Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #15,107 of 40,577
Depends what signature you prefer. Might help if you could share your preferences and what you are upgrading from.
I loved the pairing with my DX200 and AMP3, AMP4s, and AMP8. I love it even more now with my DX200Ti.

Indeed the Phantom pair beautifully with the DX200 and especially AMP4 and my favorite AMP8... we'll see tomorrow how it pairs with AMP1 Ti :)

Did you heared a real difference from DX 200 and the titanium one?

You'll be able to check the Ti out very soon when I drop by :wink:
I expect differences as it's not only a chassis ugprade (this wouldn't have interested me otherwise)

New power regulators for the DAC and a power supply system that has been optimized with Toshin’s UTSJ and Nichicon Audio Grade capacitors. The amplifier card and motherboard have been modified and updated by hand on each player and comes with the standard modified iBasso AMP1, with 6 high-grade capacitors that make it sound different from the original AMP1.

From the feedbacks DX200 Ti is a not a radical upgrade but a significant one, we'll see. AMP1 Ti, on the other hand, sounds nothing like AMP1 some say it should have been AMP9.

@Whitigir told there is improving with 10% in everything if I am not wrong. Or maybe depending on everyone’s reference?!

It's always hard to quantify but better dynamics, a tad more soundstage and extension if I recall correctly @Whitigir feedback.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #15,108 of 40,577
Hmmm I cant say much about AK player I never heard it or tryed. Only know its very expensive lol.
My dac amp is a desktop and is on the warmish side and little bass up also treble slightly reduced. I seem to like that. According to what you say ak380 with a dock module? Is that what is cu means? Is also warm. But its quiet very pricey i dont know how does it compares to fiio x7 mrk2?

How do you play spotify on that it has a store play?

Well I am still loking for a portable solution but that dap has to be very good so it can sound like my hdv820.

To me, I wanted to get the Fiio, but once I heard the 380cu, I was hooked. There is no comparison to my ears. They are in totally different price ranges. Even if you took the 380cu without the matching amp, it's better (to MY ears) than the top Sony in stock form. I have a lot of experience with the Sony and personally can't listen to it if my 380cu is around. For me, the Fiio is good for the price, but there is so much competition in that range, that you may be better off getting a used models of something else. I'm willing to sell the 380cu by itself as I have someone else who wants the amp, but that may be out of your range still. What is your price range?

Yeah, the Phantom did the same for me. Now I just need to deal with the desire for a new source because I want to see how far the Phantom scale (@ctsooner22, what is a good, slightly affordable desktop source?), a cable because I am having too much fun fine-tuning the Phantom for different types of music and of course finding complimentary TOTL IEMs (like Legend X) because... Head-fi. :D

The Phantom are great though! :sweat_smile:

What is affordable to you? What DAC will you use with it? There are a ton of options and many more on the way, but desktop stuff that I'm familiar with are not known for the most part,in the headphone community. They are more for the 2 channel folks, like me, but there should be crossover.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #15,109 of 40,577
To me, I wanted to get the Fiio, but once I heard the 380cu, I was hooked. There is no comparison to my ears. They are in totally different price ranges. Even if you took the 380cu without the matching amp, it's better (to MY ears) than the top Sony in stock form. I have a lot of experience with the Sony and personally can't listen to it if my 380cu is around. For me, the Fiio is good for the price, but there is so much competition in that range, that you may be better off getting a used models of something else. I'm willing to sell the 380cu by itself as I have someone else who wants the amp, but that may be out of your range still. What is your price range?

What is affordable to you? What DAC will you use with it? There are a ton of options and many more on the way, but desktop stuff that I'm familiar with are not known for the most part,in the headphone community. They are more for the 2 channel folks, like me, but there should be crossover.

Hehe well just to tell i own hdv820 (2500$)
with furutech power cable upgrade (400$)
Ifi mercury 3.0 usb cable ( 300$)
Ipurifier 2.0 ( 100$)
Idefender 3.0 (50$)

All this is my desktop dac amp combo.

