Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 5, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #29,971 of 40,683
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #29,972 of 40,683
how is Odin with WM1A ?
I’m using midnight classic custom FW and think it matches really well. It offers a warmer counter point to the W2 and the soundstage is in my mind wider and taller. Detail retrieval is also better. Plus it helps mellow the upper mids a tad - not too much, but I find it less fatiguing than the W2.

Odins are also easy to drive, so even though it has half the power of the W2, it’s plenty. I’ve seemed to have lucked with the W2 and 1A offering a good contrast in presentation and so rather complementary.

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #29,973 of 40,683
I think you’re right. They don’t pop up that often in this side of the pond, but patience is a virtue, eh?
You have 2 of the finest IEMs in the world right now. The only reason you are questioning what you own is because you are reading these threads. Love what you've got. They are world class.

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #29,974 of 40,683
You have 2 of the finest IEMs in the world right now. The only reason you are questioning what you own is because you are reading these threads. Love what you've got. They are world class.
Jup totally. I do recognise that! Had a good reminder with a stellar listening session this evening. Plus the Z1Rs are actually comfortable now with Final Type E tips!

(also helps even with man maths, the piggy bank is well and truly empty. Lol.)

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #29,975 of 40,683
My LEGEND X se was received yesterday. Sexy bass stage, balanced midrange and treble perfectly matched, the only drawback is that I didn’t get No.1😍
83963C89-0F4D-46E2-81EB-50E3281CD576.jpeg

D4F2DA08-9DAF-4A3D-8503-0FD467E8CC87.jpeg

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #29,976 of 40,683
I posted similar impressions on the Traillii thread. I wanted to make sure that Odin owners realize that they have a World Class IEM that competes even with $6k IEMs.

In doing some A/B testing today between the Bird and the Odin, I finally found a genre of music where the Odin is better than the Traillii. Piano Concertos. I've now been listening across multiple sources and I get the same outcome every time. The Odin has much better upper harmonics giving the music better shimmer and air. I thinking about the 4-8k recession in the frequency response curve, I had been thinking this might impact presence and tube sound. What it seems to be doing is restricting the upper harmonics for Piano Concertos. The Odin is also very forward in the upper mids. This results in a much more natural and airy presentation of the Piano.

Anyone else want to verify (or nullify) my findings. Listen to "Horowitz in Hamburg. The Last Concert." I will continue listening to see if this is true across many different recordings. Paying attention to the frequency response curve can yield insights beyond mere listening to an IEM. Graphs still matter and have always mattered. I have a feeling that Odin will be very competitive for Classical music with the Traillii. I will be testing it to find out.

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #29,977 of 40,683
I'm also interested in the comparison between LX OG and SE :yum:
Funny story: I had the Legend X and enjoyed it so much I decided to get the custom version. EE wasn’t accepting 3D files at that time though so I decided I was going to get them re-shelled by a third party. Rather than destroy a perfectly good universal Legend X (sacrilege!), I decided to purchase someone else’s CIEM to get it re-shelled. I haven’t gotten around to getting the CIEM re-shelled though so I’m without a Legend X at this time and it’s been some time since I’ve heard one so comparisons to the SE would have to be from memory, which I’m hesitant to do. I do agree with the previous comments about the slightly lifted mids and tightened bass though. @SLC1966 did post a comparison here

Another funny story: unfortunately, I can’t use IEMs right now. My fault, I’ve been using silicone earplugs while I sleep. Combined with the warmer weather and higher humidity these last few days, it seems last night I developed a pimple right at the base of my ear canal. It’s in the angry red super sensitive phase so I won’t be enjoying any IEMs for a few days let alone the warm dulcet tones of the Legend X SE. In the meantime, here’s a pic of the SE with the EE Cleopatra custom CNC gunmetal splitter.

396E3032-C2B1-4759-B95D-B6F531211BE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #29,979 of 40,683
I think you’re right. They don’t pop up that often in this side of the pond, but patience is a virtue, eh?
I considered buying an LX SE, but decided it's a good monitor if you can only have ONE Empire Ears IEM. If you are going to have 2, you are better off getting an Odin and LX.

The best trifecta is the Odin, LX and Z1R. You are already almost there. The only decision is if you want to go custom.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #29,980 of 40,683
I hate to say it, but the more I look at the new LX logo, the less I like it :frowning2: it’s too similar to the Louis Vuitton logo 😂

I think I will stick with my “normie” LXSE…

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #29,981 of 40,683
Haha! I’ve had the notion of the DD ‘trifecta’ of the Z1R, Odin and LX and I think I may prefer the SE over the regular LX. This is why I will never get the Bird, too many distractions! Time to go look behind the couch me thinks and do some man math to see if I can swing one
This is exactly my main setup: Z1R, Odin and LXSE. I have some side pieces (like Nio for everyday travel, and Trio for some change of pace listening) but the vast majority of my listening are those 3 IEMs.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #29,982 of 40,683
I hate to say it, but the more I look at the new LX logo, the less I like it :frowning2: it’s too similar to the Louis Vuitton logo 😂

I think I will stick with my “normie” LXSE…
I actually love the logo. Black shell still looks better i think. But overall its awesome.

Let me know if anyone does. Not like SE wants to go back to OG LX haha.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #29,984 of 40,683
I actually love the logo. Black shell still looks better i think. But overall its awesome.

Let me know if anyone does. Not like SE wants to go back to OG LX haha.
Yeah I feel like the logo would look awesome on the black shells. Hopefully that will come in the near future 😄

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #29,985 of 40,683
Yeah, to be honest the new LX logo caught me off guard, I was expecting the double wings. I do prefer the wings, but at the same time I appreciate that Jack wanted to give us something a little special for this limited/final run of the SE. I will say I am happy they kept the original shell, definitely prefer it to the newer MK2 shells. I do love the classic Legend X black shells/gold logos though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back