Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #20,851 of 40,577
The Valkyrie with its single EST does treble better than the Wraith imo... and seems a lot of people feel the same. But that could be due to my source and a whole lot of other factors. The universal shell doesn't fit me very well and they don't come in customs so I just didn't spend a whole lot of time with them.

It's fun how EE has managed to take me on a ride from more drivers = better with the Zeus to driver count doesn't matter, it's about how you implement them, with the Valks. Both are some of my favourite IEMs of all time.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #20,852 of 40,577
Nw-A105 may haven't enough power to drive Nemesis / Valkyrie / Vantage well. W9 need power ,and otherwise it gets sloppy. In my opinion nemesis are what you are looking for. They have the most extended treble , fast and strong bass, and very good mids but like I said nw a105 may be bot strong enought . Vantage may be too dense in mid bass/ lower mids

Hmm I was afraid so. I have a cheap Fiio portable amp somewhere, but it's clunky to use. I'd much prefer an Android DAP, but the Sony is the only one which I can justify price-wise. Dragonflys are also pretty clunky, but if I need that to run it, I guess I'd bite the bullet.

Quick word of caution on this...I tried to drive a Valk from a DF Cobalt and it was a no-go. Valk's impedance of 3ohms doesn't jive with the Cobalt (since flipped from the Cobalt to a proper DAP - no problems with the Valk). Not sure what dongle DAC you have, @Metalomaniac but consider yourself warned! :)

I've been considering a DF as an alternative to a DAP so I could still use Spotify. Would Dragonfly Red have enough power for that?

Itsfitlab Fusion

Haven't heard of those. Look really nice. Are they easy to drive?

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #20,853 of 40,577
I've been considering a DF as an alternative to a DAP so I could still use Spotify. Would Dragonfly Red have enough power for that?
I have a Red also. It was better than the Cobalt, but I would probably caution against it; even though it worked, I’d guess the Valk is bumping up against the limits of the Red (but I am guessing). You may want to check with Audioquest directly to see if the Red can power the Valk.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #20,854 of 40,577
Wonder if there're more impressions of the Wraith? There are quite a lot to read about the Valkyrie but not so much about the Wraith. Anyone who had tried can chime in a bit?
I've actually tried the Wraith's quite a lot of times, and it's something I keep coming back to listen to, Just yesterday I went to try them again and compared it to the KSE1500, JH Audio Layla, FitEar Monet 17. (I have also compared them to the IER-Z1R a few times since it's pretty much my current "ENDGAME" *which doesn't really exist in this hobby to a degree lol)
Not sure which of those you're familiar with (But it seems you have the FitEar MH335DW if that does sound like the Monet17's but with even more BASS and slightly better mid-mids then I'll give you a bit of comparison with that, but given I haven't heard the 335's at all please give my impressions with a pinch of salt.)

GRAB YOUR CRISPS OR POPCORN BECAUSE THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG ONE...you might want a drink or two as well :wink:

*I may actually copy and paste these comparisons in a review of all of the IEM's I have in my lair later on.

Vs. KSE1500 (Sources: FiiO M15/Onkyo DP-X1)
(This will be quite a thorough one since I was trying to make a decision which one I'd like to own so I was really trying my best to compare the two)

BASS - There's no question the bass on the KSE1500 has better sub-bass extension and much livelier mid-bass presence compared to the tighter but still deep reaching presence of bass coming from the Wraith. In terms of detail in bass tho I think they're quite even but with my inner basshead giving the KSE1500 quite a bit on an edge in that regard.

LOW-MID-MIDS - Okay now this is where these two are quite alike, like seriously their low-mids are quite similar to my ears, I guess if I have to really go into detail, I say the KSE1500 just renders this section a touch faster (This is most likely a characteristic of electrostatic drivers working.) Which gives guitars that much more accuracy and energy.
I do have to mention that the Wraith's have an almost flat mid-bass to low-mids and *slightly to mid-mids rendering (which to my ears help with instrument separation better. not to say the KSE1500 don't do it well, but it's just easier to my ears with Wraith's since the KSE1500's just have more excitement given it's slightly recessed mids.)

