Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #33,469 of 40,577
Interesting guys. Much good info, if i ever need extra info about Evo i will always refer to these 2 posts:
The dog’s appalled face represents @Calfredo826 ’s reaction to the bipolar nature of out-of-box EVO impressions. Pretty relevant IMO (cause I am guessing you’re being sarcastic here).

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #33,472 of 40,577
I’m not gonna make any friends saying this but whatever. Most of the impressions of the Evo so far have come from people who got “review” units directly from EE. I’m sorry, let’s not be ignorant here. We know under these circumstances people tend to not really highlight “negative” aspects of an IEM. Maybe my expectations were too high? The Legend X isn’t exactly an easy iem to one-up. It happens with lots of IEMs. I’m sure people saw the Traillii hype and were underwhelmed, and that is okay. Perhaps it’s what’s going on for me here. Who knows. It’s 110% an iem worth checking out. I’d just give a word of caution to anyone with upper mid sensitivity that you may want to demo first if possible. If you haven’t experienced a proper BCD implementation also, it’ll bring a new dimension of sound for you.

Fair assumption and I respect your fortitude to even say such a thing known as the quiet part out loud. Being one of those people and valuing transparency, I’ll put it out there. I was invited to demo the EVO precisely to critique it as harshly as possible. I cable rolled it, swapped tips, sources etc. Dean and Jack both will pop in and ask rhetorical questions and check my honesty just to see if I’ll keep it real with them. I even mentioned to Dean that he should lower the upper mid a dB to cater to the folks such as yourself. I didn’t say to lower the upper mid because they were harsh or too elevated as is, I did so because the traillii cable brought them up too much. I assumed people with expensive cables will choose to pair the EVO with them so I said just to avoid cable rolling issues, play it safe in that FR. @Jack Vang come in here right now and strike me down if I’m lying. Hell, I’ve seen mention of a cable close to the 1960s 4 wire pairing well so who knows maybe the final tuning changed that cables outcome. 🤷🏼‍♂️

After hearing them I couldn’t really find anything I disliked about them. Then again I am only 1 data point. Thats the only reason I haven’t highlighted a negative about them. They pretty much land tuning wise where I’d like a bass heavy but resolving W shape for my music choices. If I didn’t like them, I would’ve told Jack and Dean why and if they thought my opinion was valuable enough, maybe they would listen, maybe not. If they didn’t listen, I wouldn’t be interested in whatever that product was I took issue with. I loathe the phantom for example. I don’t get commission or any special perks by being honest whether it’s good or bad for EE. I also don’t care who likes their products and who doesn’t. The issue I took with Odin critiques were due to feeling like it wasn’t given a fair shake or time to settle and you know what… bad on me for that. People are gonna do their thing and I shouldn’t have expected them to do it my way. Anyhow, a majority of their customer base are professional musicians and people not even affiliated with Headfi. Other continents as well.

I can see where others maybe have issues but I don’t share the same hearing characteristics as you so I ask out of general curiosity to understand others perspective, not condemn them. You’ve heard plenty, you know what you like and don’t and you’re the only person that can make that decision. Back to the beginning, I share the same skepticism as you do about these things but when it comes to me, nah, I’ll crap all over something if I don’t like it. Don’t care who is asking or my relationship with them. Ask my lady, it’s sparked a few arguments when she asks about an outfit I don’t care for 🤣.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #33,473 of 40,577
I think it's a good thing that people are raising the issues they have with EVO. It is certainly not for everyone. For me, the tuning is near perfect for most of the music I listen to. There is no perfect IEM and everyone has different preferences. People just need to listen to it and judge for themselves.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #33,474 of 40,577
Fair assumption and I respect your fortitude to even say such a thing known as the quiet part out loud. Being one of those people and valuing transparency, I’ll put it out there. I was invited to demo the EVO precisely to critique it as harshly as possible. I cable rolled it, swapped tips, sources etc. Dean and Jack both will pop in and ask rhetorical questions and check my honesty just to see if I’ll keep it real with them. I even mentioned to Dean that he should lower the upper mid a dB to cater to the folks such as yourself. I didn’t say to lower the upper mid because they were harsh or too elevated as is, I did so because the traillii cable brought them up too much. I assumed people with expensive cables will choose to pair the EVO with them so I said just to avoid cable rolling issues, play it safe in that FR. @Jack Vang come in here right now and strike me down if I’m lying. Hell, I’ve seen mention of a cable close to the 1960s 4 wire pairing well so who knows maybe the final tuning changed that cables outcome. 🤷🏼‍♂️

After hearing them I couldn’t really find anything I disliked about them. Then again I am only 1 data point. Thats the only reason I haven’t highlighted a negative about them. They pretty much land tuning wise where I’d like a bass heavy but resolving W shape for my music choices. If I didn’t like them, I would’ve told Jack and Dean why and if they thought my opinion was valuable enough, maybe they would listen, maybe not. If they didn’t listen, I wouldn’t be interested in whatever that product was I took issue with. I loathe the phantom for example. I don’t get commission or any special perks by being honest whether it’s good or bad for EE. I also don’t care who likes their products and who doesn’t. The issue I took with Odin critiques were due to feeling like it wasn’t given a fair shake or time to settle and you know what… bad on me for that. People are gonna do their thing and I shouldn’t have expected them to do it my way. Anyhow, a majority of their customer base are professional musicians and people not even affiliated with Headfi. Other continents as well.

