which is definitely NOT what happened with the Odin. Blew my socks off at first listen and has only gotten better since then.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #33,490 of 40,582
Interesting to read these EVO reviews. I think I'm glad I layed off of this one. I would have had high expectations and possibly have been disappointed at first listen.

Which is definitely NOT what happened with the Odin. Blew my socks off at first listen and has only gotten better since then.

The layering and depth is just so good with Odin. We need more Odin HYPE :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #33,491 of 40,582
That escalated reallllllllly quickly.

Anyways,

I think the conclusion is that the Evo isn't really the LX 2.0 or upgrade that a lot of folks were expecting or hyping for in the lead up to actual units getting into the market.

To be very fair, Jack saying that there wouldn't be upgrade to the LX in hindsight still holds. The Evo is not an upgrade to the LX, and Empire has never claimed that it was (to my knowledge).

I'm actually excited to hear the Evo myself since it might lineup to my preferences for something with LX lineage.
I agree. People may want to change their exception a bit and put EVO at an independent category. Start with 0 or minimum expectation for it other than it will be a bass-emphasis IEM. I think more people will enjoy it that way.

Sometimes it is surprising that how much of our own expectations will affect our actual listening expedience.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #33,492 of 40,582
Judging people’s music taste is a coin of the EE thread, but the plot hole this time around is that EDM actually sounds stupid good on IEMs with boosted bass and upper mids/treble

The “my gear is too good for your music” attitude is disgusting.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #33,493 of 40,582
" oh, i paid 3k for it so it has to take me to Mars and back"

I remember exactly how that felt like when I started my audio adventure some 15 years ago. After going straight from iriver T60 and some stock earbuds to iAudio X5 and Westone 2 ($$$ for me back then) I wanted to be blown away but that didn't happen. It took a while to like and appreciate that setup.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #33,494 of 40,582
If you have heard the entire UM lineup, how does EVO compare to Mason FS in your opinion?
I know you didn't ask me but I'll chime in case you want multiple reference points. Outside of the obvious EVO bass advantage (stronger midbass, more textured and extended), FS has a more linear midrange that although thick, is more on the cold side than EVO. EVO is more upper-mids focused (again, obvious lol) with a lower mids recession compared to FS, which with Attilia I felt did lower-mids quite impressively. In fact I recall FS had a very tame upper-mids which sacrificed some of that energy that I crave in my IEMs.

EVO's stage is wider, FS deeper with better layering. Treble I don't think is a strong suit on either tbh, with FS having a 6k peak that can sound a bit harsh for lower-treble sensitive folks, especially since it peaks against the recessed upper-midrange. The BCD is noticeable on both, and I think a bit more noticeable on FS maybe due to the flat tuning as @aaf evo noted in earlier impressions before people started pitchforking him. EVO is a touch more dynamic.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #33,495 of 40,582
I remember exactly how that felt like when I started my audio adventure some 15 years ago. After going straight from iriver T60 and some stock earbuds to iAudio X5 and Westone 2 ($$$ for me back then) I wanted to be blown away but that didn't happen. It took a while to like and appreciate that setup.
The memories of "oh is it really worth 200 quid" Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back