Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 28, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #24,438 of 40,560
Go for it... what's the worst that can happen!?
haha, yup. I'll be receiving a bespoke cable from Japan shortly. I can't wait to try it out this beast.
1598658097571.png

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #24,439 of 40,560
I honestly went in kind of expecting to be a little disappointed in their sound with all the hype these have been getting. However, so far I’m blown away by everything! You peeps, especially you CL14715, were and are not kidding! They are truly amazing!

The bass is amazing. I expected to be disappointed on that front as well coming from the Legend X and Tia Trio and Nio. Well I can say it’s perfect so far.

To me they seem to be a combination of the 3D like quality of the U12T with the bass (a little less) of the Legend X and closer to the Trios with nothing muddy at all like I hear with the Nios sometimes.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #24,440 of 40,560
I honestly went in kind of expecting to be a little disappointed in their sound with all the hype these have been getting. However, so far I’m blown away by everything! You peeps, especially you CL14715, were and are not kidding! They are truly amazing!

The bass is amazing. I expected to be disappointed on that front as well coming from the Legend X and Tia Trio and Nio. Well I can say it’s perfect so far.

To me they seem to be a combination of the 3D like quality of the U12T with the bass (a little less) of the Legend X and closer to the Trios with nothing muddy at all like I hear with the Nios sometimes.
I appreciate that. I honestly really believe in the hype I give the Odin. Some like to spread negativity but so far, that’s been the outlier, not my well deserved praise. Enjoy! They only get better.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #24,441 of 40,560

I was afraid I might fall into the same trap, lushing over how great the Odin is, but it really is a fabulous transducer! Dean used his considerable talents in tuning alchemy and came up with an overall presentation that is magical at times, certainly there are many “oh, wow” moments to be had. Great job to all at Empire for what I’m certain will be a landmark product. 👍🙏

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #24,442 of 40,560
The frequency separation on this thing is immense, treble/mid/bass are well defined to their own spaces.
Odin provides the extremely smooth, elegant treble while keeping the micro details and transparency.
The bass quality on Odin seems to be a mile ahead compared to erlkonig in terms of sub-bass production.
Just played for 5 mins after opening the 091/200 package but I smell the winner already.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #24,444 of 40,560
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #24,446 of 40,560
Has this changed? Can EE now accept STL files for CIEM?

From what I’ve heard, progress has been made there. But, with everything going on from Odin, to Hero, to the upcoming MKII’s, it’s been put on hold for the moment.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #24,447 of 40,560
The success of the Odin shows that it's possible to create something this good in the ~$2000 price range and supply it with a basic cable (looking at you, 64 Audio). Tone down the expensive marketing and packaging materials and premium faceplate (and I don't mean cheap, just less premium), and you can cut the price even further (while making the same profit). Hopefully this tech and tuning will now permeate downwards because I don't see why this level of sound should be reserved for $3000+ products and the few well heeled customers who can afford it when it can very easily be made more accessible. Just my 0.02 (in gold bullion).

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #24,448 of 40,560
I discovered something interesting, at least with my Odin: Resist the urge to seat the headphone fully into the ear canal. On many in-ears, a deeper seat is desired. I'm finding the bass tends to resolve much better (I can't emphasize this enough) with a shallower seating, at least on my ears. I have been using the Tennmak Turbo tips - I switched to Sedna's and a shallower seating and I'm getting a whole new bass experience. Much deeper and robust-- which was most definitely lacking on my first few auditions.

Play around with seating on these-- the Odin makes drastic changes with placement. A shallower insert also happens to be more comfortable-- though likely less isolating.

The tip of the Odin is a fatter diameter-- not all tips will mount on them. I really had to work my widest tips onto the end of the IEM.

Tonality has taken a dramatic turn for the better since the adjustment.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #24,449 of 40,560
I discovered something interesting, at least with my Odin: Resist the urge to seat the headphone fully into the ear canal. On many in-ears, a deeper seat is desired. I'm finding the bass tends to resolve much better (I can't emphasize this enough) with a shallower seating, at least on my ears. I have been using the Tennmak Turbo tips - I switched to Sedna's and a shallower seating and I'm getting a whole new bass experience. Much deeper and robust-- which was most definitely lacking on my first few auditions.

Play around with seating on these-- the Odin makes drastic changes with placement. A shallower insert also happens to be more comfortable-- though likely less isolating.

The tip of the Odin is a fatter diameter-- not all tips will mount on them. I really had to work my widest tips onto the end of the IEM.
I'm glad other people are discovering the joys of shallow insert. I've always preferred it. Hate anything shoved into my ear canals. That's why I love the Xelastec tips, because you can get an amazing seal with full isolation with a shallow insert. And yes bass is better this way too.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #24,450 of 40,560

That's something that some see as an advantage for UIEMs, while others see it as a flaw reliability-wise. While I personally prefer customs because they can only go in (and therefore, sound) one way, I do appreciate how much you can tune a universal's sound through stuff like placement. I also prefer the Wraith's sound when it's sitting slightly out, which adds spaciousness and balances out the mids and treble a tad more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back