Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 9, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #19,051 of 40,591
imagine dsd there is all kinds so if you take dsd 512 for example that a cd quality x 512

Not really true... that number just refers to a difference in sampling rate, but because DSD is only 1-bit you need a higher sampling rate to achieve the same quality as PCM at a higher bitrate.

Most scenarios a 24bit 44.1k hz is the higest quality humans can perceive.

16 bits of dynamic range is already more than enough for listening (not necessarily for mastering)—it covers the volume range from "wind rustling through leaves" to "chain saw." I.e., with 16 bits, if your softest sound in a track is equivalent to the rustling of leaves (perceived 4x quieter than a soft whisper), your loudest sound is as loud as a chainsaw in your hands. If that's not sufficient for you, you may have bigger issues than file formats, sampling rates, and bit depths...

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #19,052 of 40,591
I just buy the CDs and burn them to 16/44.1 FLAC files then the CDs go in boxes for storage in the closet. The albums mentioned recently are great. I have Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, and plan to get Steely Dan - Aja.

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #19,053 of 40,591
...If that's not sufficient for you, you may have bigger issues than file formats, sampling rates, and bit depths...

Ha, ha... Good one!:darthsmile:

Out of superstition I used to buy in aiff (more info must be better, right?) but quickly ran out of storage so i switched to flac.. Also, I always buy the highest bitrate available. I figure that that way I can't blame the source file if it's not sounding great. Trying to stop my
upgradeitis wherever I can.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #19,054 of 40,591
Used to be quite anal about ripping, tagging etc but gotten lazier. Really should knock it all back into some sort of shape. Don't do streaming as can't use phone (not got one anyway!) in secured areas at work. Also no wifi networks around so can't do it that way. Have a mix of flac, mp3 320 and m4b (apple audiobook stuff).

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #19,056 of 40,591
I just buy the CDs and burn them to 16/44.1 FLAC files then the CDs go in boxes for storage in the closet. The albums mentioned recently are great. I have Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, and plan to get Steely Dan - Aja.

aja is also rock like FM and DS but in a more 'jazz' way- you will probably enjoy the fantastic musicianship, all the music players are masters ,plus great production

one more that i think you will like as it can also be filed under lush and serious is Roxy Music - Avalon (1982) , if you like Aja try this one too

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #19,058 of 40,591
Avalon is very good. If you like Roxy Music, try Manifesto as well.

As to files, I've had DSD albums that didn't sound as good as the same albums in FLAC. DSD to my ears can be a bit too smooth.

Tagging? Most of the issues with players comes from poor tagging. Can't find a track or an album, wrong track plays, things just seem jumbled? Tagging. I'd say 99% of issues can be resolved by going in with a tagging editor and making sure everything is as it should be.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #19,059 of 40,591
@Vitaly2017 Those are possible reasons.

I've generally done a reconversion everytime a revision of the LAME encoder is released to see if anything changed as well.

My comparison is the 1994 release of Hell Freezes Over (not the remastered mind you). Not sure how well mastering was on that.

In this hobby though, I'll save money however way I can.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #19,060 of 40,591
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #19,061 of 40,591
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #19,063 of 40,591
According to the source (which is the dealer in HK), it is the successor of the LX and will have 11 drivers (4 e-stats, 5BAs, and 2 DDs).

Hmmmm very interesting sounds like wraith with 11 drivers hehe

Any idea when they going to announce it?
Now this new odin and valkyrie need to wait and audition both before buying.
Oh la la cant keep up with all the new releases seriously.

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #19,065 of 40,591
Hmmmm very interesting sounds like wraith with 11 drivers hehe

Any idea when they going to announce it?
Now this new odin and valkyrie need to wait and audition both before buying.
Oh la la cant keep up with all the new releases seriously.

Well, with LX being 27.8% more than Phantom at MSRP, will Odin be 27.8% more than Wraith, or an eye watering $4,470?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back