HIGH-MIDS - So this is where they differ and will come down to preference, I listen to music with a lot of Female vocals (especially higher register ones) and this is where both honestly shine to me, just different presentations, now both are quite forward with their vocals but a tad bit more on the Wraiths since I say the KSE1500s are quite bit more on the BITING BRIGHT V-Shape tonality, which I guess still helps with the higher vocal registry of female vocals I listen to, so here's the difference, if you like vocals to be more intimate and in punch you in the face type of feeling, WRAITHS!!! is the clear winner, the way it sings to my ears is just so soothing and smooth, like butter with maple syrup smooth (I clearly couldn't get enough of this voicing lol). On the other hand my lord, KSE1500's vocals are just soooo airy and well spaced, like it's honestly you're at a opera theatre and you're in the best seat there is acoustic wise. It doesn't render it like that all the time tho, there were instances like listening to Japanese All-Girl Rock Band SCANDAL where their vocals just sounded RAW like how they intended it to. I say it follows more on how the music was produced while the Wraiths really give you that indie band phase of vocals where you're there in the front row of your favourite band's early stages in their career where you can almost taste their sweat...okay that was a bit much but you know what I mean lol

HIGHS - NO CONTEST HERE... The KSE1500 is just amazing in the highs handsdown, as I mentioned earlier it's BITINGLY BRIGHT AF, (Not sibilant tho but foam tips definitely help control that a bit if you're on the sensitive side.) man the highs on these beauties are just accurate and speedy, like there's no doubt in my mind that these produce the best and most detailed highs I've ever heard in an IEM and could honestly rival that of actual CANS *yes I said it, fight me...I kid, I can't fight. In all honestly the Wraiths still have amazing highs and detail retrieval is still very high and probably only comes second to the IER-Z1R's dynamic driver for highs. But even the mighty Z1R's dynamic tweeter is no match for the true electrostatic highs the KSE1500 give. It's just so out there and you cannot not notice it as it *SLAPS you in the face. So if you're into that almost HD800 series highs and spaciousness in the highs you'll like the KSE1500 but if you like that pancake with butter and lots of maple syrup smooth, no contest, the WRAITHs it is.

Overall I'm gearing towards the darker signature of the Wraiths since it complements my IER-Z1R when I wanna just relax and listen for quite a long while. the IER-Z1R's fist pumping fun slight v-shape can still get quite fatiguing after a long listening session, so I'm sure the brighter V-Shape of the KSE1500 would definitely wear me out fast. But man, if I was in a more analytical mood, I'm sure I'd want to have the KSE1500.

Vs. IER-Z1R (Sources: Fiio M11Pro/Onkyo DP-X1/FiiO M15 - These were the DAPs I've tried with these two; was trying to decide which to upgrade to M11P or M15 since my IER-Z1R are a bit power hungry)

BASS - Uhh...bass...where do I start...Ah just like with the KSE1500 there's no contest here, IER-Z1R just has the most organic and pleasant sounding bass to my ears. (I honestly can't wait and see what EE does with Project ODIN when it comes out. That might make me hold off on lusting over the Wraiths, because if it'll have the mid and vocal presentation of the Wraiths with the ass kicking bass of the Legend X (But a bit more controlled please lol like the IER-Z1R bass, if it nails that and a bit more excitement but not much in the Highs then that's gonna be a god-tier IEM because honestly if the IER-Z1R just had a bit more of the intimacy of the Wraith's midrange, the Z1R's would've been a god killer IEM.) But then again, I'm still a fan of the smooth but tight bass of the Wraiths.

LOW-MID-MIDS - Where the Wraiths lose on Bass presence, they absolutely kill the Z1Rs in mids. It's not that the latter lacks it, it's just feels a bit farther in the mix while the former just lays it out in the open.

HIGH-MIDS - Just like with the KSE1500, the IER-Z1R's just have a more airy and spacious rendering of this spectrum, so like what I said in the Shure comparison it'll be up to your preference whether you like the more spacious theatre sound or the raw and intimate sound of a livehouse. (That's how I'd put it.)