So if your 380cu sound like I like then could buy it

But there is one big problem it dont support spotify and spotify offeline mode doesnt it?
And I only stream spotify lol. I am a weird audiophile I guess. And I dont like Tidal lol it has poor almost no good playlist offer as spotify. Spotify is so well implemented and very good music discovery to also music stations are really nice. To me tidal is useless in that regard even with losseless quality.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #15,110 of 40,577
Indeed the Phantom pair beautifully with the DX200 and especially AMP4 and my favorite AMP8... we'll see tomorrow how it pairs with AMP1 Ti :)

You'll be able to check the Ti out very soon when I drop by :wink:
I expect differences as it's not only a chassis ugprade (this wouldn't have interested me otherwise)

New power regulators for the DAC and a power supply system that has been optimized with Toshin’s UTSJ and Nichicon Audio Grade capacitors. The amplifier card and motherboard have been modified and updated by hand on each player and comes with the standard modified iBasso AMP1, with 6 high-grade capacitors that make it sound different from the original AMP1.

From the feedbacks DX200 Ti is a not a radical upgrade but a significant one, we'll see. AMP1 Ti, on the other hand, sounds nothing like AMP1 some say it should have been AMP9.

It's always hard to quantify but better dynamics, a tad more soundstage and extension if I recall correctly @Whitigir feedback.

You intrigued my curiosity what is dx200 ti amp1 ti? A customly redesigned device is that thing official do have a link I can look at it.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #15,111 of 40,577
Hehe well just to tell i own hdv820 (2500$)
with furutech power cable upgrade (400$)
Ifi mercury 3.0 usb cable ( 300$)
Ipurifier 2.0 ( 100$)
Idefender 3.0 (50$)

All this is my desktop dac amp combo.

So if your 380cu sound like I like then could buy it

But there is one big problem it dont support spotify and spotify offeline mode doesnt it?
And I only stream spotify lol. I am a weird audiophile I guess. And I dont like Tidal lol it has poor almost no good playlist offer as spotify. Spotify is so well implemented and very good music discovery to also music stations are really nice. To me tidal is useless in that regard even with losseless quality.

Nice set up. I don't think it does support Spotify. Maybe in the future if they finally go with lossless. To me, SQ is the most important thing. I also have a vast catalog of CD quality on up to the highest resolution to play on the SD cards. For my music tastes, Tidal is fine as I go to the SD card when it won't play what I want, but that's rare as they have added so much recently in all genres. I also will stream MQA on my laptop to the DAC when I'm home. Again, that's me.

As for how I think the 380cu set up sounds vs the HDV820 DAC/Amp.... I like it better. I've owned Sennheisers for years and still do. They are nice. I used them in the studio and even DJ'ing since I was a kid. Their corp HQ is only about 45 minutes from my house and I used to know their US VP of Sales. Got to listen to Orpheus whenever I wanted to. I always enjoyed that headphone and amp, but it still lacked a bit in the bass. Many Senn fans don't like some of the stuff that I enjoy better as we like different things. Heck, I use my Ayre QX5 DAC/AMP/Streamer with the Phantom's and it's unreal how well it scales. Not even the EE folks know how good it can sound, lol.

I did read that you can stream Spotify from your computer to the device. Being wifi able, I wonder if you can stream it somehow. I'm not an expert there, but I know folks who do listen to Spotify on their 1000 and 380, so it can be done at home at least. Deal breakers are just that. We all need different things.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #15,112 of 40,577
You intrigued my curiosity what is dx200 ti amp1 ti? A customly redesigned device is that thing official do have a link I can look at it.

Well, there is no product page, this was a limited (66 units) batch with a titanium chassis and upgraded components and AMP, here is the FB announcement :

XFM8BHe6y89v4Dwkf7IUvwwrTriZv3.png

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #15,114 of 40,577
Very very limited run... i think stocks all sold out .. very impressive specs, but seems batt life is rather short. Like a high end sports car with a very small tank?

