Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #27,961 of 40,613
I spent the whole afternoon at Empire Ears facility in Norcross today. The entire team is such a nice and welcoming family. I met Jack, Dean, Catherine, Josh and employees in every department. They were busy making everyone's IEMs and they were busy everywhere which was great to see. Josh took me through the history of the company and how they got started and how they ended up developing and evolving the Odin. Then, I got a tour of the facility and ended up in the experience room which is basically a relaxing room with several large sofas for listening to IEMs. It must be the southern hospitality, but I felt totally welcome and really appreciated the visit.

I got to listen to then entire line up of new IEMs. Of course, I already own the Odins and I was most interested in hearing the Legend X. Aside from those obvious winners, I liked the ESR MK2. I thought it had the best tuning of the other IEMs in the line. I also liked the Valkyrie MKII as it sounded like a tribrid with the W9 subwoofer which I have grown to love.

Anyway, I spent the most time listening to the Legend X because I wanted to give it the full test drive. I brought my LPW2, Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo 2 and R6 2020 DAP. I must admit that right out of the gate, I thought that it had overwhelming and uncontrolled bass. That was with the LPW2, so I switched to the Hugo 2 and it tightening things up quite a bit. Then, I EQed them to Harman and they really sounded great. True all around material. I could appreciate the technical capabilities of the Legend X without the overwhelming bass. Now I understand what people were talking about earlier in the thread about the Legend X being more than an IEM for bass heads. Then, I turned off EQ and started getting used to the elevated bass. As much bass as there was, I could still hear the full frequency response. It just took my ears some time to adjust to them. I am seriously thinking about getting a custom pair to go with my Odins.

Thanks Josh and the entire Empire Ears family for having me. I really enjoyed my visit.

Hell yes!! You lucky mofo!! So… did you walk out with universal LXs to hold you down until you finally get customs?!? My custom ear molds arrived today too so I wonder if you saw my tray!! 😂

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #27,962 of 40,613
Hell yes!! You lucky mofo!! So… did you walk out with universal LXs to hold you down until you finally get customs?!? My custom ear molds arrived today too so I wonder if you saw my tray!! 😂
I probably did see your tray because I saw them all. Josh showed me the entire work flow. He also took ear impressions and I picked a custom plate color of purple and teal stabilized burl. Could probably get a matching set of ZMF headphones in the same wood.

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #27,963 of 40,613
I probably did see your tray because I saw them all. Josh showed me the entire work flow. He also took ear impressions and I picked a custom plate color of purple and teal stabilized burl. Could probably get a matching set of ZMF headphones in the same wood.

That’s what I’m talking about!! I went with a gold/silver custom plate. I can’t wait to see the finished product. You manage to squeeze any more info from Jack on the upcoming small SE drop?!? 🙄

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #27,964 of 40,613
That’s what I’m talking about!! I went with a gold/silver custom plate. I can’t wait to see the finished product. You manage to squeeze any more info from Jack on the upcoming small SE drop?!? 🙄
We discussed it. But, he's going to have to comment on it here.

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #27,965 of 40,613

Attachments

• 8CD73C14-9811-4D1E-A561-153C18C7C068.gif
    8CD73C14-9811-4D1E-A561-153C18C7C068.gif
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #27,966 of 40,613
These!! And don’t forget the Spiral Dot++!! The SD++ and both Azlas are courtesy of Amazon.
You reckon Is there a big sonic difference in your opinion with the earfit short, earfit light and the standard earfit (which I have)?