I can see where others maybe have issues but I don’t share the same hearing characteristics as you so I ask out of general curiosity to understand others perspective, not condemn them. You’ve heard plenty, you know what you like and don’t and you’re the only person that can make that decision. Back to the beginning, I share the same skepticism as you do about these things but when it comes to me, nah, I’ll crap all over something if I don’t like it. Don’t care who is asking or my relationship with them. Ask my lady, it’s sparked a few arguments when she asks about an outfit I don’t care for 🤣.

For sure, at the end of the day it’s entirely preferences and what not. Not everyone will like everything and that is fine. I think most of it stems down to my own personal threshold for upper mids and I guess I thought the elevated bass would help balance it out but it just doesn’t work for me in this case. I can usually handle upper mids when other frequencies are up there too, it’s just not the case here, yet at least.

For me when IEMs are on the edge of something that I enjoy but may have faults, I will give them time to see what happens. If it doesn’t work for me at the end of the day then it doesn’t work. Move on and that’s it, not much else to it.

Again, I’m mainly just “disappointed” that what I had envisioned in my head isn’t quite what I am hearing. Maybe that’s my own fault. I’m not sure.

I’m willing to bet I am going to be in the very small minority of people that the Evo will not work for. So I hope my criticisms don’t put people off.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #33,475 of 40,577
I for one am happy to see opposing views to any product. When I see too many positive reviews about a product and no negatives, I start to wonder how much schilling is involved. That’s not to say that the EVO is victim to this. It reminds me of all the positive reviews and impressions I watched and read about CA Solaris 2020. I was excited to experience the dynamic sound and soundstage that reviewers were raving about. When I finally got to demo them, I was pretty disappointed. It’s my fault for overhyping them. That’s not to say that the Solaris is not an end game IEM for someone else. It’s just not mine. Just like the EVO is probably endgame for a lot listeners out there and not for others. I think that’s the beauty of this “hobby.” You’ll eventually come across a piece of equipment that’ll nearly match all your criteria of the perfect sound.

I suppose what I’ve learned through this hobby is to respect the views of others on a particular piece of equipment, positive or negative but don’t take it as gospel until you actually hear it for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Someone might love an IEM but you won’t based on your hearing ability/preferences and library, and vice-versa.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #33,476 of 40,577
There have been a few times where I thought I must be hearing something different/'wrong' after not falling in love with a much-lauded IEM, even going so far as to buying & then selling them again (Andromeda x3!, M9 x2). There was a lot of back & forth on Odin as well. Nothing wrong with it, I wished it has a little more bass quantity, bass quality was top-notch though, resolution & imaging as well, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #33,477 of 40,577
I for one am happy to see opposing views to any product. When I see too many positive reviews about a product and no negatives, I start to wonder how much schilling is involved. That’s not to say that the EVO is victim to this. It reminds me of all the positive reviews and impressions I watched and read about CA Solaris 2020. I was excited to experience the dynamic sound and soundstage that reviewers were raving about. When I finally got to demo them, I was pretty disappointed. It’s my fault for overhyping them. That’s not to say that the Solaris is not an end game IEM for someone else. It’s just not mine. Just like the EVO is probably endgame for a lot listeners out there and not for others. I think that’s the beauty of this “hobby.” You’ll eventually come across a piece of equipment that’ll nearly match all your criteria of the perfect sound.

I suppose what I’ve learned through this hobby is to respect the views of others on a particular piece of equipment, positive or negative but don’t take it as gospel until you actually hear it for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Someone might love an IEM but you won’t based on your hearing ability/preferences and library, and vice-versa.
Wise beyond your posts, sir.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #33,478 of 40,577
Odin for me was too bass light, I had zero issues with upper mid harshness/sharpness. I didn’t like how forward they were relative to the lower mids and bass. Evo has bass, lots of it, but now I am hearing what I just can’t help but describe as “average quality” upper mids and treble. You can ask me about any of my gear and I’ll always be honest, but just remember it’s relative to what I enjoy and what I like, nothing more. The way the notes of the upper mids and treble hit my ears comes off as quite sharp. I’m not the only one who thinks this, I’ve spoken to others privately but they are staying quiet. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don’t know why I am hearing it that way. I’d love to figure it out, I’ve been excited for the Evo since it was first announced months ago. I am more disappointed that it doesn’t seem to be working for me than anything. I’m not here to “bash” it or praise other gear. I’m simply describing what I am hearing using the same variables I put to other IEMs also upon receiving them.

