Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #19,081 of 40,613
Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in real quick from the HK High End Show! Project ODIN, as mentioned at the show, is currently in beta stage and still undergoing development. It was mentioned briefly as the topic of discussion from the media was about our usage of quad electrostatic drivers and what else we had in store. We showed it briefly on Friday to the media but it quickly went back in the vault lol. There's still much work to do but as many of you know we value all feedback and continuously develop based off of it so please continue to voice your opinions! Wraith and Valkyrie have been perceived extremely well and is still very much the highlight of our shows! We're churning them out as fast as we can and you bet a tour is on it's way! :)

p.s. If any of our Singaporean Head-Fiers are on here i'll be at Zeppelin & Co next Friday (8-16-19) evening to launch the Wraith and Valkyrie. Hope to see you all there!

67794233_2890257181001354_1369851858822103040_o.jpg

Very excited about the Odin, if it's like the Legend X but with more sparkling treble it will be my perfect IEM. I hope the bass and overall 'fun' signature will stay the same as it is in LX, the visceral slam it has is perfect - just would like more treble energy for an even more fun and engaging sound :)

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #19,082 of 40,613
I am content with my Legend X and A12t. The Phantom is next and I am done.

Then the Layla, Trinity SS... And so on. Stop while you have some semblance of self control :p

The only thing that could stop us nutjobs is the neuralizer from MiB. (Or a frying pan to the skull).

All jokes aside. We gotta stop looking for the next best thing. Find what you like in the range you like (unless you're Daniel :p). Then stop cold turkey.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #19,083 of 40,613
Then the Layla, Trinity SS... And so on. Stop while you have some semblance of self control :p

The only thing that could stop us nutjobs is the neuralizer from MiB. (Or a frying pan to the skull).

All jokes aside. We gotta stop looking for the next best thing. Find what you like in the range you like (unless you're Daniel :p). Then stop cold turkey.

Exactly. I auditioned 8 IEMs and like three of them best. I own two and will buy the third when I replenish my play money AND it goes on sale. I see no need to listen to anymore, at least in the next three years.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #19,084 of 40,613

More content coming soon, boiz! :p

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #19,085 of 40,613
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #19,086 of 40,613
3 years ago I became an audiophile cause I purchased the shure se846 was an amazing buy at that time.

When I baught phantom I was thinking to replace se846 and it will be an end game lol.

Nope it never stoped there )
Now I whant an Iem with a Dynamic driver oohh well )

Also keep an eye on new daps. Waiting for that dap with desktop performance.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #19,088 of 40,613
Not sure if you need portability, but I’m very happy with the A&K KANN CUBE. It’s definitely not pocketable though.

I need more of a trans portability currently have the 1z and its not a lightweight dap lol. You could kill someone with that copper brick lol.

Kann heard good feedback of it but no 4.4 (
Not sure if it can do spotify or tidal offline?

And the hiss lets not forget that. With 1z almost no hiss.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #19,089 of 40,613
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #19,090 of 40,613
Yes, it is! :wink:
Okay, maybe if you have questionable fashion sense you can make it work :p

Kann heard good feedback of it but no 4.4 (
Not sure if it can do spotify or tidal offline?
I don’t have a Spotify account, but you can side load Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music on 2018 and newer A&K players (uses the Android APK). So if the Android app supports offline/download, then it will work fine. I have Tidal and it supports offline mode.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #19,091 of 40,613
It used to be $1K was TOTL. Then JH raised the bar, then others joined in and soon $1500-2000 became the norm. Then prices went up again (the Zeus XR was $2300 or $2400, I can't remember) and now we are up in the $3K+ range.

But if you are in home audio, you can buy an ac cord for a couple of grand, or speaker wires for a grand + each, or any number of crazy things for crazy prices. But capitalism is supply and demand. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. And the upgradeitis so prevalent here and on other sites leads manufacturers to keep making new things and new tech costs more to r&d and then implement and the beat goes on.

The trick is to know when to stop for a couple of years.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #19,092 of 40,613
It used to be $1K was TOTL. Then JH raised the bar, then others joined in and soon $1500-2000 became the norm. Then prices went up again (the Zeus XR was $2300 or $2400, I can't remember) and now we are up in the $3K+ range.

But if you are in home audio, you can buy an ac cord for a couple of grand, or speaker wires for a grand + each, or any number of crazy things for crazy prices. But capitalism is supply and demand. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. And the upgradeitis so prevalent here and on other sites leads manufacturers to keep making new things and new tech costs more to r&d and then implement and the beat goes on.

The trick is to know when to stop for a couple of years.
I was lucky my dealer had a demo Zeus he let go for $1700. If it was at MRSP I'd have done a hard pass and gotten the Phantom a full 6 months.

Having tried a $2400 TOTL recently, I decided TOTLs are not all they marketed to be and $1300-$1700 is a fine enough range for me.

Depending on the Valks, I might get the Phantom again, since I really can't find anything that comes close for mixing.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #19,093 of 40,613
I was lucky my dealer had a demo Zeus he let go for $1700. If it was at MRSP I'd have done a hard pass and gotten the Phantom a full 6 months.

Having tried a $2400 TOTL recently, I decided TOTLs are not all they marketed to be and $1300-$1700 is a fine enough range for me.

Depending on the Valks, I might get the Phantom again, since I really can't find anything that comes close for mixing.

I bought the Legend X custom for $2000 and the A12t for $1700 cash while they were on sale. That is the max I will pay for a headphone or IEM. I will probably get the Phantom when it goes on sale. I will then be done. $1200 is the most I will pay for a DAP. I want to retire some day, so I set my limits lower that what I can pay. I just can’t see paying more when the sub $2000 IEMs still sound phenomenal.

Aug 10, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #19,094 of 40,613
I was lucky to I got 1z for 2k on headfi second hand and it was literally brand new just 150 hours on it lol.

My phantom were about 1850 though + my cable ares 8wires.

I think phantom and valkyrie would be the best duo. Not to expensive and very high end quality. Both different to each other.
If I dont like valkyrie my next iem will be ier-z1r sony signature that iem should fit like a glove with my 1z dap. Will see what happens!
Oh yea that z1r iem is 2k so also in the max limit in price that I consider acceptable. Sucks that my ares cable wont fit with z1r du to mmcx connections.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #19,095 of 40,613

But if you stop then how can I get your nicely priced Valkyrie? Ha..

I've always been of the mind that there was one really great iem that would suit all my music choices and fulfill everything I was looking for in an iem... But now I have the Phantom and the Bravado, with very different approaches to bass, I am seeing that selling both to get a Legend X or U12t maybe is the wrong idea. Some of my music is just perfect on the Phantom but sometimes I prefer the more humble Bravado. (I put the Ares II 8 wire on the Bravado and it really cleaned up the bass.. beautiful cable for that iem)
I'm understanding having two very nice iems now..
So... maybe I just upgrade the Bravado to the Valkyrie and call it quits for a while..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back