Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #23,251 of 40,577
Sensitivity has a lot to do with it. The Valkyrie are 3 ohm but have sensitivity something like 96db per mW which makes them harder to power. Typically low Ohm IEM’s with high sensitivity are the problem children with hissing.

Sensitivity is 108dB on the Odin.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #23,252 of 40,577
Imagine what happens if people here listen to Odin and they say something like 'it is better than Erlky'

Mayhem (in your pockets).

btw , August has been 'Kickass old-school funk' month, and this cat is killing it , fantastic compilation from a true funk LEGEND

If you can buy the CD do it , sounds amazing (Rhino 2001 cd)

Full album in link below

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #23,253 of 40,577
@Jack Vang I think someone (may have been me!?) asked about an LX MKII...and you said nothing was in the works, which makes complete sense as I was thinking earlier today that all the MKIIs have estats.
So, was wondering about something slightly different - any plans to "update" the LX with the new W9+ DDs?

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #23,254 of 40,577
Headphones.com Odin page says " "3 units in stock. Ready to be shipped." True? No wait till 1st September?

These are the remaining Founders Editions that will be available for the September 1st launch through us. Unless EE says otherwise, the Odin and Hero will be shipping from dealers on September 1st.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #23,255 of 40,577
Imagine what happens if people here listen to Odin and they say something like 'it is better than Erlky'

Mayhem (in your pockets).

btw , August has been 'Kickass old-school funk' month, and this cat is killing it , fantastic compilation from a true funk LEGEND

If you can buy the CD do it , sounds amazing (Rhino 2001 cd)

Full album in link below

Once you get to a certain level (like that of the thummim, erl, Elysium etc etc) it starts becoming more about different than flat out better. Every now and then we have cases where an IEM is pretty much a direct upgrade on another (for example elysium vs katana) but that’s relatively rare imo

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #23,256 of 40,577
Sorry I've been gone for a few days. Daughter had a years in the making upper and lower jaw reconstruction on Friday and came home Saturday late afternoon. Her BF is here taking care of her (they are 24 and live in NH and I live in CT where the surgery was performed as this team was assembled when she was in HS). Then a few hours after she got home, my wife fainted and convulsed. Not pretty. She rested in bed all day on Saturday and said she was dizzy, but would go to dr on Monday morning. then around 10pm, she was in bed and had another 15 sec episode. I called 911 and she had ANOTHER one a few minutes later. I got home at 3am from the ED. She was admitted and had a pacemaker installed yesterday morning and came back home around dinner time.

I've been listening during waiting spells etc... I can promise you that they need a min 50 hours to really start breaking in. The detail keeps on coming. I'm hearing things that I only hear in my home system, which is amazing as my system has gobs of micro and macro detail. To me, that's where the emotion of the music is. I often miss the emotion using can's or IEM's. Even TOTL cans doesn't give that to me most of the time. Often I blame it on the DAP.

I believe the Odin ratchets everything up. the new sub adn the estat extend properly. Nothing overshadows the other. To get three different technologies to play at the same speeds and volumes without bleeding into each other is surreal. Very few would be able to pull this off. If they could, they would have already. Kudo's to Dean. I REALLY needed these this last 72 hours or so.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #23,258 of 40,577
Sorry I've been gone for a few days. Daughter had a years in the making upper and lower jaw reconstruction on Friday and came home Saturday late afternoon. Her BF is here taking care of her (they are 24 and live in NH and I live in CT where the surgery was performed as this team was assembled when she was in HS). Then a few hours after she got home, my wife fainted and convulsed. Not pretty. She rested in bed all day on Saturday and said she was dizzy, but would go to dr on Monday morning. then around 10pm, she was in bed and had another 15 sec episode. I called 911 and she had ANOTHER one a few minutes later. I got home at 3am from the ED. She was admitted and had a pacemaker installed yesterday morning and came back home around dinner time.

I've been listening during waiting spells etc... I can promise you that they need a min 50 hours to really start breaking in. The detail keeps on coming. I'm hearing things that I only hear in my home system, which is amazing as my system has gobs of micro and macro detail. To me, that's where the emotion of the music is. I often miss the emotion using can's or IEM's. Even TOTL cans doesn't give that to me most of the time. Often I blame it on the DAP.

I believe the Odin ratchets everything up. the new sub adn the estat extend properly. Nothing overshadows the other. To get three different technologies to play at the same speeds and volumes without bleeding into each other is surreal. Very few would be able to pull this off. If they could, they would have already. Kudo's to Dean. I REALLY needed these this last 72 hours or so.

Cannot imagine or understand what you must be going through. Please Stay strong.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #23,259 of 40,577
I'm leaving Florida tomorrow to drive to Georgia (9 hours) to listen to the Hero and Odin. I'll report back on Thursday while I make the lady drive us home. Plenty of time to gather my thoughts.
I will be particularly interested in the impressions of the Hero. I have heard it referred to as aggressive and wondering if that means a lot of treble energy and "etched" sound.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #23,261 of 40,577

Family is more important than music. Glad to hear that they found what was causing your wife's issues. Also glad to see your daughter is on the mend.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #23,262 of 40,577
Good review. I was sad to see that with the source pair up, the Cayin N6ii / E02 was the only Dap that had some hissing. Was this hissing very noticeable and did it only occur between tracks? I guess I’m trying to gauge whether pairing the Odin with the N6ii / E02 is a deal breaker or not.

Tested it with the Cayin N6II / E02 today at Zepp, no hissing at all. Could there be something wrong? We had the luxury of listening to the set up and whoever heard it were just blown away. Absolutely beautiful staging, dead silent between notes and the layers were refined without losing dynamics. We were testing Pirates of the Caribbean track 07- "Barbossa is Hungry". Perhaps lower the gain setting? Synergy was spectacular, and we were just thinking of writing a post up on it and chanced upon this. Hmmm.

Anyway, thank you, Empire Ears for making 2020 lit — the way it should have been. @Jack Vang

Stay safe, everyone!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #23,263 of 40,577
Tested it with the Cayin N6II / E02 today at Zepp, no hissing at all. Could there be something wrong? We had the luxury of listening to the set up and whoever heard it were just blown away. Absolutely beautiful staging, dead silent between notes and the layers were refined without losing dynamics. We were testing Pirates of the Caribbean track 07- "Barbossa is Hungry". Perhaps lower the gain setting? Synergy was spectacular, and we were just thinking of writing a post up on it and chanced upon this. Hmmm.

Good to know. With the Odin’s 3 ohm impedance and 108dB sensitivity, I was wondering if hiss would be an issue. Fortunately, both my daps have very low output impedance specs.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #23,264 of 40,577
@Jack Vang I think someone (may have been me!?) asked about an LX MKII...and you said nothing was in the works, which makes complete sense as I was thinking earlier today that all the MKIIs have estats.
So, was wondering about something slightly different - any plans to "update" the LX with the new W9+ DDs?

Thanks!

Negative :sweat:

These are the remaining Founders Editions that will be available for the September 1st launch through us. Unless EE says otherwise, the Odin and Hero will be shipping from dealers on September 1st.

Thanks Taron. I highly encourage anyone that wants Odin or Hero to order now as numerous dealers have already sold their entire lot and the next batch won't hit until sometime in September. Demand has far exceeded our expectations and we've already begun planning for the next several batches that'll have us knees deep in production until the end of the year. We're extremely grateful and humbled by all the love and support. Thank you!

Sending positive vibes bro. Family first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back