Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #32,806 of 40,577
I would love to hear it. Reading some impressions i pictured that it would be my tuning. Minus maybe BA bass. But even that seems to be another level.

But to own it? I think EVO and a holiday in Maldives would do just fine lol.
T does pair excellently with SP2000 :zipper_mouth:. Vacations last 4-14 days<IEMs last til the next IEM releases :joy:

Regarding the Odin/Z1R treble conversation: I felt Odin treble was smooth overall but the clarity in the upper midrange is likely where some folks interpret the treble being responsible. Z1R treble I felt could get hot (compared to Odin), even with a good fit, but it was in a fun, energetic way. Not particularly smooth, a bit grainy but excellent upper treble to balance out the lower. Normally anything that rises into that 6k range I consider a hot treble for my sensitivities, which was my working theory based off IEMs I've heard and just recently corroborated against graphs. Nonetheless, coincidentally, Z1R/Odin are def top 5 treble-presentations to date for me.

1632865773340.png

All these EVO impressions do have me excited though-cmon Jack, let the distributors get it a few days early :).

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,808 of 40,577
I would love to hear it. Reading some impressions i pictured that it would be my tuning. Minus maybe BA bass. But even that seems to be another level.

But to own it? I think EVO and a holiday in Maldives would do just fine lol.
The Bird has very pleasant and coherent tuning. It gets the big picture right. It breaks down when you start A/B testing specifics like bass detail and texture.

The price of the Bird is the same as Odin + EVO. No contest which is the better value.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #32,809 of 40,577
Any word on the EVO's coming out in custom form? Deciding to make the jump from universals to customs after a long head-fi break.... The LX is one of my favorite IEM's, but the EVO sounds intriguing.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #32,810 of 40,577
Any word on the EVO's coming out in custom form? Deciding to make the jump from universals to customs after a long head-fi break.... The LX is one of my favorite IEM's, but the EVO sounds intriguing.
It's incredibly unlikely at this point. The reason EE's given is that the Weapon X driver needs a specific volume of air within the shell to sound as intended, so we very well could be looking at a Fourté scenario here, where a custom version never comes out. But, as the saying goes, never say never.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #32,811 of 40,577
The word is... Don't hold your breath..😊

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #32,812 of 40,577
It's incredibly unlikely at this point. The reason EE's given is that the Weapon X driver needs a specific volume of air within the shell to sound as intended, so we very well could be looking at a Fourté scenario here, where a custom version never comes out. But, as the saying goes, never say never.

The word is... Don't hold your breath..😊
:frowning2: well thanks for the responses guys, I'll just have to keep the universal train going I guess.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #32,813 of 40,577
Yea I’m getting to that point as well. I think $3k ish will be my threshold from here on out. I picked that number because I enjoy the u18s and EVO / Odin at that price point so that’s where I’m drawing the line.

$2k has always been my threshold, but a few years ago, it was $1k, so who knows in 2025 for me.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #32,814 of 40,577
$2k has always been my threshold, but a few years ago, it was $1k, so who knows in 2025 for me.
Understandably so. You can get quite a few heavy hitters / staples for any respectable collection at $2k. Based on your signature you probably have maxed out your $2k potential for what’s available now.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #32,819 of 40,577
@Tristy

67D75EC3-62D0-42AF-A62C-2172F879192C.png

Obviously keep in mind the Weapon X produces intangibles unable to be seen here.
Interesting. Bass range would seem very similar to LX OG. Having that thickness starting from 200hz. This is where i usually tone it down on certain sources.
But them upper mids to treble is almost identical.

But looking at impressions its far from what graph says. Correct?

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #32,820 of 40,577
What did you/do you think of the EVO with the piano?
Okay. I listened to EVO and Odin on my Hugo TT2. Man, this is an unbelievable pairing. The bass comes really alive in this configuration. What I mean by this is you can close your eyes and see the rhythm section playing live music. It sounds that good. It's not just elevated bass. It is live presence. I don't have an m scaler, but I think it will be even better with it because just switching from USB at 44khz vs my streamer at 88khz made a big difference Going to 768mhz has got to be fine.

The Odin is and has always been my favorite IEM for piano. That hasn't changed with EVO. The main difference is the tuning on the Odin is much lighter and airy and that gives the upper harmonics much more ability to shine through. I also think the elevated upper mids gives the fundamental tones of the piano more presence. The EVO has a slight darker and less airy presentation. It is still very nice especially with violin accompaniment because the EVO improves the timbre of string instruments. The EST drivers may also help with treble air in the Odin. Not sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back