Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #33,496 of 40,604
I know you didn't ask me but I'll chime in case you want multiple reference points. Outside of the obvious EVO bass advantage (stronger midbass, more textured and extended), FS has a more linear midrange that although thick, is more on the cold side than EVO. EVO is more upper-mids focused (again, obvious lol) with a lower mids recession compared to FS, which with Attilia I felt did lower-mids quite impressively. In fact I recall FS had a very tame upper-mids which sacrificed some of that energy that I crave in my IEMs.

EVO's stage is wider, FS deeper with better layering. Treble I don't think is a strong suit on either tbh, with FS having a 6k peak that can sound a bit harsh for lower-treble sensitive folks, especially since it peaks against the recessed upper-midrange. The BCD is noticeable on both, and I think a bit more noticeable on FS maybe due to the flat tuning as @aaf evo noted in earlier impressions before people started pitchforking him. EVO is a touch more dynamic.
Do you have a graph of mason fs? The only one I seem to find is the one direct from UM graphing the BCD. Do you know where I can find a regular FR graph for it?

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I’ll be able to hear EVO soon as my review unit should be arriving sometime
Soon.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #33,497 of 40,604
Do you have a graph of mason fs? The only one I seem to find is the one direct from UM graphing the BCD. Do you know where I can find a regular FR graph for it?

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I’ll be able to hear EVO soon as my review unit should be arriving sometime
Soon.
I think BGGR had it, and our boy @aaf evo might too if you wanna reach out to him directly.

Curious how you hear it too!

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #33,498 of 40,604
Interesting to read these EVO reviews. I think I'm glad I layed off of this one. I would have had high expectations and possibly have been disappointed at first listen.

Which is definitely NOT what happened with the Odin. Blew my socks off at first listen and has only gotten better since then.
This is what happened to me when I heard the EVO. For Odin, I got to see the hype before I heard it. I loved it, but I had some idea of what to expect before I heard it. For EVO, I didn't have any expectations and so in the first 5 seconds when I got this tremendous quantity and quality of bass, my jaw hit the floor and I was hooked.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #33,499 of 40,604
The layering and depth is just so good with Odin. We need more Odin HYPE :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
YOU CALLED? BUY MOAR ODINS Y'ALL.

I need a justification when I inevitably beg Jack to give me an Evo 🤣

@aaf evo the WX in this use case might be your biggest enemy!

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #33,500 of 40,604

We do need a proper Odin vs EVO showdown..... :wink:

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #33,501 of 40,604

haha sorry I’m lost, why would the WX be a problem?

Also @jwilliamhurst bggar has the Mason FS and Evo graphs on his site. I have a Mason graph but I don’t really hold those to any standard.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #33,502 of 40,604
I know you didn't ask me but I'll chime in case you want multiple reference points. Outside of the obvious EVO bass advantage (stronger midbass, more textured and extended), FS has a more linear midrange that although thick, is more on the cold side than EVO. EVO is more upper-mids focused (again, obvious lol) with a lower mids recession compared to FS, which with Attilia I felt did lower-mids quite impressively. In fact I recall FS had a very tame upper-mids which sacrificed some of that energy that I crave in my IEMs.

EVO's stage is wider, FS deeper with better layering. Treble I don't think is a strong suit on either tbh, with FS having a 6k peak that can sound a bit harsh for lower-treble sensitive folks, especially since it peaks against the recessed upper-midrange. The BCD is noticeable on both, and I think a bit more noticeable on FS maybe due to the flat tuning as @aaf evo noted in earlier impressions before people started pitchforking him. EVO is a touch more dynamic.
For some reason, elevated upper mids don't bother me at all. All it does is give certain vocals more presence and I like it. Where I have trouble is in the 5-7k hz range where cymbals can become sibilant and the glare from the treble really hurts my ears. As I hear people describe their experience with upper mids, it reminds me of what I experience with 5-7k treble.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #33,503 of 40,604
We do need a proper Odin vs EVO showdown..... :wink:
Odin and EVO are like brothers. They complement each other perfectly for me. For my music, I prefer EVO with most music. That's because I love bass and rhythm section presence. Odin has much less bass and has much more airiness in the treble. So, when I want a lighter rendition of music, prefer Odin. For some music, like Jazz, I might prefer one or the other one day and then switch the next day. You get two versions of the same track. One darker, the other lighter and they are both good.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #33,505 of 40,604
For some reason, elevated upper mids don't bother me at all. All it does is give certain focals more presence and I like it. Where I have trouble is in the 5-7k hz range where cymbals can become sibilant and the glare from the treble really hurts my ears. As I hear people describe their experience with upper mids, it reminds me of what I experience with 5-7k treble.
I'm 100% with you. I loved Odin upper mids, although intense. And Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2 might be even more intense (yet musical), but is my favorite upper-mids IEM to date for its sensual, exaggerated vocals and instruments. It is intense lower treble peaks that kill me.

But for me, if upper-mids are forward, they need to be smooth. I think that's what is being debated here-the quality of the upper mids, which always warrants a discussion amongst those who have extensive reference points. As always, genres, tolerances, tips, cables, and source will all factor in that frequency perception, etc.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #33,506 of 40,604
For some reason, elevated upper mids don't bother me at all. All it does is give certain focals more presence and I like it. Where I have trouble is in the 5-7k hz range where cymbals can become sibilant and the glare from the treble really hurts my ears. As I hear people describe their experience with upper mids, it reminds me of what I experience with 5-7k treble.
I also struggle with instruments like cymbals.
So perhaps the FR I've been citing is a bit off on the high end...it's vocal harshness/sibilance as well as higher-pitched instruments like cymbals for me personally. Definitely 2-5k, and maybe up to 7-8k I suppose.
But I guess this also underscores the point that what I hear as a turn-off others are totally fine with (and, in fact, prefer in your case!). Crazy hobby.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #33,507 of 40,604
I'm 100% with you. I loved Odin upper mids, although intense. And Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2 might be even more intense (yet musical), but is my favorite upper-mids IEM to date for its sensual, exaggerated vocals and instruments. It is intense lower treble peaks that kill me.

But for me, if upper-mids are forward, they need to be smooth. I think that's what is being debated here-the quality of the upper mids, which always warrants a discussion amongst those who have extensive reference points. As always, genres, tolerances, tips, cables, and source will all factor in that frequency perception, etc.
Agree with this.
I have no issue with forward-ness as long as there isn't any harshness, sizzle, sibilance, etc.
EXT and Bird are OK for me, for example.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #33,508 of 40,604

Epic bass track to try on EVO :sunglasses: . Seasick inducing I imagine too

Damn, head, chest and gut throbbing, I like it, another reason I love these threads, there's a lot of music I'm not familiar with, Guy introduced me to Lorde, and this, it reminds me of Prince on speed!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #33,509 of 40,604
Interesting guys. Much good info, if i ever need extra info about Evo i will always refer to these 2 posts:

Hey now, everyone needs “Frenchie Time,” its good for the soul!

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #33,510 of 40,604
UPS delivered a day late, booooo, but early this morning, yay! Not enough time to have impressions but fits perfectly and comfortably with my big ears - Final E tips. Paired with Aeneid for now until Genesis cable arrives. Initial impression, exceptional details and layering. Will cable roll to Socrates a bit later this evening.

5426B7EA-347C-4F94-A719-E12C27AA6E5F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back