Not any worst than DX200 and I wouldn't call a 3.8V 4000mA a small tank. This is needed because a lot of the AMPs are quite powerful :wink: AMP8 who has the record is 1,2W @ 32ohm, 6,2V RMS and 2700mA of current :p

Remember it does stream Tidal or Spotify or any android based app, you get 7/8h of battery on average, but yeah DSD512 will suck it in 4 (but how many DAPs do support it?)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #15,115 of 40,577
Not any worst than DX200 and I wouldn't call a 3.8V 4000mA a small tank. This is needed because a lot of the AMPs are quite powerful :wink: AMP8 who has the record is 1,2W @ 32ohm, 6,2V RMS and 2700mA of current :p

Remember it does stream Tidal or Spotify or any android based app, you get 7/8h of battery on average, but yeah DSD512 will suck it in 4 (but how many DAPs do support it?)

Why they do it in limited lol this gona be sold so overpricely on black market now aaaa man.

Have you tryed it against fiio mrk2? Wonder who is a better device overall

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #15,116 of 40,577
They could sell 200 Dx200ti units and it will be snap up easily.

200 units DX200 ti, that's perfect man, 200 for 200.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #15,117 of 40,577
My Empire Legend X arrived a few weeks ago, this is my first weekend to listen to them.
I did run then in for a long time, they sound stunning, almost better then perfect!

P7295423kopie.JPG

Yes I did put the Legend X in the blender ... but only for the photo :)

P7295467kopie.JPG

I love the sound, listening to Time after Time from Miles Davis Live.... YOU ARE THERE, same Heart of Gold live from Neil Young that voicing pfff

P7295482kopie.JPG

The bass when listening to Dominic Miller's - London Paris Cardiff is so intense, deep, clean, his guitar-sound is so good on the Legend X.
Talking about guitar... Tony Joe White's - I Believe I've Lost My Way sound's so engaging I could listen this song for hours...

I am more then happy for waiting so long.. @Jack Vang, many thanks man!!

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #15,118 of 40,577

Yes to this!

If the the ragular DX208/D512 was already this hilariously ramped-up ballgame child...the Titanium upgrade is what an adult dose of pure Chris Farley brings to the party.
200.gif
As you can tell though, the DX200 + Amp8 + D512 is very captivating on it's own.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #15,119 of 40,577
Yeah, the Phantom did the same for me. Now I just need to deal with the desire for a new source because I want to see how far the Phantom scale (@ctsooner22, what is a good, slightly affordable desktop source?), a cable because I am having too much fun fine-tuning the Phantom for different types of music and of course finding complimentary TOTL IEMs (like Legend X) because... Head-fi. :D

The Phantom are great though! :sweat_smile:

Same desire here :D i fear that's why the Hugo TT2 will be mine when it's released @ October! I better won't tell my wife before it found a safe place on my desk...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #15,120 of 40,577
Someone asked about pairings for the Phantom and if it scales. I use my Ayre QX5 and I promise you it SCALES. Dean has no idea how good this thing sounds when hooked up to a legit world class DAC/AMP/Streamer (a true digital hub for high end 2 channel audio). It's a 10k player give or take.

I think it's balls with the ak380cu and matching amp. Even without the amp, it's balls. I've had some other top end IEM's in finally and used the Ayre with them. They are limited in many ways that I won't share as I don't wan to say anything that would upset anyone. I'm one of the FEW who even use their IEM's on such a piece of equipment. lol. I promise folks that the Phantoms have plenty of quality and quantity in the bass, when it's on teh recording. It's there in spades and as for the top end, it's not just smooth, but bites plenty on sax and has incredible decay on piano notes or cymbals. I've posted in the beginning about that, so no need to go over it here.

I get a ton of that with the AK set up. I don't need any other cables right now either. I've had some of the top name silver adn silver/gold and gold/silver and copper....... None so far are as well rounded as the stock EA cable. Not saying I've heard all of them, but I've heard 5 different makers of cables and I wouldn't do an even up trade so far. Again, this is just me and my ear. I hope I don't upset anyone with this post as they are just my feelings. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back