Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 17, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #19,636 of 40,587
Thanks! I've been lucky enough not to need custom. LX universal fit me well, albeit little too large so it sticks out. I was considering Valkyrie but worried that it's still too much of a V FR.

Look back a few pages at the Valkyrie graph.. I think it would be too V for you. (also based on your comments in the Fearless thread)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #19,637 of 40,587
Look back a few pages at the Valkyrie graph.. I think it would be too V for you. (also based on your comments in the Fearless thread)
Thanks. I have, and that's when it occurred to me.
But there is one big difference that graph does not show: EST treble! LX trebble is not very forgiving unlike Fearless Roland, that has EST.
Valkyrie also has less bass. For some recordings more treble wouldn't hurt. And I cannot deny, LX bass is epic, just to much of it.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #19,638 of 40,587
If you don't like LX I don't think you'll like the Valkyrie. Yes Valkyrie has more energy up top, and the bass is less than LX, but still very potent/present (I have both and just my untrained guesstimate would be Valkyrie has 85-90% of the bass impact of LX). Don't buy without trying. If you're close to NYC, you should be able to audition at Audio46.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #19,639 of 40,587
i am very curious to see how these CIEMs are made from the ground up,esp, EE with multiple+ drivers

i found the headfi youtube video(from 2015 i think, very good one) and some dude making his own, but i would like even more detailed Infos in a video, like building a ship in a bottle this is, but a lot more complex

i would even like to see how the various drivers are built, or maybe that`s inside Infos they cant share?

Does anyone know of any good how its done videos for this?

It was interesting to learn that Alex van Halen got this ball rolling back in 95 because he did not want to blow his ears out from his live drum monitor

Cheers

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #19,640 of 40,587
Thanks! I've been lucky enough not to need custom. LX universal fit me well, albeit little too large so it sticks out. I was considering Valkyrie but worried that it's still too much of a V FR.

there are some universal Zeus XIV (massdrop edition) selling here for as low as 800$ (when the original Zeus sells for 2000$)

you may wanna try them out , ifyoulike them the price is fantastic for a TOTL iem , if not (worse case scenario) you simply resell them here for zero loss

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #19,641 of 40,587
there are some universal Zeus XIV (massdrop edition) selling here for as low as 800$ (when the original Zeus sells for 2000$)

you may wanna try them out , ifyoulike them the price is fantastic for a TOTL iem , if not (worse case scenario) you simply resell them here for zero loss
Thanks, I'm on Drop, so obviously it was on my radar. Its very very tempting. but 2 reasons, why it's not an option:
1. No more BA bass. 2. For a treble-head - trying EST treble is like trying crack cocaine - no going back to BA after that. That's why Valkyrie is still under consideration even with my affinity to flat FR:)

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #19,642 of 40,587
If you don't like LX I don't think you'll like the Valkyrie. Yes Valkyrie has more energy up top, and the bass is less than LX, but still very potent/present (I have both and just my untrained guesstimate would be Valkyrie has 85-90% of the bass impact of LX). Don't buy without trying. If you're close to NYC, you should be able to audition at Audio46.
I didn’t find the bass very potent at all. I think these iems are very different in overall tonal characteristics. You should 100% try them all before you buy them if you have the opportunity.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #19,643 of 40,587
i am very curious to see how these CIEMs are made from the ground up,esp, EE with multiple+ drivers

i found the headfi youtube video(from 2015 i think, very good one) and some dude making his own, but i would like even more detailed Infos in a video, like building a ship in a bottle this is, but a lot more complex

i would even like to see how the various drivers are built, or maybe that`s inside Infos they cant share?

Does anyone know of any good how its done videos for this?

It was interesting to learn that Alex van Halen got this ball rolling back in 95 because he did not want to blow his ears out from his live drum monitor

Cheers
They're not 3D printed, so... a mold is made from the impressions, and then resin is poured in, I suppose... adding and soldering and wiring all of the drivers crossover is done by hand by super-talented people; it seems incredibly difficult. The BAs aren't manufactured in-house; not sure about the W9 drivers (@ajyagle , @Devon Higgins ?). 3D printing would definitely be much easier, and is also easier to understand...

Also—if you schedule a visit with EE, you may be able to see the workspace!

edit: according to this, the W9 is manufactured in-house.

(though they may want to fix this typo!!)
They will not lie to you, they artificially amplify any segment of the frequency range and they will not fatigue your ears like other bass emphasis drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #19,644 of 40,587
Unrelated to that—does anybody get quite noticeable oxidation on their Ares II?

upload_2019-9-17_14-12-17.png

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #19,645 of 40,587

Wow...that's a couple month old cable, really said for this price. Concerned about mine now.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #19,646 of 40,587

This is not characteristic of the Ares. I've never seen this happen actually.
I'm reaching out to you now Ben.

Wow...that's a couple month old cable, really said for this price. Concerned about mine now.

Usually the cable will darken a little over time, but definitely not like this, this quickly, or even of this nature. It shouldn't be a concern, but if you have a something similar happen, reach out.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #19,647 of 40,587
I'm not too concerned; part of why I went with EE is that they seemed to go above and beyond to make sure people are happy. 20 minutes later, and everything's taken care of :)

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #19,648 of 40,587
That's a good Customer Service. We bought our LX around the same time, so I will keep an eye on mine. :)

Thanks @ajyagle . Really quick support is more than appreciated.

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #19,649 of 40,587
I made a question on a couple cable manufacturers about PVC being used as outer shield and it reacting to UV light and becoming rigid and brittle as I read a few people around here had this problem after around a year. The only one that answered was EA, saing to take care of the cable. :frowning2:

But UV light is basicly sunlight, so take care would be not walk around with yoir IEM?

So Kids, PVC reacts with UV light and have that in mind when buying cables. :)

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #19,650 of 40,587
They're not 3D printed, so... a mold is made from the impressions, and then resin is poured in, I suppose... adding and soldering and wiring all of the drivers crossover is done by hand by super-talented people; it seems incredibly difficult. The BAs aren't manufactured in-house; not sure about the W9 drivers (@ajyagle , @Devon Higgins ?). 3D printing would definitely be much easier, and is also easier to understand...

Also—if you schedule a visit with EE, you may be able to see the workspace!

edit: according to this, the W9 is manufactured in-house.

(though they may want to fix this typo!!)
Cheers mate

i m indeed every time i put my LX in my ears if the producing/engineering etc is properly done it can ofy be an out of the head experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back