Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #15,271 of 40,578
The hypothetical proportions you came up with are fairly accurate if we’re talking strictly about quantity. Though, I’d say the Phantom’s midrange is on-par with the XIV’s, so it should be a 9 in that regard. It’s important to remember that the quantify of each frequency has a profound impact on the rest of the range. There are differences in presentation, spatial imaging, textures, body, etc., that define the overall listening experience more than simply this frequency is louder than that one. For example, the Phantom’s treble is less energetic than the Zeus’s, but it also employs different peaks and dips throughout. Numbers like these can have some value to them, but they lack sufficient nuance IMO if you want to get a serious, better idea of the IEM(s) in question.

Well, the LX has more of it but it also has smaller midrange notes and a more energetic treble. So, it’s a matter of presentation and preference more than anything. You’ll be getting a wildly different signature aside from the bigger bottom.

I told you the Phantom will sound alien after the HD800. :D According to many here, the AMP 8 would provide a much more open response. The Phantom is very source-dependent after all. Cable-wise, for added sparkle I’d recommend the Thor Silver II. It provides a clearer tone whilst maintaining the smoothness of the treble. I love the combination with the 4-wire and I’m sure the 8-wire will bring more out of that synergy. Though, the price concerns me. :p Nic also recommended the Rhapsodio 2.98 a while back, so that’s worth keeping in mind as well.

Yea aliens have invaded my mind now lol.
But I really love the phantom and they are the best of what I heard so far. I can retrieve new details and dont know why the bass is what strike me the most with phantom. There is something they do there that melts me.

I dont know about silver cables. I always prefered copper. So I probably stay with ares II 8 wires. And pentacon. It cost around 400$ zzzzz pricy shmansy.....
Or can get stock with 4 wires lol free :)

To start Il buy amp8 and see what hapens.!

To add more info I pluged my se846 into amp4s and jesos lord they sounded better than from my desktop dac I was so surprised. Tough is amp4s redusing bass? Cause they sounded so even and well balanced. The bass that ussualy perturbated my tranquility sudently faded....

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #15,272 of 40,578
The Phantom has more warmth and thickness in the lows and mids than the Zeus X. Vocals sound thicker, and are also farther back than with the Zeus X. Treble has much less zing/ting in the very upper end with the Phantom compared to the Zeus X. The Zeus X is bright and transparent and full of detail all the way through, whereas the Phantom has plenty of detail but is not nearly as transparent. My two biggest concerns with the Phantom were lack of upper end brightness and vocal thickness. Voices that sounded perfect with my Zeus X (or UERM) sounded thicker and warmer but also pushed back a bit with the Phantom. Which is why I sold it. I liked the bass of the Phantom, but vocals did not sound right and I missed the upper end tickets-tick sound I got with the Zeus X. If in a perfect world the Zeus had another (bass) driver and had a bit more bass similar to the Phantom and everything else was the same, that would be, to my ears, perfect. That is NOT what the Phantom brings to the party

I never use the R so can't compare them. If you like the Zeus, keep it. I've not heard anything else come close to that sound. Every month or so you ask about the others. Well, I bought the Phantom and found, when I had it, that I preferred the Zeus. It's hard not to get excited about different stuff, but sometimes the correct thing to do is ignore the siren call and stay with what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #15,273 of 40,578
The Phantom has more warmth and thickness in the lows and mids than the Zeus X. Vocals sound thicker, and are also farther back than with the Zeus X. Treble has much less zing/ting in the very upper end with the Phantom compared to the Zeus X. The Zeus X is bright and transparent and full of detail all the way through, whereas the Phantom has plenty of detail but is not nearly as transparent. My two biggest concerns with the Phantom were lack of upper end brightness and vocal thickness. Voices that sounded perfect with my Zeus X (or UERM) sounded thicker and warmer but also pushed back a bit with the Phantom. Which is why I sold it. I liked the bass of the Phantom, but vocals did not sound right and I missed the upper end tickets-tick sound I got with the Zeus X. If in a perfect world the Zeus had another (bass) driver and had a bit more bass similar to the Phantom and everything else was the same, that would be, to my ears, perfect. That is NOT what the Phantom brings to the party

I never use the R so can't compare them. If you like the Zeus, keep it. I've not heard anything else come close to that sound. Every month or so you ask about the others. Well, I bought the Phantom and found, when I had it, that I preferred the Zeus. It's hard not to get excited about different stuff, but sometimes the correct thing to do is ignore the siren call and stay with what makes you happy.

great impressions , if phantom has thicker vocals AND pushed further back AND the highs are subdued then this is not a CIEM for my taste

i am just curious nothing more - Zeus XR is simply great and i have zero complaints about it in fact i LOVE it

besides there are no money around atm so i will stay curious in a non wallet-harmful way.

again , thanx for the A/B your impressions re always top notch

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #15,274 of 40,578
Will there be any demo tour in cabada or usa?

Jack responded to me that Empire Ears will support us with a Europe-Tour,
There will be three in-ears to listen too, The Legend X, The Phantom and ... The Bravado ...
If you are interested in the tour you can jump in... on a new upcoming thread at that time!

When everything is ready to set, we will let you know!

