Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 11, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #19,111 of 40,601
Supposedly it’s harmless. With a DD in an IEM when inserting the air pressure change can cause the driver to flex, which makes a popping noise. Once the pressure normalizes it pops again back into place. There’s a lot that can contribute/prevent it. Ear shape, your insertion method/depth, what kind of tips you use, both material and size/seal. I get driver flex with my LX. The popping sound is much more subdued than with the CA Atlas. I suspect I’ll have it with Valkyrie as well. It’s not a big deal.

Oh really thats odd and weird behavior hope it dont lead it to a damage...
It pops inwards or outwards then back to its position when playing music?
Does it happen only in the beginning or during play back to?

Reminds me I was young I poked the speakers twitters by curiosity
Apparently it doesnt affect the sound. Hmm hmmm lalala lol

But I know all ex models have vents for the dd to move and avoid those issues.
I personally never heard these pops you mentioned.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #19,112 of 40,601
I will stay in Seoul, Korea for dental work another 2 weeks at 19th floor hotel room.

But I am quite happy with the sound out of Massdrop Empire Zeus IEM (I paid 1K$) using my Dell Gaming Laptop and Youtube source.

It is quite musical with almost 75% of nuanced details and realistic soundstage of my high end 2 channel system.

Unless I wish to get subbass and full dynamics, it suit my need.

Actually it is pretty dynamic with 7 drivers but with good coherence.

Although I liked Hifiman Sundara headphone, this Empire Zeus IEM is another lever above it with nuanced details and dynamics.

I never imagined that IEM could sound so musical with gaming laptop.

Stax 009S and Carbon Amp is another level above Empire Zeus IEM in naturalness.

But Empire Zeus IEM is portable and not far behind Stax 009S.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #19,113 of 40,601

It only happens for me when inserting the iems and usually only if I readjust them after I've made a seal, as in pushing them in to get a better seal.
It doesn't happen after that when playing music. etc

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #19,116 of 40,601

Driver flex should really only occur when air pressure is being applied to the driver (inserting/adjusting the IEM), not during actual listening/use. Vents help alleviate this pressure and the drivers are 'flexible' enough that the driver flex doesn't/shouldn't damage the driver itself. Driver flex can exhibit in the form of a slight pop or crinkling sound. I did experience some driver flex with my Bravado, but it never affected the sound. Proper IEM insertion also helps alleviate this. I normally pull up on the ends of my ears when inserting my IEMs, rather than just "cramming" them into my ear-holes. :wink:

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #19,117 of 40,601
Driver flex should really only occur when air pressure is being applied to the driver (inserting/adjusting the IEM), not during actual listening/use. Vents help alleviate this pressure and the drivers are 'flexible' enough that the driver flex doesn't/shouldn't damage the driver itself. Driver flex can exhibit in the form of a slight pop or crinkling sound. I did experience some driver flex with my Bravado, but it never affected the sound. Proper IEM insertion also helps alleviate this. I normally pull up on the ends of my ears when inserting my IEMs, rather than just "cramming" them into my ear-holes. :wink:

Thanks for informative description I now know and reassured this isnt a big deal then.
Just to add I had my tia forte and I never experienced a driver flex with that iem hmm .

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #19,120 of 40,601
Supposedly it’s harmless. With a DD in an IEM when inserting the air pressure change can cause the driver to flex, which makes a popping noise. Once the pressure normalizes it pops again back into place. There’s a lot that can contribute/prevent it. Ear shape, your insertion method/depth, what kind of tips you use, both material and size/seal. I get driver flex with my LX. The popping sound is much more subdued than with the CA Atlas. I suspect I’ll have it with Valkyrie as well. It’s not a big deal.
I know that's the consensus but the noise comes from over exertion and the surround creasing with a popping or crinkle sound. I hate when I hear that because I know it can't be good and once it happens it will like do so more easily the next time. The surround now has a spot(s) that may be more compliant than others or flex non linearly. I once rear vented a PL50 for a tad more bass. It has a ba with a round diaphragm driven by a rod connected to the motor. Sort of a hybrid dynamic/BA type. The diaphragm moved enough on one sweaty ear insertion that the rod snapped.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #19,121 of 40,601
I know that's the consensus but the noise comes from over exertion and the surround creasing with a popping or crinkle sound. I hate when I hear that because I know it can't be good and once it happens it will like do so more easily the next time. The surround now has a spot(s) that may be more compliant than others or flex non linearly. I once rear vented a PL50 for a tad more bass. It has a ba with a round diaphragm driven by a rod connected to the motor. Sort of a hybrid dynamic/BA type. The diaphragm moved enough on one sweaty ear insertion that the rod snapped.

Eeks..
I am listening to my Bravados now and by pulling the ears while inserting created no flex pops but pushing the left one in a touch more and I got the popping sound.

I guess I'll try to limit this as much as possible by breaking the seal before reseating the iem.

But otherwise... Damn these sound so good.. I'm reaching for them more and more over the Phantoms these days. Beyond the bass I can't get over how good the mids and treble are, especially for a single BA... And fantastic staging and imaging...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #19,122 of 40,601
On my side here with only in possession of phantoms.
After 800 hours of listen something happened today and in a good way.
Somehow my bass on my phantoms became more woofy and pouffy fooufy man I dont know how to explain it exactly lol its fast visceral but bass is now on a new level its jusy amazing I never heard them like this before something really happened I cant understand what. Is the burn in process went threw again at 800hours mark lol????

Now they are like 85% like a dd driver but of course with the ba characteristics. I really loving this phantom they keep impressing me even after 10 months and 800+ hours )

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #19,123 of 40,601
On my side here with only in possession of phantoms.
After 800 hours of listen something happened today and in a good way.
Somehow my bass on my phantoms became more woofy and pouffy fooufy man I dont know how to explain it exactly lol its fast visceral but bass is now on a new level its jusy amazing I never heard them like this before something really happened I cant understand what. Is the burn in process went threw again at 800hours mark lol????

Now they are like 85% like a dd driver but of course with the ba characteristics. I really loving this phantom they keep impressing me even after 10 months and 800+ hours )

Agreed. But I noticed one thing that I have been listening to 2 DAPs DX220/amp9 (DX229) and N6ii/A01 it seems Phantom having the visceral, punchier and fast bass with the DX229 more than N6ii especially via EA Eros II 8wire to my ears. :L3000:

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #19,124 of 40,601
Agreed. But I noticed one thing that I have been listening to 2 DAPs DX220/amp9 (DX229) and N6ii/A01 it seems Phantom having the visceral, punchier and fast bass with the DX229 more than N6ii especially via EA Eros II 8wire to my ears. :L3000:

I agree with you ibasso has something in the bass visceralitty it has more visceral effect then any other dap or dac amp I tried )

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #19,125 of 40,601
Eeks..
I am listening to my Bravados now and by pulling the ears while inserting created no flex pops but pushing the left one in a touch more and I got the popping sound.

I guess I'll try to limit this as much as possible by breaking the seal before reseating the iem.

But otherwise... Damn these sound so good.. I'm reaching for them more and more over the Phantoms these days. Beyond the bass I can't get over how good the mids and treble are, especially for a single BA... And fantastic staging and imaging...
I wouldn't worry too much about stuff like this from EE. I'm sure it's considered in the design. It's just irksome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back