Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #14,551 of 40,559
I have both the Thor and Leonidas and an incoming Phantom. What advantages or differences did you detect from the base Ares? Thanks!

:D....shame on me. i haven't even tried out the 4 wired Ares II. Sorry. I've ordered my Lionheart and Leo when i odered the universal LX and Phantom.
The uni Phantom is sold and the custom is connected to Leo. Thor to LX and Lionheart is sleeping.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #14,552 of 40,559
Someone was saying lionheart pairs well with the phantom I think.

Didn’t have time to try yet but the Leonidas on phantoms is a formidable pairing.

For my lx I’m currently testing with Horus. First impressions are that the sound is more refine, a more mature and elegant sound. Not as visceral but the difference is made up for.

Ymmv

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #14,554 of 40,559
I actually tried a 8wire horus when I picked up my order. No impressions since I’m not sure if the change if any is because of the custom phantoms or cable. Custom phantoms and universals are quite different imo

Jul 6, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #14,555 of 40,559
I actually tried a 8wire horus when I picked up my order. No impressions since I’m not sure if the change if any is because of the custom phantoms or cable. Custom phantoms and universals are quite different imo

8wire horus? Holy crap! For what? 2,5k? Far beyond my limits. Ares II 8wire shows the Phantoms are quite happy with plenty of pure copper. I'm glad i've ordered a cable for 350 $ (50$ more for the PSquared plug) instead of reaching out for the next super fancy gold/silver/palladium - hybrid madness without improving anything :D

btw the Phantom/Leonidas pairing seems to be polarizing :) That's great! Like always also iem/cable pairings are a matter of taste. I strongly love this pairing! :)

Jul 6, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #14,556 of 40,559
8wire horus? Holy ****! For what? 2,5k? Far beyond my limits. Ares II 8wire shows the Phantoms are quite happy with plenty of pure copper. I'm glad i've ordered a cable for 350 $ (50$ more for the PSquared plug) instead of reaching out for the next super fancy gold/silver/palladium - hybrid madness without improving anything :D

btw the Phantom/Leonidas pairing seems to be polarizing :) That's great! Like always also iem/cable pairings are a matter of taste. I strongly love this pairing! :)

I'll say this bro, the Janus D on the LX is legit.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #14,558 of 40,559

just got my janus D to pair with the legend X. i think my ears must be asleep cos everything sounds muffled as compared to when i pair the lx with labkable's pandora.

I’d love to hear more impressions as you’ve spent more time with them. I’ve also been told the Janus D was not that good of a pairing with the LX.

... funny :) This pairing seems to polarise exactly as other pairings do :wink:
I'll definitely stay with the LX/Thor Silver II 8wire! This pairing really kicks the crap out of my head :D no need to change this in near future :wink:

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #14,559 of 40,559
Hi All,
@Jack Vang

Sorry, but i had to put it up somewhere.
I am really really irritated with the customer service which Empire ears have provided. I dont know if anyone else faced this issue.
I wouldnt recommend it to anyone i know.

I generally dont come out with such accusations or outbursts. But this is far too much for me to take.

I am from Australia and there is no place in Australia that i could try any of EE iems. So I was a little reluctant to order, but then i took a chance.
Especially after seeing a lot of praise here on this thread on EE customer service.

1: EE Bravado I ordered came with Cable issue. It was getting cut out even with the slightest movement.
I didnt expect if from an IEM which I paid around 800 AUD.
I emailed Customer service/Sales at EE and they came back saying that I would have to fill up a "Repair form".
I was not sure why i had to fill up the Repair form as it came with a defect.
I filled it up and sent the cable alone back to them.
2: I emailed them saying that if possible please replace it with 2.5 mm one as i had ordered a 3.5mm with Bravado.
They came back saying it cannot be done.
It was not something which I would expect as I would have to wait till that is repaired and sent back.
As it was faulty out of the box, I would expect it to be replaced. I am not sure if its too much to ask though.
They came back saying, they will consider it.
3: I got an email today, saying that they confirmed the cable was faulty and that i would have to pay 70$ for shipping new one back to me!!!!!!
I am really not sure why I would pay for the shipping?
The cable came with a defect, so ideally it should have been replaced free of cost. I dont think i am asking for too much here.
If it was Amazon I would have returned the whole item and asked for a full refund.
4: So I emailed them and shipped the IEM with every item back and I hope i get a refund. (i paid for the return shipping)
If they want to charge me for wear and tear, its fine, but I really dont think i would want to use IEM anymore.

Was really not expecting this!!!
But really disappointed and frustrated with this kind of customer service. :xf_mad:

I have not been active on this thread, but I feel people should see this comment as well.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #14,560 of 40,559
So... as I shared on the VE8 thread also : yesterday I have received AMP8 for the DX200, for those who are unaware it's a new balanced AMP module which uses discrete components (pics of components here) to deliver no less than 1,2W into 32ohms, 6,2 vRMS and 2700mA while retaining low output impedance (0.38ohm). This is a game changer for the DX200 blowing away AMP4 and 4S and not by a small margin. I am still in awe much more depth, wider and taller soundstage and a layering that is so rich.

