Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #24,467 of 40,591
Got my ODIN earlier this week but due to work I haven’t been able to listen as much as I want to until today. Wow these things really are remarkable and exceeded my every expectation! The layering is stunning. I’m hearing instruments and surprises in music I have listened to for years and haven’t noticed with other monitors. I was afraid I would be disappointed with the build up but the ODIN lives up to the hype and beyond for me!
I have small ears and the large shell on the ODIN is my only concern at this time. I have listened with the Final E tips, Xelastec and the Sedna light version in various sizes. So far I am struggling with comfort and have some soreness in the outer portion of my ear where the shell sits. I’m not willing to give up yet as the sound is so lush and sublime that I can’t imagine going back to not having them. With that said I find myself wondering if the custom fit would also be a large shell that doesn’t fit a small ear without discomfort.
My hope is that perhaps I have just not figured out a good way of positioning the outer shells for comfort while still finding a tip that gives a good seal. This is my first universal IEM in several years as I generally prefer customs. I’m hoping to find a way to have these fit comfortably. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #24,468 of 40,591
Got my ODIN earlier this week but due to work I haven’t been able to listen as much as I want to until today. Wow these things really are remarkable and exceeded my every expectation! The layering is stunning. I’m hearing instruments and surprises in music I have listened to for years and haven’t noticed with other monitors. I was afraid I would be disappointed with the build up but the ODIN lives up to the hype and beyond for me!
I have small ears and the large shell on the ODIN is my only concern at this time. I have listened with the Final E tips, Xelastec and the Sedna light version in various sizes. So far I am struggling with comfort and have some soreness in the outer portion of my ear where the shell sits. I’m not willing to give up yet as the sound is so lush and sublime that I can’t imagine going back to not having them. With that said I find myself wondering if the custom fit would also be a large shell that doesn’t fit a small ear without discomfort.
My hope is that perhaps I have just not figured out a good way of positioning the outer shells for comfort while still finding a tip that gives a good seal. This is my first universal IEM in several years as I generally prefer customs. I’m hoping to find a way to have these fit comfortably. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Custom tips?

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #24,471 of 40,591
I suppose so. Anything that would space the shells further out technically should help.

I sold my JH Audio Angie II universal due to it's large size. It would always be large even with custom tips. I have a custom Angie coming in a couple of weeks. :relaxed:

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #24,472 of 40,591
Would that change how the large shell sits in my outer ear causing discomfort?
Yes it would. Also the nozzle will not hold the tip. I hope you find a solution to the fit, good luck.

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #24,473 of 40,591
Based on my recollection with the trio, I believe the Odin has much better clarity and less siblings and highs.

Pete, by now it should be common knowledge that the Trio has 5 brothers and 3 sisters; clearly the Odin has less siblings.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #24,476 of 40,591
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #24,477 of 40,591
So Odin will be universal only ya...
I am more of a customs guy and i have no way of listening to a demo. According to reviews and threads Odin sound will be great choice for me, but as a first time universal user will it be a good purchase?

I was a CIEM person too and Jack and I talked about a straight up IEM. I told him I'd try them. I'm so glad that I did as they fit great and are still so comfy. I never expected that as I couldn't get IEM's to be comfy for my ears. I'm using the Final E's that come wiht them. I'll be buying more of them. it's so easy to get them seated properly so that I don't change the sound. It's too bad you can't try them in IEM first (unless Barra is getting the Odin's and Hero for his tour which I believe he will). Go check that out as you may be surprised. Good luck!

Pete, by now it should be common knowledge that the Trio has 5 brothers and 3 sisters; clearly the Odin has less siblings.

LOL...I love it. Great call!!! :)

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #24,478 of 40,591
Let the games begin...
I just did this today. Both are overpriced to me, but uh lets just say one is more overpriced compared to the other. *cough* Not Odin *cough*

As usual my full impressions will be a more neutral territory than a dealer thread, but a preview:

Shells for Hero and Odin had an improved fit on my problematic left ear, so kudos to that. Still waiting for lips on the nozzle though, after going on the Hero, my Radius deepmounts just wouldn't stay on the Odin. Force to switch to Symbio Ns. Still can't beat the QDC fit yet, but close.

