Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #19,186 of 40,577
Its not an issue tbh. Now the upper mids....
"I don't find the treble rolled off on the Phantoms"; you quoted this as being from me, but it was SBranson who said it, not me. Regrettably, I don't yet own the Phantom :)
However, feel free to expand upon your findings regarding the upper mids? I'm curious now :p

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #19,187 of 40,577
"I don't find the treble rolled off on the Phantoms"; you quoted this as being from me, but it was SBranson who said it, not me. Regrettably, I don't yet own the Phantom :)
However, feel free to expand upon your findings regarding the upper mids? I'm curious now :p
Weird....I had seperate quotes when I posted....

Female vocals sounded very veiled, kinda like having a blanket around your head ears kinda feel. It just got to a certain point and just...stayed there even though you know they go beyond that range.

Ahh I somehow missed the closing ']' bracket. Fixed! I usually miss semicolons....

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #19,188 of 40,577
Weird....I had seperate quotes when I posted....

Female vocals sounded very veiled, kinda like having a blanket around your head ears kinda feel. It just got to a certain point and just...stayed there even though you know they go beyond that range.

Ahh I somehow missed the closing ']' bracket. Fixed! I usually miss semicolons....
I had the same feeling about the Phantoms; reading about them, I can see what people like, but having listened to them (very briefly, after demoing the Legend X) they just weren't for me. They sounded like... congested to me? That + the emphasis on more midbass while not having a ton of subbass (does anybody have transparent phantoms? I'd be curious to see the size of the bass BA) just made me feel like I wasn't hearing the whole picture, and I wasn't being excited.

Caveat: I only listened to them immediately after the Legend X, so that probably exaggerated the difference.

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #19,189 of 40,577
I had the same feeling about the Phantoms; reading about them, I can see what people like, but having listened to them (very briefly, after demoing the Legend X) they just weren't for me. They sounded like... congested to me? That + the emphasis on more midbass while not having a ton of subbass (does anybody have transparent phantoms? I'd be curious to see the size of the bass BA) just made me feel like I wasn't hearing the whole picture, and I wasn't being excited.

Caveat: I only listened to them immediately after the Legend X, so that probably exaggerated the difference.

I had the Legend X and Phantom on loan from Empire Ears and found it takes a while to appreciate the Phantom sound. I did not like it at first, but liked it after extended listening. Still bought the Legend X, but plan to buy the Phantom one day.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #19,190 of 40,577
I should probably rephrase. The treble isn't prominent and though the Phantom is warm sounding, I don't perceive a lack of treble detail. It's an odd, and very well done, signature in that way. I think I know what you mean about the female vocals though I wouldn't denigrate their presence to the degree you do. I think that effect is what I've referred to as a hangover... A thickness that tends to rob some sounds of the upper harmonics (?) and kinda deadening them a little. This is however criticising something that is still performing at a very high level. For what it's worth, I did find that the Eros II 8 wire cleans up that a bit.
Still, overall I find the Phantom a very pleasing iem.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #19,191 of 40,577
I had the Legend X and Phantom on loan from Empire Ears and found it takes a while to appreciate the Phantom sound. I did not like it at first, but liked it after extended listening. Still bought the Legend X, but plan to buy the Phantom one day.

Exactly the same here. It's not be real "wow out of the box" type sound but as you listen more you appreciate it more.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #19,192 of 40,577
Exactly the same here. It's not be real "wow out of the box" type sound but as you listen more you appreciate it more.

Said it before, and it was something that got brought up a lot in hifi magazines in the late 90's (back when they used to review hifi and not tv's sigh). Beware things that sound exciting at first as they can be the ones that you find fatiguing and annoying over the long run.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #19,193 of 40,577

Yep, exactly. Many folks have said the Phantom need time to burn-in, which makes no sense for BA IEMs. Rather, I think the signature takes some brain burn-in, and once that happens, you really appreciate the signature.

This is probably true for a lot of audio equipment. For instance, when switching from the Phantoms to Focal Utopias, I found the treble really harsh and they sounded way too V-shaped (no mids at all). Over a few songs my brain would kind of settle in and I'd find the Utopias to be really fun and insanely detailed. Then, when going back to Phantoms, they'd sounds heavy and thick. Then after a few hours I'd appreciate the mid-centric emphasis and soundstage. And so on and so forth.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #19,194 of 40,577

Yep, exactly. Many folks have said the Phantom need time to burn-in, which makes no sense for BA IEMs. Rather, I think the signature takes some brain burn-in, and once that happens, you really appreciate the signature.

This is probably true for a lot of audio equipment. For instance, when switching from the Phantoms to Focal Utopias, I found the treble really harsh and they sounded way too V-shaped (no mids at all). Over a few songs my brain would kind of settle in and I'd find the Utopias to be really fun and insanely detailed. Then, when going back to Phantoms, they'd sounds heavy and thick. Then after a few hours I'd appreciate the mid-centric emphasis and soundstage. And so on and so forth.

I decided to buy the Phantom in the first place because they are fit with my taste after reading reviews but the more I listen to Phantom with different DAPs and switching around the cables the more I really like the SQ. I have never regretted that I blindly bought them without audition them.

Aug 15, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #19,195 of 40,577
I decided to buy the Phantom in the first place because they are fit with my taste after reading reviews but the more I listen to Phantom with different DAPs and switching around the cables the more I really like the SQ. I have never regretted that I blindly bought them without audition them.

Same. When I first listened (coming off the Zeus-R and Utopias), I was like "oh wow these are so warm and dense." Wasn't sure I liked them at all. But reviewers said they were magical and I gave them some time, and fell in love.

Aug 15, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #19,196 of 40,577
Said it before, and it was something that got brought up a lot in hifi magazines in the late 90's (back when they used to review hifi and not tv's sigh). Beware things that sound exciting at first as they can be the ones that you find fatiguing and annoying over the long run.
Feel that a little bit with my S8Fs; they're unbelievably detailed, but it's quite fatiguing. Now that I'm more used to my LX, it's even more apparent... I think I'm also a bit treble sensitive too, frankly.

You can see that a bit here, if you compare to EE's tuning:

S8F-S2-1.jpg

edit: or, a direct comparison that i hacked together in mathematica because i don't have photoshop on this machine and am not a patron of crin's

upload_2019-8-15_17-40-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-15_17-22-43.png
    upload_2019-8-15_17-22-43.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #19,197 of 40,577
If you love the music of YES and the bass playing of the late great Chris Squire then the Legend X is for you.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #19,198 of 40,577
Feel that a little bit with my S8Fs; they're unbelievably detailed, but it's quite fatiguing. Now that I'm more used to my LX, it's even more apparent... I think I'm also a bit treble sensitive too, frankly.

You can see that a bit here, if you compare to EE's tuning:

S8F-S2-1.jpg

edit: or, a direct comparison that i hacked together in mathematica because i don't have photoshop on this machine and am not a patron of crin's

1E81B94D-FC30-4E50-BB31-4961C672E63B.png

same graphs, normalised at 1khz

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #19,199 of 40,577

same graphs, normalised at 1khz
Excellent, thanks :).

That kinda explains why, being used to the S8F, I felt like it was a bit lacking on on the low end while simultaneously sounding a bit muffled up top--the S8F just has so much energy up top. It's no wonder you can hear literally everything. But like I said... It can be a bit much for longer listens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back