Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #15,721 of 40,721
That depends entirely on what you’re looking for in vocals. If you want a warmer, more natural timbre with a smoother, silkier touch - yet still have excellent resolution - the Phantom takes it. But, if you want vocals that are cleaner, clearer, crisper and more open-sounding - with a more neutral tone - then the Zeus is it. The Zeus isn’t iffy with cables at all IMO. The only pairing I’ve heard that I kinda disliked was with the 4-wire 1960s, because I felt it overtly boosted the upper-treble. The Zeus + Lionheart combo, though, is one of my absolute favourites. It makes the Zeus sound silky-smooth up top, yet vibrant and engaging in the upper-mids. The bass becomes less tight, but the touch of warmth coming from it really binds the whole track together in a cohesive and musical (not veiled) way.
That is very good news. I cant go wrong either way in this case.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #15,722 of 40,721
I echo the sentiment that the Zeus-XR isn't a problem with cables. Tried it with Leonidas, Ares II+, BTG Starlight SPC (the "stock" upgrade cable when I got mine) along with various other configs like 8-core SPC. All add their own little splash of flavour, but none of them drastically altered the sound what is fundamentally an awesome sounding IEM.

Have to say, my favourite cable pairing after the Leonidas is actually the cheapest - the Penon CS819 copper cable sounds great with these.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #15,723 of 40,721
Much appreciated Deezel!

May I also ask how the Bravados compare with the ESRs on imaging and resolution grounds? Everyone seems to love the Bravados and they are tempting my inner basshead.

I remember the ESR's being more precise in terms of imaging and note resolution, but they're not far off. The Bravado's big-and-bold presentation simply makes precision less of a priority, but it makes up for it in the fun and engaging departments.

Would like to know this too. Was told that the Bravado would not be ideal for vocals and all and that the mids are lacking. Perhaps also with the EVR’s too

The problem I find with the Bravado's vocal presentation is that it's a touch articulation-heavy. You don't get as much of the note's body, even though its clarity and crispness is top-notch. To be honest though, considering everything else it offers (including its price point), it's but a small gripe. It'll only be mildly annoying if you listen to ultra-vocal-focused tracks, but again, it's not as big of a problem as it seems.

Big bass does not equate to warmth to me. LX are huge bass but are not warm. And to not allow a copper cable to burn in is to do a disservice to the sound that it will finish with. And finally all ears are different, we all hear things differently and perceive sound differently.

It depends on where the bass is accentuated. The LX's lift lies closer to the sub-bass than it does the mid-bass, so the warmth it adds to the presentation is minimal. That's not even considering its light upper-treble lift, which counteracts warmth by design.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #15,724 of 40,721
That depends entirely on what you’re looking for in vocals. If you want a warmer, more natural timbre with a smoother, silkier touch - yet still have excellent resolution - the Phantom takes it. But, if you want vocals that are cleaner, clearer, crisper and more open-sounding - with a more neutral tone - then the Zeus is it. The Zeus isn’t iffy with cables at all IMO. The only pairing I’ve heard that I kinda disliked was with the 4-wire 1960s, because I felt it overtly boosted the upper-treble. The Zeus + Lionheart combo, though, is one of my absolute favourites. It makes the Zeus sound silky-smooth up top, yet vibrant and engaging in the upper-mids. The bass becomes less tight, but the touch of warmth coming from it really binds the whole track together in a cohesive and musical (not veiled) way.

Guys, I have been lucky to finally hear both. Zeus is still on the market, because it's sooo good at what it does best. There have been more 2 channel guys/gals, like I am, on the boards lately. I like a few of the IEM's that I've been sent and heard. Here is my take on the EE TOTL IEM's:

Zeus is like a GREAT Planer speaker (Panel type) like a Quad (UK) or Magnaplaner (US)
Legend X is a HIGHLY dynamic, cone driven speaker like a Wilson (US) or Magico (US)
Phantom is like the best of all worlds like a Vandersteen 7 mk2 (the best speaker I've personally heard in the world)

What folks need to keep in mind is that any designer, regardless of cost, has to make compromises. They make them based on what they feel is best in the price range they have to play in. The is for any component in audio as well as cables. When we read folks interpretations and thoughts on gear, we all to often take it as an absolute, but it's not. There are variables, like what do our own ears tell us. That is huge and it's why some feel something is bright and the next posters says the opposite.