HIGHS - I say the Sony's have a unique high rendering due to the dynamic driver used and it really converted me into an avid believer of dynamic drivers for highs. It just has more THICCness and body to it compared to the Buttery with Maple Syrup smooth highs the EE's have.

Overall these two are just almost polar opposites which could really complement each other.(Well at least for me they do lol) One is mid-centric-ish dark tonality while the other is a slight v-shape sounding.

Vs. Layla Carbon Fibre Ver. 1 (Sources: Onkyo DP-X1/FiiO M15 honestly on both of these, FiiO M15 didn't really do much to add to the two IEM's I even think the DP-X1 on Balanced A.C.G. mode is an amazing partner to the sensitive Wraiths)

BASS - Layla has a trick here so it's up to your preference where you wanna put clock in your bass. I usually go from 11 to 2 O'clock on the bass dial but recently I've been really liking it with a custom made copper cable clocked in at 11 without the bass dial. With that said, they're quite similar with bass response in that setting with a bit more oomph from the Layla's but then again you can add much more bass to your liking with the Laylas to have more of an OOMPH instead. In terms of detail tho, I have to hand it to the Wraith for detail retrieval down low, it just outclasses the Layla's in that regard.

LOW-MID-MIDS - I mentioned earlier that the Wraith's Mid-bass to Mids were almost flat, well the Layla's at this setting is pretty much flat. This actually gives it a slight edge in emotion on delivering low to mid sounding male vocals, guitars, sax, cello, etc.. (pretty much instruments that fall within this spectrum), but again while it gives more thiccness and emotions, the Wraiths just outclasses it in presentation, clarity, separation, and detail. and oh SPACE, did I mention space? I honestly thought before that the Layla were already so spacious but with listening to the Z1R and the Wraiths it's honestly outdone by now, the Layla V1's I have been around since 2014 so it's been 4-5 year gap and with how technology is, that's just a lot of time for others to catch up or outclass you. I honestly don't think even the newest AION series version of the Layla is that much better and still with that price, It's a hard pill to swallow. Tho I may change my mind when I hear it. But that's a separate debate.

HIGH-MIDS - When the Layla's came out, I thought they already overthrown the FitEar 334 series to me in terms of emotion and delivery of female vocals but here we are with the Wraiths...some may disagree but with my ears, I honestly think the Wraiths just have this magical delivery and intimacy to the female vocals, that others just can't touch. (maybe some of the newer FitEars could change my mind, but it's kinda hard to try them out here in Canada.) Nonetheless, the Layla's vocals are still very much my cup of tea.

HIGHS - so the highs...with the stock cable the Layla's highs are just muted and dull in comparison, but with my custom cables, it gave it quite a bit more shine especially given at the 11 o'clock setting everything under 1kHz is pretty much flat it gives a bit more love to the highs but even then the smoother but detailed highs on the Wraiths, really give it better detail retrieval and resolution. It's way easier to pick up things you might've missed in songs with the Wraiths than on the Laylas.

Overall the Layla's will always have a place in my ears since it was my first "Summit-Fi" level IEMs back in 2014. And man, people think the IER-Z1Rs and Wraiths are big? the first version of the Layla's are HUGE!! but then again, I have fairly big and deep conchas so these IEMs don't really bother me and I still get really good and deep seals.

Vs. FitEar Monet17 (Sources: Onkyo DP-X1/FiiO M15) (This will be of the most interest for you I guess lol)

BASS - I don't know how Suyama-san did it, but it's one of the closest dynamic bass sound I've ever heard in a B.A. as of yet. It really has a good amount of sub-bass to mid-bass attack and it really is suited for more Anime/Japanese/K-Pop centric songs. The delivery is quite something, but not a lot of people will like. (Your MH335DW is quite similar to this actually, probably just a touch less attack.) The Wraiths in comparison goes for a smoother delivery, and just gives you just right to say *ahh there it is...I thought I missed you*. If you're after a more fun bass attack like your 335, you won't like the Wraith's bass. But nonetheless the Wraiths are just smooth and light in the bass section compared to the heavy attacks of the Monet17.

