Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 26, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #32,686 of 40,614
Sep 26, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #32,687 of 40,614
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #32,688 of 40,614
We're the IE900s not your cup of tea?
They are very nice, but to me, they sound somewhat similar to the Trio, and I prefer the latter in the end.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #32,689 of 40,614
By the way, I did hear the MEST Mkii. I really liked it. There was definitely more sub bass and balance to it. The mids didn't sound as thin. I also heard the FuSang. I didn't like it as much as MEST Mkii, but I only got a few minutes with it.
MkII signature is really spot on for balanced tuning. Or balanced to my ears lol.
Hoping EVOs signature will be more engaging + all the BC goodies.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #32,690 of 40,614
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #32,691 of 40,614
How is Odin’s bass compared to something like the 64 Audio A12t?

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #32,692 of 40,614
I was lucky enough to audition EVO during CanJam. Here are some quick notes during a 10 minute session, using Final E Tips.

The issue I had with LX was the sheer amount of sub bass and generally 'all you can eat buffet' bass delivery. It would get fatiguing. With other tips this issue was mostly corrected however the 'magic' of the LX disappeared. With EVO, Empire Ears went with a more 'balanced' tuning, in that the bass isn't just delivered all via air conduction. There is still that classic LX 'house sound', but more restrained/thoughtful. The bone conduction isn't felt as much as it's heard.

What Empire Ears did was create a new dimension of bass that is heard, that seems to come from a different space. This creates a 'room reflection' vibe which I've never heard from anything else. This is what I think is responsible for the large soundstage of Evo and imho takes EVO presentation to perfect for my tastes. LX will sound wrong in comparison and the EVO is a huge step up, once you go to EVO, there's no going back. The Mason FS does share a similarity in creating 'air' via the bone conduction and EVO does a similar thing, but it delivers extra air in the bass delivery which then opens up the soundstage and creates bass room reflections. It's truly marvelous.

EVO reigns in more of the sub bass 'bloat' and exchanges it for the bone conduction. X is more 'guilty pleasure' bass where as Evo will deliver something totally different. Both still have 'Legend' tuning, but I prefer a more restrained delivery of Evo with that added BC magic, it is the crown jewel of Empire.

However, I did still encounter issues that I faced with Empire Ears Odin. The fit! With even the smallest final E tips, I couldn't achieve a good fit as the shell couldn't quite fit in my ear. The Evo shell is either the same size as Odin or likely slightly larger. This is a big boy, and larger than the LX as the LX doesn't have an issue fit wise. The bundled cable is fantastic, it's what I've been asking from manufacturers for YEARS. A TPU copper cable with genuine Pentaconn termination.

In summary, if EVO fit me as LX did, it would be an instant buy. Empire did an excellent tuning and disciplined the LX tuning. I think Jack Vang focused on how bass permeates and reflects within a room, it's a superb take on bone conduction. Congratulations on a SMASH HIT 🔥

75A42FBD-4FD7-42B1-8B2B-690F2762932D.jpeg

238E80F8-A627-4A39-A3DB-3C771CAE95DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #32,693 of 40,614
I was lucky enough to audition EVO during CanJam. Here are some quick notes during a 10 minute session, using Final E Tips.

The issue I had with LX was the sheer amount of sub bass and generally 'all you can eat buffet' bass delivery. It would get fatiguing. With other tips this issue was mostly corrected however the 'magic' of the LX disappeared. With EVO, Empire Ears went with a more 'balanced' tuning, in that the bass isn't just delivered all via air conduction. There is still that classic LX 'house sound', but more restrained/thoughtful. The bone conduction isn't felt as much as it's heard.

What Empire Ears did was create a new dimension of bass that is heard, that seems to come from a different space. This creates a 'room reflection' vibe which I've never heard from anything else. This is what I think is responsible for the large soundstage of Evo and imho takes EVO presentation to perfect for my tastes. LX will sound wrong in comparison and the EVO is a huge step up, once you go to EVO, there's no going back. The Mason FS does share a similarity in creating 'air' via the bone conduction and EVO does a similar thing, but it delivers extra air in the bass delivery which then opens up the soundstage and creates bass room reflections. It's truly marvelous.

EVO reigns in more of the sub bass 'bloat' and exchanges it for the bone conduction. X is more 'guilty pleasure' bass where as Evo will deliver something totally different. Both still have 'Legend' tuning, but I prefer a more restrained delivery of Evo with that added BC magic, it is the crown jewel of Empire.

However, I did still encounter issues that I faced with Empire Ears Odin. The fit! With even the smallest final E tips, I couldn't achieve a good fit as the shell couldn't quite fit in my ear. The Evo shell is either the same size as Odin or likely slightly larger. This is a big boy, and larger than the LX as the LX doesn't have an issue fit wise. The bundled cable is fantastic, it's what I've been asking from manufacturers for YEARS. A TPU copper cable with genuine Pentaconn termination.

In summary, if EVO fit me as LX did, it would be an instant buy. Empire did an excellent tuning and disciplined the LX tuning. I think Jack Vang focused on how bass permeates and reflects within a room, it's a superb take on bone conduction. Congratulations on a SMASH HIT 🔥

Loved this write-up. Except now I'm far more nervous about the fit than the sound... 😅

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #32,695 of 40,614
Enjoyed the bass of Legend X, but sometimes wish it was a little more controlled. Also enjoyed Odin’s bass, but sometimes wished for a little more quantity (quality was definitely not an issue). Sounds like EVO’s bass is the best of both, but Odin’s shell was a little large for my ears & EVO is even bigger. 🤕☹️

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #32,696 of 40,614
MkII signature is really spot on for balanced tuning. Or balanced to my ears lol.
Hoping EVOs signature will be more engaging + all the BC goodies.
Agreed. I'm really only curious how the new Evo compares to the Mest mk2. At double the price I hope the Evo will have increased bass impact, equal soundstage, and at least equal resolution without having shoutier mids and highs.

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #32,698 of 40,614
Agreed. I'm really only curious how the new Evo compares to the Mest mk2. At double the price I hope the Evo will have increased bass impact, equal soundstage, and at least equal resolution without having shoutier mids and highs.
Increased bass everything… quality, quantity, impact, control etc. I find it’s overall tonality more pleasing than mest 2 as well. Resolution for days, fear not.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #32,700 of 40,614
Lived this write-up. Except now I'm far more nervous about the fit than the sound... 😅
I guess, like baby Dumbo, I've found the magic of having large ears, from the Thummim, too the very wide nozzles Bomber, I've not had any fit issues with IEMs. Afraid something tiny like the IE900 might fall in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back