Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #28,201 of 40,565
I don't know how it'll affect, say, the grippy finishes of AZLA's Xelastec tips. I'm fairly sure it's the same.
I think I read it on a review or on the official Xelastec cleaning instructions, don't remember. But it also seems many people clean their eartips with alcohol without any issues. The alcohol does seem to affect the shape of Xelastec tips after time but I think that could be just the nature of these tips. They do give you instructions on how to get the shape back, but I also think the Xelastec tips, unlike regular silicone, aren't made for longevity.

I think I'm going to start using alcohol wipes again for everything after this discussion.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #28,202 of 40,565
Well...for years of cleaning tips and IEM with alcohol I have had zero issues. I am not saying you won't, but I have done it for a decade
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've done it for years with no issues.

I think I read it on a review or on the official Xelastec cleaning instructions, don't remember. But it also seems many people clean their eartips with alcohol without any issues. The alcohol does seem to affect the shape of Xelastec tips after time but I think that could be just the nature of these tips. They do give you instructions on how to get the shape back, but I also think the Xelastec tips, unlike regular silicone, aren't made for longevity.

I think I'm going to start using alcohol wipes again for everything after this discussion.
Gotcha. Again, I personally haven't had any issues in my years of using it, and it's standard procedure in stores all across Asia too. I think it's perfectly safe, as long as it's high-percentage isopropyl alcohol. I believe 80% and over is ideal.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #28,203 of 40,565
That is definitely NOT my root cause for fit issues.
Unfortunately, I need to have my CIEMs "thinned" a little... I am waiting to hear from EE (by PMs) on how to proceed.
Thank you all for the tips and information. Much appreciated!
Might be worth it to get new impressions done if you are sending them back?

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #28,204 of 40,565
Man, I really wish Empire Ears offered a 4.4mm option on Odin’s stock cable :-/

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #28,205 of 40,565
Funny enough i was wondering if i could clean my LX with alcohol lol but did not want to rist. Now im getting a bit more confident, thats to above post.
Let me know if anyone managed to wipe the shell clear so you can see internals easily lol. I will adapt accordingly.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #28,207 of 40,565
Funny enough i was wondering if i could clean my LX with alcohol lol but did not want to rist. Now im getting a bit more confident, thats to above post.
Let me know if anyone managed to wipe the shell clear so you can see internals easily lol. I will adapt accordingly.
If the IEMs themselves are opaque, wiping them with alcohol won't suddenly make them transparent. :D Again, based on my years of experience using alcohol, as well as the testimony of literally everyone I've talked to in the industry, I can't really see why there's any further debate as to whether or not alcohol is safe to use with IEMs; whether acrylic, silicone or otherwise.

I don't know if this applies because acrylic IEM's are generally treated with a lacquer but it may do if the IEM has 'raw' acrylic exposed due to scratches etc?
https://www.instructables.com/Why-You-Dont-Clean-Acrylic-With-Alcohol-Methyl-Eth/
Well, the finishing lacquer on the surface is very similar to the acrylic underneath in that they're both photopolymer resins. I don't know whether the example you've linked is the same, or if it's another type of acrylic, which was discussed somewhat on Nic's thread some time ago. I've seen acrylic used to clean banged-up store demos of IEMs and cables too, so I don't think there's any issue there either.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #28,208 of 40,565
'Funny story about this: I asked Jack at CanJam SG 2018 whether or not it was safe to clean his IEMs with alcohol, and he said, "Yeah, man! I do it all the time!" I then immediately pointed to that section in EE's instruction manual and called him out on it, and he went, "Oh, man! Okay, we messed up on that one." It looks like they still haven't changed it three years later. :D Maybe that restriction only applies to certain types of alcohols. But, as quoted directly from Jack Vang, isopropyl alcohol is completely safe to use on EE's IEMs, just like all other acrylic-lacquered IEMs.

I clean my IEMs with alcohol wipes everyday lol. Sorry for any confusion folks!

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #28,209 of 40,565
Just Don't bath the IEMs in Alcohol. It's just a light clean up. A couple years doing that to my customs and no problems to date.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #28,212 of 40,565
I’ll eventually track down a Horus or comparable GPS cable. I’ll say this though, the Leo II even as a 4-wire is freaking incredible with the LX!! All those people saying cables don’t make a difference need to listen the the stock ARES II and then the Leo II… The improvements are undeniably brilliant!!

I do agree. A long time ago at a CanJam far, far away, I demo'd my Leo II with the LX against the stock cable. It was night and day, and that was in the noisy environment of a show.

have not! That was my plan for next CanJam, with the help of the pros from EE, but since those CanJams kept getting canceled - I am getting impatient... :wink:
Honestly, since CIEMs are a PITA to get in/out, and have no real re-sale value (for when upgradetitis hits) - I would rather buy universals. I know LX comes with nice tip collection, but I am still concerned none would seal well AND stay in.
Only six months to go until SoCal! On my universals, I find Final E-tip and Spin-Fit work best for me. I do want to try the AZLA Xelastec as I've heard good things about them - if I recall correctly they do run a little large, so it's important to get the next size down from other tips.

https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEa...ild=1&keywords=Xelastec&qid=1617757882&sr=8-3

when I get my CIEMs, I plan on drinking alcohol before, during and after use.
I prefer a good Islay Whisky with mine. In HNL, get a reservation for Bar, Leather Apron and go for some of their high-end craft cocktails.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #28,213 of 40,565
Only six months to go until SoCal! On my universals, I find Final E-tip and Spin-Fit work best for me. I do want to try the AZLA Xelastec as I've heard good things about them - if I recall correctly they do run a little large, so it's important to get the next size down from other tips.
So... given the choice - would you get custom or universal?

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #28,214 of 40,565
So... given the choice - would you get custom or universal?

I will only buy custom... (personally) - I think the comfort and isolation is worth it.

What you say is true about resale, etc.. how that affects things is that I'm still using a Zeus XR and am trying to avoid listening to any upgrade..

The fact that I'm in this thread (I re-joined it when Odin custom launched) is not promising though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back