LOW-MID-MIDS - I have to say the FitEars give a bit more body to male vocals and electric guitars (considering this was tuned for 90's Anime music I understand that delivery.)
These IEM really are made for music listening enjoyment while the Wraiths are really more on the musicality but analytical audiophile tuning approach. You should be familiar with this too since I think the 335's render the same way. And compared to your 335's tho the Monet17 do lack a bit of bite on the mid-mids, so instruments like pianos and violins and even female vocals lose a bit of body but they do retain air for harmonics these produce. (This was most likely done so there wouldn't be sibilance since Anime music from that era could be pretty harsh.)

HIGH-MIDS - FitEar high-mids used to be my favourite among IEM's but the EE have really outdone themselves with the tuning of the Wraiths. These are now by far my favourite high-mids followed by the IER-Z1R. The FitEars do give a lot more air to the harmonics of female vocals and violins, (Again most likely a characteristic given that these are tuned for Anime music that has a lot of higher pitched female vocals.) *Compared to your 335 it should be about the same tonality again, but I think the Monet17's just have a bit more attack in the higher registry of female vocals.

HIGHS - Now these are again where it might seem the Wraiths lacking some attack, but it's just a given since its tonality is more on the smoother end while the FitEars and the other IEMs on this comparison just (excluding the Laylas as I think the Wraiths are just an evolved sound of the Laylas but just a tad more smoother) have more exciting sounding highs. So pretty much Woodwind instruments and Percussion have way more bite and emphasis on this end of the spectrum. *Compared to your 335's the Monet17 just sounds brighter in comparison.

Overall the Monet17 tonality isn't for everyone, but if you're into Anime music or Japanese indie rock music as well as K-Pop these are actually a pretty good fit. While the Wraiths are really a better all-rounder in that regard. It can handle anything you throw at it and you won't get tired after longer listening sessions.

I hope that wasn't too bad of read lol

My first time finally chiming in rather than just passing by the shadows and going through what people say.
I guess that's just confidence finally kicking in after 12 years of being in this hobby.

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #20,855 of 40,577
Looking to upgrade my FLC 8s. Any thoughts on the mid-range universal models, Vantage, Nemesis and Valkyrie? Also considering Meze's Rai Penta.

I mostly listen to classic/death/melodic/progressive metal, hard rock, classic rock and blues. I listen on the go (if the lockdowns are ever lifted...), and I like solid, but not overpowering bass. My sources are either a smartphone with a dongle DAC, or I might get a Sony NW-A105 Android DAP.

Valkyrie sounds like it's hard to drive so might not be a good fit with my gear. Nemesis seems like a good fit to my gear and music tastes based on reviews. Haven't found any proper reviews of Vantage.

My friend and I demoed the whole EE X-series line-up at London CanJam last year.
After a LOT of listening, I decided the Nemesis was the one for me.

I felt the Vantage was good, but it didn't wow me. Conversely, my friend absolutely loved the it :)
He said it had something of the sound of a vintage amp.

So I'm thinking that since you've commented that you like classic rock and blues (amongst other things), then the Vantage could be worth a try.

I listened to these all on an iBasso DX220 DAP at the time. I can't comment on whether the Valkyrie is hard to drive, but I would find it a bit surprising if that were true.

I think a key factor here is going to be how you like the presentation of highs.

As @Barra mentioned in his excellent review of the Valkyrie recently, the highs of the Valkyrie will take some getting used to (but you may become addicted once you do!).
I'm a little bit treble sensitive, and based on a demo at CanJam, I found the Valkyrie to be surprisingly bright, with a kind of huge, open stage.
I was wondering whether I might find it fatiguing, but based on Barra's review, I'd want to listen to them for at least a week to let myself adjust before making any judgements regarding that.
The bass is not as hardcore as the rest of the X-series line-up (except for Bravado, since that and the Valkyrie have only one WeaponX driver).
The sound signature overall is very energetic.
So in summary, it gives something of a stadium feel perhaps; high energy, big space, powerful lows and soaring highs.

