Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #23,266 of 40,577
Sorry I've been gone for a few days. Daughter had a years in the making upper and lower jaw reconstruction on Friday and came home Saturday late afternoon. Her BF is here taking care of her (they are 24 and live in NH and I live in CT where the surgery was performed as this team was assembled when she was in HS). Then a few hours after she got home, my wife fainted and convulsed. Not pretty. She rested in bed all day on Saturday and said she was dizzy, but would go to dr on Monday morning. then around 10pm, she was in bed and had another 15 sec episode. I called 911 and she had ANOTHER one a few minutes later. I got home at 3am from the ED. She was admitted and had a pacemaker installed yesterday morning and came back home around dinner time.

I've been listening during waiting spells etc... I can promise you that they need a min 50 hours to really start breaking in. The detail keeps on coming. I'm hearing things that I only hear in my home system, which is amazing as my system has gobs of micro and macro detail. To me, that's where the emotion of the music is. I often miss the emotion using can's or IEM's. Even TOTL cans doesn't give that to me most of the time. Often I blame it on the DAP.

I believe the Odin ratchets everything up. the new sub adn the estat extend properly. Nothing overshadows the other. To get three different technologies to play at the same speeds and volumes without bleeding into each other is surreal. Very few would be able to pull this off. If they could, they would have already. Kudo's to Dean. I REALLY needed these this last 72 hours or so.

What an awful rollercoaster ride of a weekend! My heart goes out to you and your family, and I wish you all a speedy recovery, both from the medical things and the associated emotional turmoil. :anguished:
Glad you have the Odin to help you along in these tough times! All the best :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #23,267 of 40,577
Tested it with the Cayin N6II / E02 today at Zepp, no hissing at all. Could there be something wrong? We had the luxury of listening to the set up and whoever heard it were just blown away. Absolutely beautiful staging, dead silent between notes and the layers were refined without losing dynamics. We were testing Pirates of the Caribbean track 07- "Barbossa is Hungry". Perhaps lower the gain setting? Synergy was spectacular, and we were just thinking of writing a post up on it and chanced upon this. Hmmm.

Anyway, thank you, Empire Ears for making 2020 lit — the way it should have been. @Jack Vang

Stay safe, everyone!

@Kristy Song Can't wait for my Odin to arrive from Zep! Great customer service as usual! :L3000:

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #23,268 of 40,577
Thanks Taron. I highly encourage anyone that wants Odin or Hero to order now as numerous dealers have already sold their entire lot and the next batch won't hit until sometime in September. Demand has far exceeded our expectations and we've already begun planning for the next several batches that'll have us knees deep in production until the end of the year. We're extremely grateful and humbled by all the love and support. Thank you!

Speaking of which, saw earlier this morning an email from Musicteck about them becoming authorized dealer of EE and also having Odin and Hero founders edition for sale. I didn't realize Hero was also released in a limited founders edition.

@ctsooner22 : Pete, so sorry to hear about what happened. Hope everybody is doing better now.

@jwbrent : As I mentioned in my review, N6ii w/E02 is an exception and the waterfall type of hissing with Odin is mild, not as pronounced at louder listening volume level. You can hear it when idling/pause, or in a quiet passages of songs at lower listening level, like in first 30s of instrumental intro of Agnes Obel "The curse". It's not that bad, but this very low level waterfall type of hissing is there, while I hardly detect it with any other DAP. Of course, we all have a different hearing level and sensitivity to the sound. And in this particular pair up, E02 has a high power Class AB balanced amplifier output. A very easy "fix" here is to go single ended by using custom DDHIFI DJ30A adapter but you will also need to use single ended adapter for PWA stock cable in this case. Again, this is an exception for this particular E02 amp card.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #23,269 of 40,577
@jwbrent : As I mentioned in my review, N6ii w/E02 is an exception and the waterfall type of hissing with Odin is mild, not as pronounced at louder listening volume level. You can hear it when idling/pause, or in a quiet passages of songs at lower listening level, like in first 30s of instrumental intro of Agnes Obel "The curse". It's not that bad, but this very low level waterfall type of hissing is there, while I hardly detect it with any other DAP. Of course, we all have a different hearing level and sensitivity to the sound. And in this particular pair up, E02 has a high power Class AB balanced amplifier output. A very easy "fix" here is to go single ended by using custom DDHIFI DJ30A adapter but you will also need to use single ended adapter for PWA stock cable in this case. Again, this is an exception for this particular E02 amp card.