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #15,275 of 40,578
There will be three in-ears to listen too, The Legend X, The Phantom and ... The Bravado ...
If you are interested in the tour you can jump in... on a new upcoming thread at that time!

Fantastic news

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #15,276 of 40,578
Yea aliens have invaded my mind now lol.
But I really love the phantom and they are the best of what I heard so far. I can retrieve new details and dont know why the bass is what strike me the most with phantom. There is something they do there that melts me.

I dont know about silver cables. I always prefered copper. So I probably stay with ares II 8 wires. And pentacon. It cost around 400$ zzzzz pricy shmansy.....
Or can get stock with 4 wires lol free :)

To start Il buy amp8 and see what hapens.!

To add more info I pluged my se846 into amp4s and jesos lord they sounded better than from my desktop dac I was so surprised. Tough is amp4s redusing bass? Cause they sounded so even and well balanced. The bass that ussualy perturbated my tranquility sudently faded....

If you already enjoy the Phantom’s bass as is, then there’s a chance you won’t automatically love the LX’s. It’s a different presentation for sure; less warm and subtle, though infinitely more guttural and fun. If you’re set on getting an 8-wire Ares II, I’m sure you can talk to Eric at Effect Audio about getting an upgrade. That way, you’ll only be paying for shipping to Singapore, the Pentaconn plug and the price of a single Ares II. It won’t give you more sparkle, but it’ll give you more air, openness and transparency for sure.

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #15,277 of 40,578
But I really love the phantom and they are the best of what I heard so far. I can retrieve new details and dont know why the bass is what strike me the most with phantom. There is something they do there that melts me. To start Il buy amp8 and see what hapens.! To add more info I pluged my se846 into amp4s and jesos lord they sounded better than from my desktop dac I was so surprised. Tough is amp4s redusing bass? Cause they sounded so even and well balanced. The bass that ussualy perturbated my tranquility sudently faded....

I haven't heard AMP4S, but if it's a warmer AMP4 then I don't think it should be bass light. I told you SE846 would sound better on DX200 with a good amp than HDV820 because of the high output impedance of that desktop amp. I have been there, the SE846 is actually the reason why I learned about the importance of low OI for low impedance IEMs.

You won't regret AMP8, it's the best balanced AMP for the DX200 and you will definitely be amazed by the bass, it's simply in another league than the other amps... The Phantom bass are too me very natural with good impact, and AMP8 pairs beautifully with the Phantom.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #15,278 of 40,578

Yesssss!!! You're my hero, can't wait! :D

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #15,279 of 40,578

K thanks sure I will be. :) keep me i. Touch please

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #15,280 of 40,578
I haven't heard AMP4S, but if it's a warmer AMP4 then I don't think it should be bass light. I told you SE846 would sound better on DX200 with a good amp than HDV820 because of the high output impedance of that desktop amp. I have been there, the SE846 is actually the reason why I learned about the importance of low OI for low impedance IEMs.

You won't regret AMP8, it's the best balanced AMP for the DX200 and you will definitely be amazed by the bass, it's simply in another league than the other amps... The Phantom bass are too me very natural with good impact, and AMP8 pairs beautifully with the Phantom.

Unfortunately I feel that I am gona love dx208 + phantom and se846 so much that I am gona have to sell my desktop gear lol.

Plus I am always on the go.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #15,281 of 40,578
If you already enjoy the Phantom’s bass as is, then there’s a chance you won’t automatically love the LX’s. It’s a different presentation for sure; less warm and subtle, though infinitely more guttural and fun. If you’re set on getting an 8-wire Ares II, I’m sure you can talk to Eric at Effect Audio about getting an upgrade. That way, you’ll only be paying for shipping to Singapore, the Pentaconn plug and the price of a single Ares II. It won’t give you more sparkle, but it’ll give you more air, openness and transparency for sure.

Yes I got eric in contact whit me via email. I will mention him about my plans so can save a buck that way. I explained him what I whanted and he said best option was ares 2 with 8 wires!

And yes I am not simply enjoyimg the phantom bass I am completely blown away how it performs. Its just the most detailed bass I ever heard. In every song it performs differently. I also can hear echos on end of every note.

Also phantom is good I never got tierd so far listening to it.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #15,282 of 40,578
Can anyone from EE or those in the know explain to me why the universal line up has non recessed 2 pin sockets? It would be really nice to have recessed sockets. Personally find that most cables look downright ugly with the extrusions for sockets.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #15,283 of 40,578

I'm in!!

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #15,284 of 40,578
Hey I have my legend x on the way 3.5 mm I also plan on getting a dx200 with amp 7 or buy amp 8 and get a 4.4mm wire . The problem is I also want to use my headphones with my phone Netflix /tv on my train rides . But from what i know your not suppose to constally be plugging and unplugging 2 pin connectors ..... can anyone confirm or give advice ?

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #15,285 of 40,578
Hey I have my legend x on the way 3.5 mm I also plan on getting a dx200 with amp 7 or buy amp 8 and get a 4.4mm wire . The problem is I also want to use my headphones with my phone Netflix /tv on my train rides . But from what i know your not suppose to constally be plugging and unplugging 2 pin connectors ..... can anyone confirm or give advice ?

You can get 4.4mm-to-3.5mm adapters from PlusSound, Music Sanctuary and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back