I personally have not engaged with many of the IEM's that have been sent my way. The same goes with cables folks have sent to me. When you guys go out to audition or are on the tours, I bet you don't love everything that you read great things about on the board. You have different tastes and like different products. It's what keeps everyone in business or not. Again, not trying to upset anyone, but these are my opinions.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #15,725 of 40,721
@ctsooner22 you just articulated exactly my same sentiments in a way I am not able to yet. Once you hear TOTL gear the realm moves into differences and preferences. Once I realized there is no absolute I could then enjoy my gear better.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #15,726 of 40,721
Guys, I have been lucky to finally hear both. Zeus is still on the market, because it's sooo good at what it does best. There have been more 2 channel guys/gals, like I am, on the boards lately. I like a few of the IEM's that I've been sent and heard. Here is my take on the EE TOTL IEM's:

Zeus is like a GREAT Planer speaker (Panel type) like a Quad (UK) or Magnaplaner (US)
Legend X is a HIGHLY dynamic, cone driven speaker like a Wilson (US) or Magico (US)
Phantom is like the best of all worlds like a Vandersteen 7 mk2 (the best speaker I've personally heard in the world)

What folks need to keep in mind is that any designer, regardless of cost, has to make compromises. They make them based on what they feel is best in the price range they have to play in. The is for any component in audio as well as cables. When we read folks interpretations and thoughts on gear, we all to often take it as an absolute, but it's not. There are variables, like what do our own ears tell us. That is huge and it's why some feel something is bright and the next posters says the opposite.

I personally have not engaged with many of the IEM's that have been sent my way. The same goes with cables folks have sent to me. When you guys go out to audition or are on the tours, I bet you don't love everything that you read great things about on the board. You have different tastes and like different products. It's what keeps everyone in business or not. Again, not trying to upset anyone, but these are my opinions.
I agree about the comparaison with the quad panel, i was the owner of an HQD mark Levinson full system. In this one mark Levinson added 2 X 46cms diameter Hartley sub woofer because of the lack of bass of the Quad panels.
192674BA-6C1B-49A3-A285-36213AA930CD.jpeg

Attachments

• EEAD758D-F57A-4927-93CA-0B2BB09353E9.jpeg
    EEAD758D-F57A-4927-93CA-0B2BB09353E9.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #15,727 of 40,721
So.. I'm hoping to take advantage of the EE sale today and am having trouble deciding.. Up until about 15 mins ago I was pretty set on the Bravado but now I'm thinking ESR..
I'm one of those 2 channel guys (though ex-2channel now and missing it) and my main musical preferences is the new classical/crossover type stuff such as Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter, Johan Johannsson...

Any advice..? thanks..

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #15,730 of 40,721
As I said the bravado is more 'fun'. It has a dynamic driver. The ESR is a great IEM. It's going to give a more audiophile sound. Not as much bass, but much more detail. :).

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #15,731 of 40,721
As I said the bravado is more 'fun'. It has a dynamic driver. The ESR is a great IEM. It's going to give a more audiophile sound. Not as much bass, but much more detail. :).

Thanks... I've been reading so much I can't keep anything straight.. Ha..

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #15,733 of 40,721
I auditioned the Trio and u12, newest for a week and liked them. They just don't have the tonality like a Phantom or even the Legend X. They were a bit on the thinner side of richness in order to get a large soundstage. I also felt they both were lacking in their bass quantity. Not my cuppa, but plenty seem to like that sound.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #15,734 of 40,721
I got my Zeus R customs in a week ago, and i have to say THESE ARE AMAZINGGGGG! Theyre like a portable version of my Ether Cs (non flow) that i can actually wear in public!! finally a neutralish sound signature i can get behind! Dont get me wrong i adore my k10's but sometimes you dont want that much richness haha

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #15,735 of 40,721
There still seems to be a lot of praise going around for the Bravado. I haven't been overly as impressed with mine but haven't spoken much about it because I'm waiting for an opportunity to go to the local dealer and compare directly with the universal. The reason is that when first I heard the uni I was really impressed by it but haven't enjoyed my custom nearly as much. It's weird because they give me a good fit and seal but I just find the bass way too overpowering (and I do like bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back