Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #24,451 of 40,577
That's something that some see as an advantage for UIEMs, while others see it as a flaw reliability-wise. While I personally prefer customs because they can only go in (and therefore, sound) one way, I do appreciate how much you can tune a universal's sound through stuff like placement. I also prefer the Wraith's sound when it's sitting slightly out, which adds spaciousness and balances out the mids and treble a tad more.

This change has dramatically changed the tonality of the headphone. If this were a custom, and the fit were off, this headphone would be bright and light in the bass, which is what my first 24 hours experience has been with these. My notes read like Jekyll and Hyde. I'm going to have to go back and start my assessment over.

One sample:
"Los Lobos: Dream In Blue— This track has thunderous bass. It feels too controlled. On the Fourte this track compresses your skull. On the Odin— the bass is there with no prat or slam"

Entirely different with the shallow seat. Deep cranium rattling bass. It's a completely different headphone. It is bright up top, though. We'll see how they break in.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #24,452 of 40,577
This change has dramatically changed the tonality of the headphone. If this were a custom, and the fit were off, this headphone would be bright and light in the bass, which is what my first 24 hours experience has been with these. My notes read like Jekyll and Hyde. I'm going to have to go back and start my assessment over.

One sample:
"Los Lobos: Dream In Blue— This track has thunderous bass. It feels too controlled. On the Fourte this track compresses your skull. On the Odin— the bass is there with no prat or slam"

Entirely different with the shallow seat. Deep cranium rattling bass. It's a completely different headphone. It is bright up top, though. We'll see how they break in.
Ya the one corollary to 'better bass' with a shallow fit is, often, peaky highs. That's why so many people have issues with the IER-Z1R for example. It sounds best deep seated, but because of its size and shape, many can only wear it shallow fit, hence the peaky highs we always hear about with that IEM. Unless it's worn deeper. Look forward to your Odin review and matchups with your 64 Audio collection.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #24,453 of 40,577
I too look forward to hearing others options of the Odin (and Hero) vs other top IEM's. I'll need to see fi there are some tours of the other TOTL IEM's that folks post about. I have another prototype headphone amp being sent to me in a couple of weeks. The. designer says it's much better than what he has been sending me, so we will see. I think I have a good enough handle on the Odin's and how they sound on my AK SR25 as well as my other 2 channel DAC's/amps. It's fun helping voice gear, so it will be fun to run the Odin's vs my 2 channel rig and since these aren't custom, I look forward to hearing. what my friend thinks too as his ears are very good.

I also think I may get a much higher end DAP. I keep hearing about the iBasso DX220 Max I believe it is as well as the brand new AK 200. I'd probably sell the SR25 if I do this to free up some cash, lol. Thanks Dean/Jack/EE for making me get better electronics. I will say that I threw my old pair of Noble's on the AK SR25 and realized how FAR IEM's have come.

I have been telling all my 2 channel friends that they need to give the Odin's a listen if they are even possibly thinking about getting a headphone or IEM. I'm not going to look for a BT deal for the Odin's so I can enjoy them out of the house when I need to have full access to my phone. I saw a couple of Fiio units. Any other thoughts on a BT device is appreciated. Thanks. Pete

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #24,454 of 40,577
I honestly went in kind of expecting to be a little disappointed in their sound with all the hype these have been getting. However, so far I’m blown away by everything! You peeps, especially you CL14715, were and are not kidding! They are truly amazing!

The bass is amazing. I expected to be disappointed on that front as well coming from the Legend X and Tia Trio and Nio. Well I can say it’s perfect so far.

To me they seem to be a combination of the 3D like quality of the U12T with the bass (a little less) of the Legend X and closer to the Trios with nothing muddy at all like I hear with the Nios sometimes.
You mentioned the Trio there. If someone has the Odin is there any point in keeping the Trio?