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #27,967 of 40,613
Left to right:
Spiral Dot++
Spiral Dot
SednaEarfitLite Short
SednaEarfit Short

Pretty darn close to same size.
Spiral Dots have a slightly larger bore.
SendaEarfits are slightly shorter.
The material also matters. I had the SD L but they would not stay in my ears, while the Sedna L are ok. The silicon on the spiral dots is a lot thinner.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #27,968 of 40,613
These!! And don’t forget the Spiral Dot++!! The SD++ and both Azlas are courtesy of Amazon.
I've just ordered two sets of these, the new Spiral Dot SF. Fascinated to try them out for fit and seal, and sound of course. They're said to be more comfy than the SD++ with a slightly lighter sound. Ordered two sizes as reviews suggest going one size up from the regular Spirals. Will report back here when they arrive (could take a couple of weeks from Japan).

images (86).jpeg

Thanks @gLer for the great review and information!
Always a pleasure, but thanks must go to @JoshWatkins for making it happen! The very last item on my bucket list: hear and review the Odin. Anyone have a pair they're willing to loan me for a week or two? @Jack Vang 🙄😄
@saltyfr0g , I have a Thor/Leo I'm using now, to great effect. In a couple of days, I'll have a 1960’s two-wire to compare. I also have a Plussound silver and gold that works quite well with the LX, which was a surprise, since I haven't liked it with anything else. Probably because of the upward tilt in the treble, which is desirable (to my ears) with the Legends.
Very much looking forward to your impressions of the 1960s with the LX. And of @saltyfr0g's impressions of the Leo II. I'm after a 1950s myself, so watch this space...
My experience has been no. The ML is the perfect size using the JVC tips, but I need to use a MS when using the Sedna Lights.
I use both in MS size. Spirals win hands down in comfort but the Sedna's have a sharper sound profile.
You reckon Is there a big sonic difference in your opinion with the earfit short, earfit light and the standard earfit (which I have)?
The shorts reduce distance to eardrum quite considerably, so I believe there would be a slight sonic difference. I find the shorts much more comfortable though. The regulars add unnecessary length to the nozzle, as I prefer a shallower fit with all my IEMs. YMMV.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #27,969 of 40,613
I recently discovered advanced sound’s wartime fidelity u tips, which are elliptical (oval) shaped and they have replaced Xelastec tips as my favorites with Odin and my other items. While I never had a problem getting a seal with other tips, I often found bass to be less impactful with most silicon tips, but these elliptical tips solve that issue for me. More than most though, YMMV because this is probably something that is fairly specific to eat canal shape.
As i am a sucker for tip rolling and dont have Fidelity U set yet. I definitely am getting a set.
What size was your xelastecs and what size did Fidelity U tips fit you best?
Just need to see relative size of these, as I am usually go between S and M. So i might go wrong on size. .
Cheers

The only difference you will get is between normal and short is based on fit depth. As in deeper insertion provides more solid seal and can push lower mids and bass forward. Or shallower makes the sound leaner, which might give you a bit more spaciousness.
But this will vary on how your iem shell sit in your ear as well so you might have different experience.

Otherwise it will only depend wether you go for black or light versions. And even then it isnt night and day difference for me.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #27,970 of 40,613
I've just ordered two sets of these, the new Spiral Dot SF. Fascinated to try them out for fit and seal, and sound of course. They're said to be more comfy than the SD++ with a slightly lighter sound. Ordered two sizes as reviews suggest going one size up from the regular Spirals. Will report back here when they arrive (could take a couple of weeks from Japan).

images (86).jpeg

Always a pleasure, but thanks must go to @JoshWatkins for making it happen! The very last item on my bucket list: hear and review the Odin. Anyone have a pair they're willing to loan me for a week or two? @Jack Vang 🙄😄

Very much looking forward to your impressions of the 1960s with the LX. And of @saltyfr0g's impressions of the Leo II. I'm after a 1950s myself, so watch this space...

I use both in MS size. Spirals win hands down in comfort but the Sedna's have a sharper sound profile.

The shorts reduce distance to eardrum quite considerably, so I believe there would be a slight sonic difference. I find the shorts much more comfortable though. The regulars add unnecessary length to the nozzle, as I prefer a shallower fit with all my IEMs. YMMV.
Waiting for my SF's as well lol I ordered a bunch of different tips from e-earphone.