If you have a DX200 I'd seriously consider AMP7 (single ended) or AMP8 (balanced), with the Phantom you get very physical bass (Vega class impact but cleaner) that is fast, controlled and layered. Soundstage is much wider but mostly much much taller and deeper making for a very holographic experience. One thing I was still on the fence about was the Phantom treble with AMP4, but AMP8 provides both better extension and smoother experience but more speed too. A lot of you have reported that the Phantom scaled but I wondered how much they could scale. Well, my mind is officially blown away now. We often discount how low impedance and high sensitive IEMs need current because they don't need to be pushed to deliver proper SPL but this doesn't mean they are driven to their potential, this is very much apparent to me now those babies need current to really shine.

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #14,562 of 40,559
So... as I shared on the VE8 thread also : yesterday I have received AMP8 for the DX200, for those who are unaware it's a new balanced AMP module which uses discrete components (pics of components here) to deliver no less than 1,2W into 32ohms, 6,2 vRMS and 2700mA while retaining low output impedance (0.38ohm). This is a game changer for the DX200 blowing away AMP4 and 4S and not by a small margin. I am still in awe much more depth, wider and taller soundstage and a layering that is so rich.

If you have a DX200 I'd seriously consider AMP7 (single ended) or AMP8 (balanced), with the Phantom you get very physical bass (Vega class impact but cleaner) that is fast, controlled and layered. Soundstage is much wider but mostly much much taller and deeper making for a very holographic experience. One thing I was still on the fence about was the Phantom treble with AMP4, but AMP8 provides both better extension and smoother experience but more speed too. A lot of you have reported that the Phantom scaled but I wondered how much they could scale. Well, my mind is officially blown away now. We often discount how low impedance and high sensitive IEMs need current because they don't need to be pushed to deliver proper SPL but this doesn't mean they are driven to their potential, this is very much apparent to me now those babies need current to really shine.

i see you also owned wm1a , how do these 2 daps fair - i bet dx200 is better but i am hooked on the convenience that the 25-hour wm1a battery brings to the table

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #14,563 of 40,559
... funny :) This pairing seems to polarise exactly as other pairings do :wink:
I'll definitely stay with the LX/Thor Silver II 8wire! This pairing really kicks the **** out of my head :D no need to change this in near future :wink:

For me i prefer the LX with horus, leonidas(maybe? since leonidas is like a mini horus). Maybe its because of the stuff i'm listening to.

8wire horus? Holy ****! For what? 2,5k? Far beyond my limits. Ares II 8wire shows the Phantoms are quite happy with plenty of pure copper. I'm glad i've ordered a cable for 350 $ (50$ more for the PSquared plug) instead of reaching out for the next super fancy gold/silver/palladium - hybrid madness without improving anything :D

I didn't check the price, but from what was mentioned its gonna be very reasonable, but thats considering the original price of the horus.

I tried the Janus D with the phantoms but i think it was too 'strong' for my tastes. But there are many good comments with this pairing.

i see you also owned wm1a , how do these 2 daps fair - i bet dx200 is better but i am hooked on the convenience that the 25-hour wm1a battery brings to the table

Likewise i'm actually looking to upgrade my zx300 but the battery life on sony daps are unbeatable

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #14,564 of 40,559

Well, before AMP8 I would have said it was not clear cut and depending on where your priority lies WM1A or DX200 could fit your taste best : WM1A had the edge on depth and layering vs DX200 no matter which AMP and that was something I was missing compared to WM1A and back in the days, ZX2. I would also say this analogue type sound (I know it's a bit fuzzy wording) was something I felt was unique to Sony. I do think capacitors in the Sony were the differentiating factor and it would seem I was right as those type of components are also in AMP8 and 7. DX200 in general is leaner, airier and faster.

Now I'd say AMP8 gives an edge to the DX200 vs WM1A, as it gains this analogue, layered sound and a soundstage that is just much better especially in height and depth while retaining its original qualities. My AMP8 is not fully burned in but already it's striking how much better this AMP is compared to the best so far (AMP4 and 4S).

I do think AMP7/8 put DX200 higher up the food chain and more of a bargain than ever before...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #14,565 of 40,559
Well, before AMP8 I would have said it was not clear cut and depending on where your priority lies WM1A or DX200 could fit your taste best : WM1A had the edge on depth and layering vs DX200 no matter which AMP and that was something I was missing compared to WM1A and back in the days, ZX2. I would also say this analogue type sound (I know it's a bit fuzzy wording) was something I felt was unique to Sony. I do think capacitors in the Sony were the differentiating factor and it would seem I was right as those type of components are also in AMP8 and 7. DX200 in general is leaner, airier and faster.

Now I'd say AMP8 gives an edge to the DX200 vs WM1A, as it gains this analogue, layered sound and a soundstage that is just much better especially in height and depth while retaining its original qualities. My AMP8 is not fully burned in but already it's striking how much better this AMP is compared to the best so far (AMP4 and 4S).

I do think AMP7/8 put DX200 higher up the food chain and more of a bargain than ever before...

For synergy with the Phantom, how would you compare the AMP7/8 with the Chord Mojo? I'm assuming that the AMP7 and AMP8 in themselves differ a little due to the circuitry but any insight you have would be helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back