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #24,455 of 40,577
Let the games begin...
C3892DCF-F7E5-4C0D-AB3E-72C58CBD10A4.jpeg

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #24,456 of 40,577
You mentioned the Trio there. If someone has the Odin is there any point in keeping the Trio?
That’s a good question. I don’t know yet. At first listen with these Odins, I’m questioning whether I need any other IEMs. So maybe I don’t need the U12ts, the Nios, the Trios or the Legend X anymore. I need a lot more time to figure it all out! I love all of them in their own ways, but the Odins are making me rethink all of this.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #24,457 of 40,577
That’s a good question. I don’t know yet. At first listen with these Odins, I’m questioning whether I need any other IEMs. So maybe I don’t need the U12ts, the Nios, the Trios or the Legend X anymore. I need a lot more time to figure it all out! I love all of them in their own ways, but the Odins are making me rethink all of this.
Welcome to my world lol..

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #24,458 of 40,577
I would love it if there was one IEM that ticks every single box for me and I wouldn't have to so much as look at other IEMs. As much as I'd like to believe that such a beast exists, I just don't see it, and for sure not at an accessible price. Hopefully the Odin is that for you. On paper it doesn't tick every one of my boxes but it's very much back on my to-hear list in place of Hero.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #24,459 of 40,577
I’d like to read your impressions when your Odin is ready and see if it does everything the Trio, U12T and Nio does and if it makes them redundant.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #24,460 of 40,577
I’d like to read your impressions when your Odin is ready and see if it does everything the Trio, U12T and Nio does and if it makes them redundant.
I have the Trio as well. Odin does everything with more proficiency or body, even bests the treble on the trio which I really like.

That being said, I’m much more comfortable traveling with the Trio than the Odin. So consider redundancy what you must but I fear taking things like the Odin out of the house. That’s what I have my Hero and Trio for. Hero for more energy and Trio for similar sound just smoother.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #24,461 of 40,577
Based on my recollection with the trio, I believe the Oden has much better clarity and less siblings and highs. It’s just so much less fatiguing for my ears as I’m very sensitive in that region. Odin is like a great two channel speaker in that it does everything much better than others that are out there. I’m not a bass head I’m not a middle-range forward person and I’m not a super high piercing treble person.

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #24,462 of 40,577
I too look forward to hearing others options of the Odin (and Hero) vs other top IEM's. I'll need to see fi there are some tours of the other TOTL IEM's that folks post about. I have another prototype headphone amp being sent to me in a couple of weeks. The. designer says it's much better than what he has been sending me, so we will see. I think I have a good enough handle on the Odin's and how they sound on my AK SR25 as well as my other 2 channel DAC's/amps. It's fun helping voice gear, so it will be fun to run the Odin's vs my 2 channel rig and since these aren't custom, I look forward to hearing. what my friend thinks too as his ears are very good.

I also think I may get a much higher end DAP. I keep hearing about the iBasso DX220 Max I believe it is as well as the brand new AK 200. I'd probably sell the SR25 if I do this to free up some cash, lol. Thanks Dean/Jack/EE for making me get better electronics. I will say that I threw my old pair of Noble's on the AK SR25 and realized how FAR IEM's have come.

I have been telling all my 2 channel friends that they need to give the Odin's a listen if they are even possibly thinking about getting a headphone or IEM. I'm not going to look for a BT deal for the Odin's so I can enjoy them out of the house when I need to have full access to my phone. I saw a couple of Fiio units. Any other thoughts on a BT device is appreciated. Thanks. Pete

The iFi xDSD gets great reviews and can take Bluetooth from your smart phone.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #24,463 of 40,577
So Odin will be universal only ya...
I am more of a customs guy and i have no way of listening to a demo. According to reviews and threads Odin sound will be great choice for me, but as a first time universal user will it be a good purchase?

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #24,464 of 40,577
So Odin will be universal only ya...
I am more of a customs guy and i have no way of listening to a demo. According to reviews and threads Odin sound will be great choice for me, but as a first time universal user will it be a good purchase?

there is a custom version , coming out sometime later this year/early next year

so be patient and buy the custom version once it gets out

or you may wanna buy the uni version , check it out and if you like it sell it and get the custom (you take a small hit that way but you are not buying blindly)

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #24,465 of 40,577
there is a custom version , coming out sometime later this year/early next year

so be patient and buy the custom version once it gets out

or you may wanna buy the uni version , check it out and if you like it sell it and get the custom (you take a small hit that way but you are not buying blindly)

in that case i will wait...thank you for the info and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back