I have nothing against EE. Selling my CIEM LX back in 2019 was one of my biggest regrets of my hobby journey so far, so I was hoping this would come along and be that replacement, so once again, I’m more disappointed it doesn’t seem to be the case for myself.

I still have my Evo. They’re on burn-in as we speak. So if I find any changes over time I’ll be sure to report back.

I’m not gonna make any friends saying this but whatever. Most of the impressions of the Evo so far have come from people who got “review” units ldnt directly from EE. I’m sorry, let’s not be ignorant here. We know under these circumstances people tend to not really highlight “negative” aspects of an IEM. Maybe my expectations were too high? The Legend X isn’t exactly an easy iem to one-up. It happens with lots of IEMs. I’m sure people saw the Traillii hype and were underwhelmed, and that is okay. Perhaps it’s what’s going on for me here. Who knows. It’s 110% an iem worth checking out. I’d just give a word of caution to anyone with upper mid sensitivity that you may want to demo first if possible. If you haven’t experienced a proper BCD implementation also, it’ll bring a new dimension of sound for you.

Or they simply listen to completely different music, avoid highly compressed/manipulated “music, “ “please spare me on “not highlighting, the negatives.” I would rather have a tooth drilled than listen to trance or EDM, you may feel the same about jazz and classical. Like you, I'm going to call it as I see it, for the music I listen too on the equipment I have. I won't listen to highly compressed music critically, in the car, out of a “boom box,” but not used to judge refined audio gear. That's like using a chainsaw to remove a few polyps.

One of the reasons I repeatedly post the music I'm listening too, and what I don't listen too. I'm sure EDM fans were wondering when I was going to give it a rest. The reason I do this is so people can determine if my taste fits their music or not. Frankly, my opinions really shouldn't mean dooky to someone who listens to your music, as your opinions aren't very useful for me in identifying gear, as you said, “it is, what it is.” I've tried the entire UM line, and I like them, but then EVO’s bone conduction, at a minimum is equal to their higher-end units and superior to the MEST.

You keep expressing absolutes, like the “Legend X isn't exactly easy to one-up,” that's with your “music,” for my music, I strongly believe the EVO is a better IEM. I don't know how you listen to highly compressed music, particularly with the X, but it is what you like, in the end, it's what makes each of us happy. I'm not quite a Boomer, but ill do an “okay boomer.” be careful with pronouncing absolutes, in many cases, it's an absolute of one. You did the right thing in sharing what you were hearing, and where, but not for its intended purpose. In reality, it says if you listen to this kind of music, you may have an issue, if you don't, look for another opinion.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #33,479 of 40,577
Or they simply listen to completely different music, avoid highly compressed/manipulated “music, “ “please spare me on “not highlighting, the negatives.” I would rather have a tooth drilled than listen to trance or EDM, you may feel the same about jazz and classical. Like you, I'm going to call it as I see it, for the music I listen too on the equipment I have. I won't listen to highly compressed music critically, in the car, out of a “boom box,” but not used to judge refined audio gear. That's like using a chainsaw to remove a few polyps.

One of the reasons I repeatedly post the music I'm listening too, and what I don't listen too. I'm sure EDM fans were wondering when I was going to give it a rest. The reason I do this is so people can determine if my taste fits their music or not. Frankly, my opinions really shouldn't mean dooky to someone who listens to your music, as your opinions aren't very useful for me in identifying gear, as you said, “it is, what it is.” I've tried the entire UM line, and I like them, but then EVO’s bone conduction, at a minimum is equal to their higher-end units and superior to the MEST.

You keep expressing absolutes, like the “Legend X isn't exactly easy to one-up,” that's with your “music,” for my music, I strongly believe the EVO is a better IEM. I don't know how you listen to highly compressed music, particularly with the X, but it is what you like, in the end, it's what makes each of us happy. I'm not quite a Boomer, but ill do an “okay boomer.” be careful with pronouncing absolutes, in many cases, it's an absolute of one. You did the right thing in sharing what you were hearing, and where, but not for its intended purpose. In reality, it says if you listen to this kind of music, you may have an issue, if you don't, look for another opinion.

The first paragraph was enough for me to not read your comment. You can talk crap all you want about other peoples music tastes. It’s not classy and damn disrespectful. As the runner of a review and tour site too this is incredibly unprofessional. I’m sharing my opinions based on what I listen to. I’m not going to share it based on stuff I don’t listen to. Feel free to ignore or block me if my highly compressed music offends you so much.

You can say I use absolutes, at least I’m not scared to be honest. You cannot because you won’t get review samples anymore. How’s that for an absolute?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back