Hero: I had some really high expectations for this, but I was let down. The whole DNA from Zeus and LX mention was an interesting premise, as was the mini-Odin mention. Both fell flat to me, the Hero has a different tuning than Odin and feels more of a mini-Zeus than anything. Ultimately it feels like an unholy union of the best parts of LX and Odin and toned down quite a bit (Phantom vibes here), the faceplates are very interesting, I'm not sure if it was the pattern on the model I demoed, but they felt better looking at photograpy than the actual thing and kinda felt a bit cheap compared to the standard black the X and EP lines uses. Overall I'd rather get the Andromeda 2020 and feel that it holds it's spot in that price range.

Odin: On the other hand, I was quite cynical despite following the hype on the thread, especially with the implications that came with it. An interesting caveat needs to be made: The tuning of the Odin fits my preferences exactly, but it's still an impartial take same as all other demos. The first thing on my notes for this literally says "Empire did not make this, this is not theri house sound" , so a congratulations to Jack and Dean for making something that surprised the heck out of me. While Odin might not live up to the extremes of the hype being thrown, it does showcase the capabilites and technical know how of Empire in a very elegant manner. Given the driver count, I expected some coherency issues but none that I could pick up. Bass is extremely well done, dialed back from the LX but refined and no slouch, it's not bassheads level, but it'll satisified most that fall outside the category. Nice knowing that Empire can do bass the way I like it. The biggest issue was how smooth the treble sound, it was a "Eh, there's 4 estats here?" levels of Wraithy though it might just be speaking for how well the Valkyrie's single estat was done. Being one of those, "It's nice, but price is an objective" it makes it's way into the second spot of my top 3 (u12t, Odin, Z1R).

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #24,479 of 40,591
I just did this today. Both are overpriced to me, but uh lets just say one is more overpriced compared to the other. *cough* Not Odin *cough*

As usual my full impressions will be a more neutral territory than a dealer thread, but a preview:

Shells for Hero and Odin had an improved fit on my problematic left ear, so kudos to that. Still waiting for lips on the nozzle though, after going on the Hero, my Radius deepmounts just wouldn't stay on the Odin. Force to switch to Symbio Ns. Still can't beat the QDC fit yet, but close.

Hero: I had some really high expectations for this, but I was let down. The whole DNA from Zeus and LX mention was an interesting premise, as was the mini-Odin mention. Both fell flat to me, the Hero has a different tuning than Odin and feels more of a mini-Zeus than anything. Ultimately it feels like an unholy union of the best parts of LX and Odin and toned down quite a bit (Phantom vibes here), the faceplates are very interesting, I'm not sure if it was the pattern on the model I demoed, but they felt better looking at photograpy than the actual thing and kinda felt a bit cheap compared to the standard black the X and EP lines uses. Overall I'd rather get the Andromeda 2020 and feel that it holds it's spot in that price range.

Odin: On the other hand, I was quite cynical despite following the hype on the thread, especially with the implications that came with it. An interesting caveat needs to be made: The tuning of the Odin fits my preferences exactly, but it's still an impartial take same as all other demos. The first thing on my notes for this literally says "Empire did not make this, this is not theri house sound" , so a congratulations to Jack and Dean for making something that surprised the heck out of me. While Odin might not live up to the extremes of the hype being thrown, it does showcase the capabilites and technical know how of Empire in a very elegant manner. Given the driver count, I expected some coherency issues but none that I could pick up. Bass is extremely well done, dialed back from the LX but refined and no slouch, it's not bassheads level, but it'll satisified most that fall outside the category. Nice knowing that Empire can do bass the way I like it. The biggest issue was how smooth the treble sound, it was a "Eh, there's 4 estats here?" levels of Wraithy though it might just be speaking for how well the Valkyrie's single estat was done. Being one of those, "It's nice, but price is an objective" it makes it's way into the second spot of my top 3 (u12t, Odin, Z1R).

Interesting impressions. I really need to find some time to head up there.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #24,480 of 40,591
I sold my JH Audio Angie II universal due to it's large size. It would always be large even with custom tips. I have a custom Angie coming in a couple of weeks. :relaxed:
I am afraid in the long run I may end up needing to sell the universal Odin for the custom version if I can’t figure out a way to have the shell sit more comfortably in my small outer ear. I wonder if the custom shell would still be as large and not fit comfortably in my outer ear.
Still the music sounds so amazing with the Odin that I am still not giving up on trying to get the universal to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back