Thank you for reminding me of your experience with any hiss on the Odin. I’ve never owned such a low impedance IEM, so this will be a new venture for me. I’m going to be using my AK240 Stainless Steel, so I hope for a good matchup.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #23,270 of 40,577
yesss, good work @gnahra , we need to keep bringing up a potential Legend X with W9+, eventually he has to make one....right? :frowning2: :)

would be hyped af for something like this, those W9s are something special

So far though, the two W9+ equipped IEMs we've heard about (Odin & Hero) seem to have their W9's tuned slightly differently than Legend X. I can't imagine a Legend X without that "legend"-ary rumble.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #23,271 of 40,577
I will be particularly interested in the impressions of the Hero. I have heard it referred to as aggressive and wondering if that means a lot of treble energy and "etched" sound.
Negative :sweat:

Thanks Taron. I highly encourage anyone that wants Odin or Hero to order now as numerous dealers have already sold their entire lot and the next batch won't hit until sometime in September. Demand has far exceeded our expectations and we've already begun planning for the next several batches that'll have us knees deep in production until the end of the year. We're extremely grateful and humbled by all the love and support. Thank you!

Sending positive vibes bro. Family first.

Thanks to all for well wishes. Yes, glad I have the Odins. Makes a huge difference. No hiss for me. I do have that click from woofers when seating them. No big deal for me.

I rarely even think about what it’s doing right. I just get lost in the music. That says it all to me. Rumble when it’s in the production,but nothing added

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #23,272 of 40,577
So far though, the two W9+ equipped IEMs we've heard about (Odin & Hero) seem to have their W9's tuned slightly differently than Legend X. I can't imagine a Legend X without that "legend"-ary rumble.
Right, but I think the key word is "tuned," as you said yourself. I assume that EE could update the LX with the new W9+ drivers, tune them to retain the rumble the LX is known for, and perhaps still incorporate the benefits of the new drivers.
In any case, while I'm disappointed to know there are no plans to update the LX, @Jack Vang and the crew at EE have their reasoning and of course I respect that.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #23,273 of 40,577
Sorry I've been gone for a few days. Daughter had a years in the making upper and lower jaw reconstruction on Friday and came home Saturday late afternoon. Her BF is here taking care of her (they are 24 and live in NH and I live in CT where the surgery was performed as this team was assembled when she was in HS). Then a few hours after she got home, my wife fainted and convulsed. Not pretty. She rested in bed all day on Saturday and said she was dizzy, but would go to dr on Monday morning. then around 10pm, she was in bed and had another 15 sec episode. I called 911 and she had ANOTHER one a few minutes later. I got home at 3am from the ED. She was admitted and had a pacemaker installed yesterday morning and came back home around dinner time.

I've been listening during waiting spells etc... I can promise you that they need a min 50 hours to really start breaking in. The detail keeps on coming. I'm hearing things that I only hear in my home system, which is amazing as my system has gobs of micro and macro detail. To me, that's where the emotion of the music is. I often miss the emotion using can's or IEM's. Even TOTL cans doesn't give that to me most of the time. Often I blame it on the DAP.

I believe the Odin ratchets everything up. the new sub adn the estat extend properly. Nothing overshadows the other. To get three different technologies to play at the same speeds and volumes without bleeding into each other is surreal. Very few would be able to pull this off. If they could, they would have already. Kudo's to Dean. I REALLY needed these this last 72 hours or so.
All my best to you and your family. Hopefully now Everyone will get better.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #23,274 of 40,577

My well-wishes to you and your family, Pete. Godspeed. :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #23,275 of 40,577
Tested it with the Cayin N6II / E02 today at Zepp, no hissing at all. Could there be something wrong? We had the luxury of listening to the set up and whoever heard it were just blown away. Absolutely beautiful staging, dead silent between notes and the layers were refined without losing dynamics. We were testing Pirates of the Caribbean track 07- "Barbossa is Hungry". Perhaps lower the gain setting? Synergy was spectacular, and we were just thinking of writing a post up on it and chanced upon this. Hmmm.

Anyway, thank you, Empire Ears for making 2020 lit — the way it should have been. @Jack Vang

Stay safe, everyone!
Was the blown away and spectacular synergy in regard to pairing up the Odin with N6ii w/E02 or with other DAPs? If it is the N6ii w/E02 then I am back to being excited about the Odin again 😀

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #23,276 of 40,577
I will be particularly interested in the impressions of the Hero. I have heard it referred to as aggressive and wondering if that means a lot of treble energy and "etched" sound.
Well I just arrived. I’ll be there tomorrow to give the big boys a test run... in addition to some others that I’ve always been curious about. Stay tuned 😬

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #23,277 of 40,577
Well I just arrived. I’ll be there tomorrow to give the big boys a test run... in addition to some others that I’ve always been curious about. Stay tuned 😬

@Jack Vang let this man buy whatever he likes tomorrow, he took a 9-hour trip to come to you - this is LOVE

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #23,280 of 40,577

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both your daughter and wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back