Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #27,931 of 40,582
I received the Odin from audio46 on Fri. (Great customer service!)

I won't say much about its sonic characteristics now for fear of the new toy syndrome biasing my perception, but as of now I'm not just impressed/fully satisfied, I'm fairly blown away (and that's not so easy to do with me in regards to audio gear...or anything really haha). I absolutely can not stop listening to the Odin; going through hundreds of songs and dozens of albums to see how they render the music. I haven't yet found anything the Odins haven't mastered, even across dozens of genres/sub-genres.

I will say that while the Odins do sound great out of anything, they are picky with sources to truly bloom. I tried them out of the iBasso DX160 to start; great but not superb.

Then I went to my current desktop set up, first using the RME ADI-2 DAC FS IEM out (which, ftr, I don't find that great of a source either on the IEM or full sized headphone out: I use it mostly for when I'm watching youtube or other media on my computer); again great but not superb.

Then I tried my Gilmore Lite Mk2 which has been by far my favorite desktop amp for some time since it is slightly sweet/musical/warm while still powerful and resolving, and there...there was the magic that really showed what the Odin is truly capable of. Wow. I actually involuntarily exclaimed "Oh my!" like an old pearl clutching lady upon hearing the first few seconds on the first track I played through this combo.

Switching back and forth between the Gilmore Lite Mk2 and the iBasso DX160 has shown the limitations of the latter. It just can't compare. So, as I want to also use the Odin for when I'm reading/relaxing in bed, I have decided to invest in a 1k+ DAP (it never ends does it?!).

Reading around, I'm currently strongly considering the iBasso DX300 as it seems to have good synergy with the Odin and I like the amp card switching option (at least, if it's not just a gimmick: I haven't read up on that aspect with the DX220 to discern whether the amp card differences are significant or not; if anyone has an opinion feel free to enlighten me!). I'm also looking at the HiBy R8, Shanling M8, and Cayin N6ii.

So, for now, in sum, I'm not regretting spending this amount of money on a single IEM (and I really need to sell off my CFA Solaris and even the MEST now) as I was afraid I might be: the jump in SQ is real and worth it for me. I'm very glad I made this decision.

(I reserve the right to change/qualify my views above in time, but as I've stated many times before, I have never grown to love gear I was not at first--as in literally within seconds--at least impressed by, and gear that I was at least at first impressed by has not over time devolved in my estimation as "junk" even if it has become less good or impressive as I've scaled up. So, iow, I doubt that some months from now I will view the Odin as significantly less than what I do now: I still, in fact, am impressed by aspects of the CFA Solaris and especially the MEST even if I was aware of their significant SQ limitations right away. With the Odin I hear no significant SQ limitations).
I used to have the DX300, with the intention of solely pairing it with the Odin. It's not a bad pairing in my opinion, the bass delivered was excellent and treble good enough. However I felt the midrange was only decent because of the inaccuracy in some vocals and instruments' timbre. It felt like it was missing the realism slightly to my ears. In addition I also heard that it had a bit of hiss balanced out, and more noticeable from the 4.4mm output. It had a very good presentation and resolution nonetheless.
If I had to choose again, I'd say the WM1A/1Z complements the Odin very well. I'd recommend it for you to try someday :)

I use this with my LX. Seriously the best thing Campfire ever made (and the only Campfire product I own). 😝

Effective yet simple. With good quality material too. I'd say the C/2019 Q4 is the best one they have currently. It's a shame that they don't make it more available.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #27,934 of 40,582
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #27,936 of 40,582
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Eneded up ordering a Peli 1020 with foam insert which should do the job nicely.

Screenshot_20210331-164024_Chrome.jpg

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #27,937 of 40,582
On a side note, does anyone experience driver flex once the Legend X is seated firmly in their ear?

I get that driver flex should occur when taking them in and out of my ears and I'm fine with that but I'm getting flex in the left earpiece even when listening to music with a full seal Eg when my jaw moves when smiling...

It seems as though that earpiece is much more sensitive to the pressure change...

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #27,938 of 40,582
On a side note, does anyone experience driver flex once the Legend X is seated firmly in their ear?

I get that driver flex should occur when taking them in and out of my ears and I'm fine with that but I'm getting flex in the left earpiece even when listening to music with a full seal Eg when my jaw moves when smiling...

It seems as though that earpiece is much more sensitive to the pressure change...

I’ve only ever experienced the flex during insertion and removal. Have you tip rolled to see if other tips eliminate the problem?

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #27,941 of 40,582
Is driver flex specific to certain brands or models? I have never experienced this with 64 audio IEMs, only with the LX. Not a big issue, if you know what it is, and if it only happens during insertion. Fortunately I had read about it prior to hearing it. Otherwise I would have been concerned... But yeah, not great to hear this while listening to music.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #27,943 of 40,582
Is driver flex specific to certain brands or models? I have never experienced this with 64 audio IEMs, only with the LX. Not a big issue, if you know what it is, and if it only happens during insertion. Fortunately I had read about it prior to hearing it. Otherwise I would have been concerned... But yeah, not great to hear this while listening to music.
Not sure about other brands but it is known with LX for sure.

Not a concern re longevity of the drivers but as you say not great at all when listening to music and smiling which these make me do more often than not!

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #27,944 of 40,582
Hey guys, if anyone's interested in my take on the new Bravado MkII, my full review is now online HERE. Feel free to comment here, on the review, or PM me if you have any questions.

Nicely done. My first thought was that the B2 was the new LX jr. but it was surprising to see that it’s wasn’t. Amazing what Jack and his crew can do with these little pieces of engineering marvel.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #27,945 of 40,582
Nicely done. My first thought was that the B2 was the new LX jr. but it was surprising to see that it’s wasn’t. Amazing what Jack and his crew can do with these little pieces of engineering marvel.
Thanks. I don't hear it as anything like the LX, at least not in the mids and highs. Bass is big and slightly more aggressive than LX, but nowhere near as refined and nuanced. If B2 is '50 Shades of Grey' in its sound, LX is 500.

All that said, the reason I compared them in my review is because I have them both on hand. I think there are other IEMs more suited for comparison, even the other MkII models. That would be more of an apples vs apples comparison.

It's a fun IEM, and I get a kick (literally) out of using it every time I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back