My friend was sending me and our friends here in Canada some anime goods from Japan, so I asked if she could get me some eartips from e-earphone as well lol (sadly, it's going by ship so it'll take a long while to get here.)

127434 copy.jpg

Definitely wasn't cheap lol

Bless her gracious heart :joy:

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #27,971 of 40,613
I spent the whole afternoon at Empire Ears facility in Norcross today. The entire team is such a nice and welcoming family. I met Jack, Dean, Catherine, Josh and employees in every department. They were busy making everyone's IEMs and they were busy everywhere which was great to see. Josh took me through the history of the company and how they got started and how they ended up developing and evolving the Odin. Then, I got a tour of the facility and ended up in the experience room which is basically a relaxing room with several large sofas for listening to IEMs. It must be the southern hospitality, but I felt totally welcome and really appreciated the visit.

I got to listen to then entire line up of new IEMs. Of course, I already own the Odins and I was most interested in hearing the Legend X. Aside from those obvious winners, I liked the ESR MK2. I thought it had the best tuning of the other IEMs in the line. I also liked the Valkyrie MKII as it sounded like a tribrid with the W9 subwoofer which I have grown to love.

Anyway, I spent the most time listening to the Legend X because I wanted to give it the full test drive. I brought my LPW2, Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo 2 and R6 2020 DAP. I must admit that right out of the gate, I thought that it had overwhelming and uncontrolled bass. That was with the LPW2, so I switched to the Hugo 2 and it tightening things up quite a bit. Then, I EQed them to Harman and they really sounded great. True all around material. I could appreciate the technical capabilities of the Legend X without the overwhelming bass. Now I understand what people were talking about earlier in the thread about the Legend X being more than an IEM for bass heads. Then, I turned off EQ and started getting used to the elevated bass. As much bass as there was, I could still hear the full frequency response. It just took my ears some time to adjust to them. I am seriously thinking about getting a custom pair to go with my Odins.

Thanks Josh and the entire Empire Ears family for having me. I really enjoyed my visit.
How did you find the Valkyrie MkII? Very little being said about then on here but I’ve been looking a little into them recently.

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #27,972 of 40,613
It just seems strange to me that it has only happened with one earpiece and not the other, when I purposefully move the earpiece with my fingers slightly in both ears, one seems to be a lot more sensitive to flex than the other. Think I'll get them replaced as I've only had them a couple of days!

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #27,973 of 40,613
It just seems strange to me that it has only happened with one earpiece and not the other, when I purposefully move the earpiece with my fingers slightly in both ears, one seems to be a lot more sensitive to flex than the other. Think I'll get them replaced as I've only had them a couple of days!
No two ears are the same. It’s possible one of your ears is just shaped in such a way, that it’s more sensitive to pressure changes or a loss in seal. My left ear is like that. When I smile or open my mouth, the seal on my left ear will break before the one on my right. So, it probably isn’t anything to do with the IEM. It’s simply nature, I’m afraid.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #27,974 of 40,613
I recently discovered advanced sound’s wartime fidelity u tips, which are elliptical (oval) shaped and they have replaced Xelastec tips as my favorites with Odin and my other items. While I never had a problem getting a seal with other tips, I often found bass to be less impactful with most silicon tips, but these elliptical tips solve that issue for me. More than most though, YMMV because this is probably something that is fairly specific to eat canal shape.
I looked at those before, during my quest for the right eartips. The crazy shipping cost held me back: $ 65 for DHL (vs. $25 for the product). This post triggered the decision to buy these after all... Shipping with USPS ($15). I hope they arrive someday ... :)

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #27,975 of 40,613
I looked at those before, during my quest for the right eartips. The crazy shipping cost held me back: $ 65 for DHL (vs. $25 for the product). This post triggered the decision to buy these after all... Shipping with USPS ($15). I hope they arrive someday ... :)
Look forward to your feedback on these with LX and Fourte!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back