Vantage is more of an intimate, organic sound (I don't own it and don't remember it precisely, so take this impression with a grain of salt), warm and powerful.
I'm guessing my friend's description of it as being like an old vintage amp is probably pretty accurate.
This would be the cheapest of the options, and may work well for you based on your musical tastes.

I received loaner units of both Legend X and Nemesis to try at home for a couple of weeks, so have listened to them both quite a bit.
Nemesis has the most impactful bass of all the X-series line-up. Note that I say "impact", as opposed to presence.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily overbearing though (although I am something of a bass-head lol).
I made a point of listening to a huge variety of genres on both Nemesis and Legend X, including blues, rock and metal.
I found Legend X to have something of a mid-bass hump in the tuning, which meant that the bass, for me, was kind of 'always on', in any song or genre.
With some of them, it worked fantastically, with others, not so much.

Conversely, with Nemesis, the mid-bass seems to be differently tuned, without that 'hump' and I rarely - if ever - found it intrusive or muddying with a song.
Nemesis is a bit more warm and engaging for me than the Legend X, but not as warm as the Vantage.

Note also that all of these IEMs - especially the Valkyrie - seem to respond well to different cable choices, allowing you to tweak the sound to your liking if you wish to go down that route.

Finally, I'd add that you have the FLC 8s, and if I recall correctly, that gives you a pretty huge range of ways to customise the sound signature.
So perhaps you could play around with the options to model something that sounds like each of the sound signatures I've described, to get an idea about which works best for your tastes?

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #20,856 of 40,577
I have a Red also. It was better than the Cobalt, but I would probably caution against it; even though it worked, I’d guess the Valk is bumping up against the limits of the Red (but I am guessing). You may want to check with Audioquest directly to see if the Red can power the Valk.

Lotoo are coming out at some point soon I think with a similar product, the S1. However, I think it might be significantly more powerful and/or higher quality audio than those options. There were specs posted somewhere I think, but I can't remember offhand. Maybe someone else can comment?

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #20,857 of 40,577
there is a Universal Zeus Massdrop for sale now for 600$

imho ,a BARGAIN.

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #20,858 of 40,577
$600 for Zeus sounds enticing as well, I thought that would cost three times that which would be well above my budget? How easy are the Zeus to drive?

I think a key factor here is going to be how you like the presentation of highs.

As @Barra mentioned in his excellent review of the Valkyrie recently, the highs of the Valkyrie will take some getting used to (but you may become addicted once you do!).
I'm a little bit treble sensitive, and based on a demo at CanJam, I found the Valkyrie to be surprisingly bright, with a kind of huge, open stage.
I was wondering whether I might find it fatiguing, but based on Barra's review, I'd want to listen to them for at least a week to let myself adjust before making any judgements regarding that.
The bass is not as hardcore as the rest of the X-series line-up (except for Bravado, since that and the Valkyrie have only one WeaponX driver).
The sound signature overall is very energetic.
So in summary, it gives something of a stadium feel perhaps; high energy, big space, powerful lows and soaring highs....
Finally, I'd add that you have the FLC 8s, and if I recall correctly, that gives you a pretty huge range of ways to customise the sound signature.
So perhaps you could play around with the options to model something that sounds like each of the sound signatures I've described, to get an idea about which works best for your tastes?

Thanks for this, though not sure if this was helpful as it makes the choices harder :)

I'm a bit high frequency sensitive as well. I took a lot of time to tune the FLC 8s, and I've kept it at red (most bass), gold (most mids) and grey (mid highs) ever since. So I don't think the Valk is a good fit for me.

Nemesis sounds like the best fit on paper, but your comments on Vantage sound good as well. Though not sure if a classic organic sound is the best fit for progressive modern metal, which I listen to quite a bit as well. Perhaps Nemesis would be a better all-rounder for my music tastes?

