Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 28, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #32,791 of 40,613
I think many issues people think they have with treble are really issues with upper mids, or a combination of upper mids and lower treble, or even the overall tonal skew of the IEM. Without actual examples and timecodes of where and how the issues manifest with a given IEM, the concept of sensitivity (for any FR) is really just a vague abstract.
I do love upper mids boost (up to 4khz) but my most sensitive bit is between 5-7khz. So im usually walking a thin line haha. Upper treble i do like though, within reason.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #32,792 of 40,613
Day 2.

They played all night plugged into my A90, out of the box I was hearing tiny “hardness” in the upper mids/lower treble, that's gone. The EVO is very tip dependent, the best I've found are the largest Azla SednaEarfit I had on hand, Crystal and Accoustone AE08s didn't work for me. Though it may be a case of needing a tighter fit for the Driver to do it's thing.

I can see why people have likened the EVO to two-channel listening. For those who have experience there, all IEMs I've heard to date images like mini-monitors, the EVO images like my former SoundLab Electrostatics. With mini-monitors, the images are correct but smaller, and your mind “sees” them as larger. With large panel speakers manages are larger and closer to reality, so less mental trickery is required. The EVO images like big panels, I've never heard this from an IEM, and the closest I've heard to the EVO in over-ears is the Abyss 1266.

Early finds are use the biggest light silicone tips you can where. I prefer them with deeper insertion, I've found that lightly griping them, then slowly twist them into locked on, once in the right spot, there's nothing like them (plus the Driver X’s vibrations feel cool).
I am such a sucker for big immersive 3d soundstage with good imaging. The way you put it all together describing it on Evo, its like seeing a beautiful woman undress in front of you lol.

Im really glad IEMs are becoming capable of achieving this kind of realism.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #32,793 of 40,613
I am such a sucker for big immersive 3d soundstage with good imaging. The way you put it all together describing it on Evo, its like seeing a beautiful woman undress in front of you lol.

Im really glad IEMs are becoming capable of achieving this kind of realism.
I didn't think it was possible, I'm listening to Vanska, Minnesota SO, Mahler 4th, and it's confirming my metaphor of “pane speakers.” No it's not exactly the same as my old Soundlabs, physics does play a role, but the imaging perspective is almost identical, versus virtually all (at least what I've heard) other IEMs that image like stand-mounted speakers.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #32,794 of 40,613
Day 2.

They played all night plugged into my A90, out of the box I was hearing tiny “hardness” in the upper mids/lower treble, that's gone. The EVO is very tip dependent, the best I've found are the largest Azla SednaEarfit I had on hand, Crystal and Accoustone AE08s didn't work for me. Though it may be a case of needing a tighter fit for the Driver to do it's thing.

I can see why people have likened the EVO to two-channel listening. For those who have experience there, all IEMs I've heard to date images like mini-monitors, the EVO images like my former SoundLab Electrostatics. With mini-monitors, the images are correct but smaller, and your mind “sees” them as larger. With large panel speakers manages are larger and closer to reality, so less mental trickery is required. The EVO images like big panels, I've never heard this from an IEM, and the closest I've heard to the EVO in over-ears is the Abyss 1266.

Early finds are use the biggest light silicone tips you can where. I prefer them with deeper insertion, I've found that lightly griping them, then slowly twist them into locked on, once in the right spot, there's nothing like them (plus the Driver X’s vibrations feel cool).
Yeeeeeeppp. If a vocalist moves while singing you’ll hear them go left, center, right and then back again.

If they stay left you’ll hear them left. If there is a big pluck of a bass guitar to the right, the bass comes from that spot on the right without blooming over the entire sound field.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #32,796 of 40,613
I do love upper mids boost (up to 4khz) but my most sensitive bit is between 5-7khz. So im usually walking a thin line haha. Upper treble i do like though, within reason.
You should like Traillii then. It scoops out the presence region which removes any chance of sibilance, but it blunts upper harmonics required for sublime piano.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #32,797 of 40,613
You should like Traillii then. It scoops out the presence region which removes any chance of sibilance, but it blunts upper harmonics required for sublime piano.
I would love to hear it. Reading some impressions i pictured that it would be my tuning. Minus maybe BA bass. But even that seems to be another level.

But to own it? I think EVO and a holiday in Maldives would do just fine lol.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #32,798 of 40,613
EVO is gonna make Oriolus justifying an asking price of $6k in the future a bit more difficult. Assuming the second hand market will take a hit as well. Calm down lol, I still think they are excellent monitors. I just foresee some change coming as new tech arrives.

Speaking of which, curious where the extra cost implemented in the FuSang and Mason FS comes from. Cable maybe?

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #32,799 of 40,613
What did you/do you think of the EVO with the piano?

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #32,800 of 40,613
EVO is gonna make Oriolus justifying an asking price of $6k in the future a bit more difficult. Assuming the second hand market will take a hit as well. Calm down lol, I still think they are excellent monitors. I just foresee some change coming as new tech arrives.

Speaking of which, curious where the extra cost implemented in the FuSang and Mason FS comes from. Cable maybe?

The A12t makes me feel like anything more expensive isn’t worth it. I’m hyped for Evo regardless though.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #32,801 of 40,613
The A12t makes me feel like anything more expensive isn’t worth it. I’m hyped for Evo regardless though.
It's like nothing out there, I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the EVO.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #32,802 of 40,613
Yea I’m getting to that point as well. I think $3k ish will be my threshold from here on out. I picked that number because I enjoy the u18s and EVO / Odin at that price point so that’s where I’m drawing the line.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #32,803 of 40,613
It's like nothing out there, I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the EVO.
I am definitely excited. I heard how the BCD worked in the Mason by helping create that sense of space and layering so to see it in an IEM who’s tuning I’ll actually (hopefully) enjoy has me very excited!

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #32,804 of 40,613
What did you/do you think of the EVO with the piano?
I'll have to A/B test my favorite piano pieces. I'll post impressions when I get a chance.

Odin is by far my favorite IEM for piano. If EVO can come close, it will be amazing. For Violin, the EVO thickens the sound and gives more detail to its timbre. With piano, the bass can get become distracting away from the air of the upper harmonics. I'll do some critical listening soon.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #32,805 of 40,613
But a $5000 cable is worth it? I am puzzled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back