Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #25,276 of 40,587
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the D8000 Pro vs the Utopia? Tks.

By the time I got the D8000 Pro for review in January, I had already sold my Utopia to help fund this spending spree on IEMs this year culminating with the Odin. With that said, since I chose my D8000 over the Utopia, I would choose the Pro as well. The Utopia is a beautifully made headphone with great technical chops, but for me, it lacks the emotional involvement of either of the final planars.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #25,277 of 40,587
The Final D8000 Pro is just as expensive, correct? I have heard a few comments about them being a bit sibilant, yet they still give them high ratings. That does not make sense to me. I would be curious if you hear that as well.
Yeah, it is lol that’s actually what I meant with not capable of purchasing “them”.
I’m always in envy of people who have them. Gotta work harder!!!

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #25,278 of 40,587

Yeah, it is lol that’s actually what I meant with not capable of purchasing “them”.
I’m always in envy of people who have them. Gotta work harder!!!
1600587787228.png

Although I don't listen to rap, I swear :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #25,279 of 40,587
Just wanted to let those interested in a Legend X that I posted mine in classifieds. I am the original owner and have had it since April of this year. I usually would not post here but I want those interested in the wonderful sound of the LX to have a chance at getting one. I will sell it today so I will be lowering the price every couple hours until it is sold.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #25,280 of 40,587
I am prompted by some recent conversation about whether the Odin FE holds any intrinsic value above non-FE versions to add: if the Odin becomes a new paradigm for success at its price point, then, yes, I do believe from a collector’s standpoint the FE versions will sell at an appreciably higher price down the road. I may be off my rocker here, but those are my thoughts for those interested in such things.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #25,281 of 40,587
The best new song I heard this year ...

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #25,284 of 40,587
What did you think?

I feel like Odin combines the best qualities of both Hero and Legend X, and refines them even more into a whole balanced package. I can see how this can be the end of the journey for some people, @kalsonc included. Not to mention that the faceplate is probably the most beautiful pattern I have ever witnessed in person.

use this-140600.jpg

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #25,285 of 40,587
I am prompted by some recent conversation about whether the Odin FE holds any intrinsic value above non-FE versions to add: if the Odin becomes a new paradigm for success at its price point, then, yes, I do believe from a collector’s standpoint the FE versions will sell at an appreciably higher price down the road. I may be off my rocker here, but those are my thoughts for those interested in such things.
I just do not see that happening as the IEM’s themselves are exactly the same. I might agree if the finish was different and somehow better.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #25,286 of 40,587
I just do not see that happening as the IEM’s themselves are exactly the same. I might agree if the finish was different and somehow better.

The Odin FE would be worth more money if the signature was more well known as in a famous person. Not to say the Empire Ears people are not great, they just are not in the same category as if Bill Gates or Harrison Ford signed them.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #25,287 of 40,587
The Odin FE would be worth more money if the signature was more well known as in a famous person. Not to say the Empire Ears people are not great, they just are not in the same category as if Bill Gates or Harrison Ford signed them.

I’m sure Dean is not done making himself a legend. 😉

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #25,288 of 40,587
Agree...and is not like a very limited edition of an already limited edition IEM.(VE Erlkonig)

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #25,289 of 40,587
With any kind of limited edition item, but particularly with one where the limited edition version is not substantially different from the non-limited version, my experience has been that if you buy it because you think it is going to appreciate in value (or hold it’s value better than it otherwise would), there is a high likelihood that you end up disappointed on that front. There are, of course, plenty of exceptions to this, but I’ve gotten enough limited edition items that did not hold their value any different from regular items to not base my purchase decisions on that kind of marketing.

I would love to be wrong in the case of the Odin FE, and I’m very happy I have one, but my happiness comes from the fact that I think the Odins are a fantastic iem (and a big time technical achievement) and I’m glad to be able to be among the first to enjoy them. I was excited about EE releasing this much anticipated flagship, I trusted them enough to get it right that I was willing to take the plunge based on only a few sets of impressions, and I’m very glad that at least for my money, EE delivered big. If the fact that my set are FEs means that down the line they have a bit better resale, that’s nice, but I’m not counting on it (or planning to sell anytime soon)—I’m just enjoying the music :ksc75smile:

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #25,290 of 40,587
Hey all, my Hero review was just published here! It’s a more critical take (that’s just my style), but I hope it’s an informative and interesting read if anything. If there’s one thing I can’t knock, it’s that the Hero has character.

65704FBA-F3F5-4D41-A85B-701D4838E401.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back