Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #14,956 of 40,563
Why ia LA not a problem re availability? Is it simply using FedEX within the CONUS or have you found somewhere in the Greater LA region that stocks and sells EE?
No, I likely wasn’t too clear. LA is fine and dandy. The problem I had was a couple of years back when still based in London - couldn’t find a supplier then...

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #14,958 of 40,563
GUYS I PULLED THE TRIGGER
And
Shot the duck!

It droped me a PHANTOM !!!!

Baught a used phantom :)
From bvng3540

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #14,959 of 40,563
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #14,961 of 40,563
Cuz the ..
Bass slammin,,
wife beater wearin',
kiss stealin’,
wheelin’ dealin’,
wave ridin’,

Son of a gun
Now gimmie 3 beats and a $50 mic

WOOOOOOO!!

giphy.gif

If it wasn't me I'd like those 2 other guesses back :)

Wooo!

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #14,963 of 40,563
Lol, you know it bro!! Watched your unboxing video first and I was salivating... Your actual review, that sold me of course. Your ears I trust more than my own bro. I don't think I've disagreed with any of your recs regarding iems. No lie.

Always trust dudes with wifebeaters.
They will never let you down.....until you see them on an old episode of COPS...lol

Ric is my spirit animal :wink:

Dedicated subs (x2) that are called W9 which sounds like a JL series...man I had to have that. The guys that tuned this set are skilled

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #14,966 of 40,563
Just a little shoutout to Phantom owners for a cable pairing I have grown fond of, the new Rhapsodio 2.98 silver/gold alloy cable. The 2.98 provides a clear sound, with the slightest touch of warmth to maintain a natural tone. The punchy mid-bass is there, but in a more controlled manner. The decay of the bass is a bit quicker, so the warmth is less dominant in the tone and staging. The upper-bass is a bit attenuated, but the mid-bass retains its impact, while improving in definition - a tighter bass. Midrange notes trade in a bit of thickness for improved transparency, while retaining a full body; since the bass quantity as a whole is not really decreased but primarily improved in control, it retains a fairly similar note and vocal size.

The treble is slightly brighter, but I would still consider it smooth (although listeners that are already sensitive to the 6 KHz range might find it a bit more aggressive); mostly, the Phantom sounds clearer, while retaining a natural quality. It creeps closer to neutral/natural with beautifully melodious upper mids, rather than a predominantly warm/natural tone. For those who have heard it, I would say the Phantom's tone becomes a bit reminiscent to that of the A6t. As a result, I prefer it with a wider range of music, specifically now including pop and electronica. In fact, it was the first time I preferred electronica with the Phantom than one my usual favourites, the A18. The tone and body of the upper mids was more befitting the dreamy synthetic melodies I indulge myself in. The Leonidas for instance is also a very good pairing with the Phantom to provide a more uncolored yet smooth and technically superior sound, but I find its upper mids a bit drier by comparison. Similarly, Leonidas offers a tight and impactful bass, but I find the 2.98's mid-bass a bit softer and more organic, while still offering a punchy impact. In addition, there is a step up in its resolution and airiness, and accordingly, its precision of imaging. The sound just becomes a bit tighter overall, while retaining its coherent and organic feel.

Anyways, tomorrow I will be seeing Eric from EA at a minishow at the local store, so I will be able to try the Ares II & Thor II 8-wires you guys seem hyped up about, and compare with this as benchmark. For now, I am pretty content with the 2.98 and Phantom, as I think it might be one of the most pleasing and all-round pairings I have heard so far, and is certainly a favourite for now. I'll send it to @Kerouac and/or @Wyville and maybe some other Phantom owners to get a second opinion. At $550 it is definitely a bit more upscale than a standard copper, but still more in the more sane realm compared to the current upper class cables.
That sounds really interesting and I can't wait to hear Sammy's new creation! At the moment my Lionheart is still firmly stuck to my Phantom ever since I switched to SE out, it just works beautifully and will be very interesting to compare to the new 2.98.

Give my regards to Eric and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 8-wires! (Also, try the Eros II 8-wire. I think Eric seemed to like that one with the Phantom as well. :D )

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #14,968 of 40,563
Just had an Andromeda-Phantom sesh. Out of E10K (hopefully not too underwhelming), OI of ~1.04 ohms. Phantom noticeably warmer, bassier even, easily not as bright up top as the Andro. Vocals were affected by this, Andros were airier, Phantom felt reserved. Technical performance was similar, the Phantom's soundstage extended forward "out of my head" for moments the Andro did not. Andros had more up top, so was it deceivingly more detailed?
Question of "natural sound", tonality, timbre, etc. Is Phantom more natural? Was it the Andro that sounded artificial, or was the Phantom too warm and smooth? I'm not entirely sure. Personal excitement plays a part.
Also heard the Kaiser Encore today as a brief cameo. Again, I've heard the Encore aims for a natural sound, but it sounds different to both the Andro and Phantom. It's definitely personal preference at this level.
Now if I were to shoot for the Zeus XR, which IEM is it tonally more similar too, because I find that that is the difference rather than raw out-performance (of course the Zeus XR could, but since I haven't personally heard it, comprehending its resolution/layering would be difficult).

Thats good to know that phantom is warmer and smoother really excited.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #14,969 of 40,563
Just had an Andromeda-Phantom sesh. Out of E10K (hopefully not too underwhelming), OI of ~1.04 ohms. Phantom noticeably warmer, bassier even, easily not as bright up top as the Andro. Vocals were affected by this, Andros were airier, Phantom felt reserved. Technical performance was similar, the Phantom's soundstage extended forward "out of my head" for moments the Andro did not. Andros had more up top, so was it deceivingly more detailed?
Question of "natural sound", tonality, timbre, etc. Is Phantom more natural? Was it the Andro that sounded artificial, or was the Phantom too warm and smooth? I'm not entirely sure. Personal excitement plays a part.
Also heard the Kaiser Encore today as a brief cameo. Again, I've heard the Encore aims for a natural sound, but it sounds different to both the Andro and Phantom. It's definitely personal preference at this level.
Now if I were to shoot for the Zeus XR, which IEM is it tonally more similar too, because I find that that is the difference rather than raw out-performance (of course the Zeus XR could, but since I haven't personally heard it, comprehending its resolution/layering would be difficult).
I would say Andros would be closer to XR. I have not personally heard the Phantom, never had interest in it. The XR is very detailed with high resolution and clarity and allows for a lot of details to shine through with great treble extension. It could be considered a King of transparency and resolution. I was impressed with the sound quality the Andros delivered as well.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #14,970 of 40,563
just curious,

anyone done a comparison between the Bravado and the EVR?

thought of picking up the FH5 but these look tempting lol

would be interesting if anyone can compare the new FH5 and the Bravado since both are hybrids

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back