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #20,859 of 40,577
Happy to report that the ifi xcan drives the Valkyrie really well!

Also, I must be in the minority but I think I prefer the Valkyrie with AresII rather than the ErosII.

F5264AFF-7C21-4157-AB87-5DB2F473426C.jpeg

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #20,860 of 40,577
Hey all, I currently have custom Phantoms, paired with an AK SP1000Cu and a Janus D cable. I listen almost exclusively to prog rock, prog metal, and metal, and find the Phantoms really excellent for these genres. I think they work well due to their balanced nature, good sound stage, and the thicker mids that tend to emphasize the toms and guitars. But, I'm looking to spice things up with second pair of EE customs, just so I can go back and forth when I feel like a change.

Is there another EE IEM that folks would consider a great pairing with the Phantom? Currently I'm looking at the Valkyrie and the Nemsis. I don't think I'll enjoy the LegendX as I'm not a basshead, and with the fast bass drumming in these genres it seems like the mid-bass bump will just become overwhelming.

Would love some thoughts!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #20,861 of 40,577
Hey all, I currently have custom Phantoms, paired with an AK SP1000Cu and a Janus D cable. I listen almost exclusively to prog rock, prog metal, and metal, and find the Phantoms really excellent for these genres. I think they work well due to their balanced nature, good sound stage, and the thicker mids that tend to emphasize the toms and guitars. But, I'm looking to spice things up with second pair of EE customs, just so I can go back and forth when I feel like a change.

Is there another EE IEM that folks would consider a great pairing with the Phantom? Currently I'm looking at the Valkyrie and the Nemsis. I don't think I'll enjoy the LegendX as I'm not a basshead, and with the fast bass drumming in these genres it seems like the mid-bass bump will just become overwhelming.

One thing I'd mention straight up (which I'm sure you already know) is that Phantom has a pretty unique tuning.

I always get a period of feeling disconcerted when I go from listening to the Phantom to any other IEM and vice versa.
Things just sound *wrong* until my brain adjusts to the different signature.

I suspect the differences between the Phantom and the Valkyrie will be much more pronounced than between Phantom and Nemesis.

I already posted earlier about my impressions of the Valkyrie, Nemesis and Vantage, so I won't repeat all that.

Again, if it's possible to demo them first, the I advise you to do that. EE to lend out loaner units, subject to a deposit etc.

Finally, I do think the Nemesis are amazing and you may well be fine with them in the end. But if you're concerned about having TOO much bass impact, then the Valkyrie only has 1 WeaponX dynamic driver, as opposed to 2 in the Nemesis and Vantage.
But the Bravado only has 1 as well, and I've heard some people here before using it as a second IEM to go with their other EE IEM, and being very happy with the setup.
So could be worth consideration, and it would only set you back $699 for a CIEM; a comparative bargain :)

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #20,862 of 40,577

Ζeus XR, or get the used universal that's around FS for 600$ and be done

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #20,863 of 40,577
Ζeus XR, or get the used universal that's around FS for 600$ and be done

I previously owned the Zeus-R and didn't find the bottom end full enough (at least, now compared with the Phantom).

It sounds like the Valk might be a good option as a sharp contrast from the Phantom, both offering different perspectives on the music.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #20,864 of 40,577
Hmm I was afraid so. I have a cheap Fiio portable amp somewhere, but it's clunky to use. I'd much prefer an Android DAP, but the Sony is the only one which I can justify price-wise. Dragonflys are also pretty clunky, but if I need that to run it, I guess I'd bite the bullet.

?
Hiby have got a sale on the r5 for $299 if that's any use? Available at Musictek.

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #20,865 of 40,577
I pulled the trigger on Nemesis! I talked to the customer rep, and he assured me that the X-series are easy to drive, and both Sony NW-A105 and DF Red would drive it.

Hiby have got a sale on the r5 for $299 if that's any use? Available at Musictek.

Oh, didn't know there are other manufacturers making Android players with fairly recent Android versions. Others than Sony are several Android versions old, so their longevity and security is questionable. Thanks, will check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back