Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 4, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #15,736 of 40,664
That depends entirely on what you’re looking for in vocals. If you want a warmer, more natural timbre with a smoother, silkier touch - yet still have excellent resolution - the Phantom takes it. But, if you want vocals that are cleaner, clearer, crisper and more open-sounding - with a more neutral tone - then the Zeus is it. The Zeus isn’t iffy with cables at all IMO. The only pairing I’ve heard that I kinda disliked was with the 4-wire 1960s, because I felt it overtly boosted the upper-treble. The Zeus + Lionheart combo, though, is one of my absolute favourites. It makes the Zeus sound silky-smooth up top, yet vibrant and engaging in the upper-mids. The bass becomes less tight, but the touch of warmth coming from it really binds the whole track together in a cohesive and musical (not veiled) way.

I echo the sentiment that the Zeus-XR isn't a problem with cables. Tried it with Leonidas, Ares II+, BTG Starlight SPC (the "stock" upgrade cable when I got mine) along with various other configs like 8-core SPC. All add their own little splash of flavour, but none of them drastically altered the sound what is fundamentally an awesome sounding IEM.

Have to say, my favourite cable pairing after the Leonidas is actually the cheapest - the Penon CS819 copper cable sounds great with these.

These should be stickied.

Good news, my dealer should have the Zeus on hand for me to demo when funds clear up. Hopefully my Lionheart arrives by then too so I can bring it in and try it out with the Phantoms. Based on my Aries 2 impressions with the Phantoms, I'm leaning towards the Zeus. Talking about escalating quickly!

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #15,737 of 40,664
Has anyone compared the audio 64 IEM universe TOTL tia Fourteen 4 driver or U18t@ $3,599.0 or $2999 respectively?

Yes I did, amazing contenders, but to my ears the Phantom and Legend were more coherent and weighty where the U18t and Fourte were more open and thin. Detail and resolution wise, the Phantom was the last but still a winner when it comes to pick the all-rounder.

Not sure having asked the question, but any of you did try the EarSonics classic double flange eartips with EE earphones? After having tried many eartips, including FA type E, the ES tips are the best to keep raw bass impact and Phantoms' amazing transparency.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #15,738 of 40,664
Yes I did, amazing contenders, but to my ears the Phantom and Legend were more coherent and weighty where the U18t and Fourte were more open and thin. Detail and resolution wise, the Phantom was the last but still a winner when it comes to pick the all-rounder.

i see you also have SE5 ULT

any thoughts/comparisons with Phantom there ?

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #15,739 of 40,664
SE5U is still the best in terms and resolution and technical capabilities as separation, micro-details and PRAT, but that's too serious. The Phantom is clearly not so far, but much more pleasant.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #15,740 of 40,664
So.. I'm hoping to take advantage of the EE sale today and am having trouble deciding.. Up until about 15 mins ago I was pretty set on the Bravado but now I'm thinking ESR..
I'm one of those 2 channel guys (though ex-2channel now and missing it) and my main musical preferences is the new classical/crossover type stuff such as Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter, Johan Johannsson...

Any advice..? thanks..

I really enjoy that music as well. Olafur new album is pretty awesome.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #15,741 of 40,664
I really like the universal Phantoms and get a great seal with the Final E tips, but they are starting to pop off occasionally when I remove the iems from my ears. Any ideas about better securing the tips, or does the silicone on the E tips just get too stretched out with use? Thanks!

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #15,743 of 40,664
I really like the universal Phantoms and get a great seal with the Final E tips, but they are starting to pop off occasionally when I remove the iems from my ears. Any ideas about better securing the tips, or does the silicone on the E tips just get too stretched out with use? Thanks!

Same issue here. Tried the EarSonics mono flange, excellent and better sound, but in fact the bi flange are even better (large noze <3)

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #15,744 of 40,664

Same issue here. Tried the EarSonics mono flange, excellent and better sound, but in fact the bi flange are even better (large noze <3)

UIEMs all have the same problem with popping up the tips. If you like them and do not want to get CIEMs for extra money you can get smaller tips which can be inserted all the way into your ear canals.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #15,745 of 40,664
UIEMs all have the same problem with popping up the tips. If you like them and do not want to get CIEMs for extra money you can get smaller tips which can be inserted all the way into your ear canals.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever had problems with any iem that's had a flared or notched end. The nozzle on these is smooth, straight, and on the slightly shorter side, which I guess makes them more susceptible to this. Oh, well..........

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #15,748 of 40,664
Here is some eye candy of my Zeus R for your viewing pleasure. One by themselves, and one together with my K10s! (Please ignore my cable. Mine didn't come with the Ares haha) 20180824_165300.jpg20180824_165158.jpg

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #15,750 of 40,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back