Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #25,306 of 40,587
@gLer the upper mid/treble was something really evident on the Zeus, then then kinda dropped it up till this release. I'm not sure you could say it's a house sound. To me at least it seems like a refined v shape. Granted I'm really happy with this change and hope it's not a one time thing.

I also suspect I have a really good tolerance for upper mids.What other people are saying "too much" tends to be "not enough" or "y'all have some more of those upper mids" for me.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #25,307 of 40,587
@gLer the upper mid/treble was something really evident on the Zeus, then then kinda dropped it up till this release. I'm not sure you could say it's a house sound. To me at least it seems like a refined v shape. Granted I'm really happy with this change and hope it's not a one time thing.

I also suspect I have a really good tolerance for upper mids.What other people are saying "too much" tends to be "not enough" or "y'all have some more of those upper mids" for me.
Have you ever tried the tapes ? 😅 if that’s not to much .. insane peak in the upper mids

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #25,309 of 40,587
Have you ever tried the tapes ? 😅 if that’s not to much .. insane peak in the upper mids
Nope, and now I'm afraid to touch them.

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #25,312 of 40,587
Well it made sense to someone who does it for a living enough to negate making a chunk of cash. For substance, most IEM’s seal my entire outer ear so there may be merit to his professional opinion.
I am not denying the value of Universals, I also use them, or your audiologist. I disagree a bit in that even though there might be no sound difference, because a custom seals around the outer ear vs a universal sealing only via the ear canal, the custom will provide more sound isolation. This would be another reason to consider having a custom .... for extra loud environments.

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #25,313 of 40,587
If we are being technical, all iems seal in the outer ear, which includes the ear canal. The middle and inner ear are both on the other side of the tympanic membrane (eardrum), and if you ever had an iem extending into your middle or inner ear, you'd have some major problems and likely wouldn't be hearing much of anything anymore from that ear :triportsad: Your point is well taken though that customs do generally extend deeper into the ear canal than universal iems and generally tend to provide better isolation :smile_phones:
That was not my point. Yes, all IEM’s use the outer ear. But customs mostly seal around the outer ear vs in the ear canal only for a universal. This allows for more sound isolation should you have a need for it. I do not mean customs always sound better either. I am only referring to sound isolation which can be a value in certain environments. Tks.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #25,314 of 40,587
Just saw this ... $120,000 special edition Utopia commissioned by Focal:

1600752813781.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #25,315 of 40,587
Hotel California Live on Mtv 1994, intro part with Odin. w9+ is trying to bomb my eardrums. More tense than z1r or mest. Odin Carter, Half iem half amazing. Though with mest soundstage presentation is more interesting and not just holographic, it is behind the head as well.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #25,316 of 40,587
Empire Ears don't make balanced, they make extraordinary.
20200923_132048.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #25,317 of 40,587
Hotel California Live on Mtv 1994, intro part with Odin. w9+ is trying to bomb my eardrums. More tense than z1r or mest. Odin Carter, Half iem half amazing. Though with mest soundstage presentation is more interesting and not just holographic, it is behind the head as well.

I'd be extremely curious to hear your impressions of the Odin Vs Z1R (and maybe a little MEST in there too).

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #25,319 of 40,587
I'd be extremely curious to hear your impressions of the Odin Vs Z1R (and maybe a little MEST in there too).
Let me go home and write. You can’t fault with all 3.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #25,320 of 40,587
Didn’t find it’s place in recommended list, like Sultan. You can’t hear a bad review from headfonia, they are too kind to do it, the only way to know if they really recommend the thing is to check if they place it in the recommended list. Otherwise they are kindly saying that it’s not that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back