Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #19,066 of 40,591
Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in real quick from the HK High End Show! Project ODIN, as mentioned at the show, is currently in beta stage and still undergoing development. It was mentioned briefly as the topic of discussion from the media was about our usage of quad electrostatic drivers and what else we had in store. We showed it briefly on Friday to the media but it quickly went back in the vault lol. There's still much work to do but as many of you know we value all feedback and continuously develop based off of it so please continue to voice your opinions! Wraith and Valkyrie have been perceived extremely well and is still very much the highlight of our shows! We're churning them out as fast as we can and you bet a tour is on it's way! :)

p.s. If any of our Singaporean Head-Fiers are on here i'll be at Zeppelin & Co next Friday (8-16-19) evening to launch the Wraith and Valkyrie. Hope to see you all there!

67794233_2890257181001354_1369851858822103040_o.jpg

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #19,067 of 40,591
Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in real quick from the HK High End Show! Project ODIN, as mentioned at the show, is currently in beta stage and still undergoing development. It was mentioned briefly as the topic of discussion from the media was about our usage of quad electrostatic drivers and what else we had in store. We showed it briefly on Friday to the media but it quickly went back in the vault lol. There's still much work to do but as many of you know we value all feedback and continuously develop based off of it so please continue to voice your opinions! Wraith and Valkyrie have been perceived extremely well and is still very much the highlight of our shows! We're churning them out as fast as we can and you bet a tour is on it's way! :)

p.s. If any of our Singaporean Head-Fiers are on here i'll be at Zeppelin & Co next Friday (8-16-19) evening to launch the Wraith and Valkyrie. Hope to see you all there!

Does that mean I won't be able to try out Odin if I come over to the show tomorrow?

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #19,069 of 40,591
Project ODIN, as mentioned at the show, is currently in beta stage and still undergoing development. Wraith and Valkyrie; we're churning them out as fast as we can and you bet a tour is on it's way! :)
@Jack Vang
This is very great news. Also, I couldn't think of a more suitable mythic name for a Legend X successor! :D

I'm quite pleased with myself.
It was a tough choice between Nemesis and LX, but I chose Nemesis, as I was looking for the most visceral bass response in this particular purchase.

I told myself I could buy LX later, but also guessed (correctly as it turns out now!) that with the tech in the Wraith and Valkyrie, and the particular configurations they each have, that there would likely be an LX successor featuring twin weapon X's, combined with BA's and those sweet E-stats.

I'm delighted that my hunch proved correct, and cannot wait to hear the end result. On paper, it's pretty much my dream IEM.
In the meantime though, I can definitely say after my time at the EE stand at CanJam London that there's still plenty for people to love about the Wraith and Valkyrie already, either of which may well be other people's dream IEM :wink:

Oh, and please, please, please, do a review tour in the UK/EU this year :D

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #19,070 of 40,591

Tried out both the Wraith and LX SE today at the show, I was really impressed by them, good job! They were def. the best IEM of the show.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #19,071 of 40,591

Incredible news @Jack Vang wow a new iem of a high caliber )

When shall we expect a release?
Now I am thorn between valkyrie and odin!

A few opinions on sound signature,
I liked the Lx treble a lot it sounded really pleasant and very distinguishable from other iems.
But the bass was not to my full taste, I found it too boomy and slaming to hard. I would preffered something more on the accurate side with better texture and layering retrieval. It was the reason why I chosen the phantom it had a better quality bass.

If possible if you could bring more sub bass capabilities thats a big welcome.
With a good linear tuning close to how phantoms are done and not to much u shaped or v please )

:gs1000smile::clap::clap::clap::pray::ghost:

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #19,072 of 40,591
Well, with LX being 27.8% more than Phantom at MSRP, will Odin be 27.8% more than Wraith, or an eye watering $4,470?

LoL at that price Odin should be the star of all iems!
I doubt that it will cost that much seriously cause only 2 or 3 audiophiles will be only able to buy it...

I think it goes by the driver count more drivers more expensive.
I guess it will be around same price as wraight! And with Cleopatra cable 8 wire haha )

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #19,073 of 40,591
Heh turns out Empire does has a TOTL Tri-brid in the works. That driver count worries me though, price is gonne eye-watering for sure.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #19,075 of 40,591
LoL at that price Odin should be the star of all iems!
I doubt that it will cost that much seriously cause only 2 or 3 audiophiles will be only able to buy it...

I think it goes by the driver count more drivers more expensive.
I guess it will be around same price as wraight! And with Cleopatra cable 8 wire haha )

I certainly hope not, but prices these days are wild. All announced/released just in the last handful of weeks:

EE Wraith - $3,500
JH Audio Layla AION - $3,500
64 Audio Fourte Noir - $3,800

The EE & Effect Audio collaboration King Arthur is also an eye-popping $6,800. These flagship prices are only going one direction. I won’t be surprised if we see the next round of flagships topping $4K.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #19,076 of 40,591
I certainly hope not, but prices these days are wild. All announced/released just in the last handful of weeks:

EE Wraith - $3,500

The EE & Effect Audio collaboration King Arthur is also an eye-popping $6,800. These flagship prices are only going one direction. I won’t be surprised if we see the next round of flagships topping $4K.

Yeah I think you're right. I think somebody will fill the 1 to 2k price hopefully to bridge the gap.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #19,077 of 40,591
Yes, what you hope is a trickle down effect with the new technology permeating the line at a lower price point, like with Valkyrie.

Alternatively, what I think would also be good is when a new flagship comes out, it retains the same price as the previous flagship, then the “old” model sees a price reduction. Like what Apple had been doing with iPhones (until iPhone X that is).

Unfortunately we’re not seeing that though. The new flagship comes in at a higher price point and the “old” model stays in the line at it’s original price.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #19,078 of 40,591

EE Wraith - $3,500

Yeap thats because the demand is there. There is people that welling to spend that much... same goes for new sony dmp even if idlove to have cause its a perfect device for me but a hilarious wopping 10 000$ does that make sense?

Any how I dont think EE hikes prices but yes its pretty expensive and only few lucky ones can get that....

Again you can have a pair of phantoms and enjoy life too its a very totl iem sound )

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #19,079 of 40,591
I won’t be surprised if we see the next round of flagships topping $4K.
As long as there are people willing to pay these obscene amounts - companies would churn products at those prices...
The trend would stop, only if people stop buying!

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #19,080 of 40,591
Exactly right. I posted this on the Layla announcement:

The audiophile industry is definitely fueled off FOMO. Most people I have met in my life (outside of Head-Fi) couldn’t even fathom spending $500 on headphones, let alone $3,500.

This is speculation, but I can’t imagine the population of audiophiles is growing by any appreciable rate. If that’s accurate, how then, can headphone/DAC/DAP/amp/cable manufacturers keep raising the bar on price and they keep selling? It has to be us same small number of dopes lapping it up because we’re always wondering “does it sound better?” and don’t want to miss out. I say “us” because I’m guilty too :)

Definitely easier said than done when it comes to appreciating what you already have and not being drawn by the siren song of the latest and greatest, but certainly great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back