Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #12,406 of 40,587
Wow. Just sa
Yes, the IE800S’s driver flex is minimal. I guess it can be attributed to the two protruding ports on the back.

The Katana has a relatively intimate stage because of its thick midrange notes and calmer upper-treble. The Zeus presents larger vocal notes, but its superior treble extension and upper-treble peak gives it a sense of airiness, openness and organisation that’s beyond that of the Katana IMO. The Legend X is slightly wider than the non-ADEL Zeus variants, with as much depth as the Zeus-R IIRC. The Phantom’s stage is dependent on the track usually, but it’s probably somewhere between the Katana and the Zeus on average because of its sense of body and its linear upper-treble. Though, in terms of stage organisation and finesse, it can rival the Zeus when fed the right material.

Well, I find that the staging of the Phantom's being large is mainly due to a sub bass that does rumble a little more than it feel it should in a reference iem, and hence giving an impression of a larger staging that it really has.

But then again, what I did hear was a Phantom demo unit. The universal and custom units do have significant sound differences as outlined in Nic's initial reviews. And considering that Nic provided the sound graphs to Jack and empire designed the Phantom in tandem with him, my impressions may be lacking the insight that comes with owning, and designing, the actual product. Can't believe that I had to dig through so many posts just to find his original post buried under so many other posts.

Hello everybody,

There seems to be much anticipation for the release of Empire Ear's new models. I've had the pleasure of listening to most of the new releases a while back, and what I can say for now, is that the n

This is perhaps most explicitly embodied in their two separate lines; 3 multi-BA iems dubbed the 'EP line', and the X-series hybrid line consisting of 4 iems. Even within the hybrid line there is great versatility, with 3 higher-end models that complement each other with very different signatures, albeit united by enhanced, double dynamic-powered bass. So don't discount the rest of the lineup just yet in favour for the biggest and the best, because there are some very interesting models that will complement the headliners.

For now, I'd like to start by telling you a bit about Empire Ear's two new flagships: the awe-inspiring Legend-X, and a very special iem to me personally - the Phantom, which is a collaboration between Empire Ears and myself. In brief, I drew a target curve from which Empire built the Phantom (lengthier post in the shootout thread).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #12,408 of 40,587
Congrats krub.

Having a tiny problem with Final Audio tips since I still don't prefer CIEM than UIEM.

It has ***POP*** sound when I move my chin sometimes .... very very few times (happened from tip moving in my left ear hole I think and wondering it never happen with my right ear).

Also trying with Spinfit CP100 but it can't stick with Legend X UIEM :triportsad:.

Have to look for match one somedays :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #12,409 of 40,587
Just received it today pairing with my Effect Audio - Horus :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Congrats too on the cable and iem. But just curious, as to why you decided not to stick with the stock cable and paired it with the horus? Coincidentally when I was demoing the Legend X, the shop proprietor suggested the exact same set up. They recommended that I swapped out the stock cable and demo the legend X with the horus instead.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #12,411 of 40,587
Congrats too on the cable and iem. But just curious, as to why you decided not to stick with the stock cable and paired it with the horus? Coincidentally when I was demoing the Legend X, the shop proprietor suggested the exact same set up. They recommended that I swapped out the stock cable and demo the legend X with the horus instead.

EE having these new series opening in Thailand last few weeks and they having Horus cable to try with all new IEMs as well.

At first, my ears tend to love bright sound as my previous Kaiser Encore and my current Tia Fourte one. I just need to add one IEM with different style from my Tia Fourte and found that Legend X is the right one.

Anyway, I still prefer to add some more clarity because of bright addicted :frowning2: . That's why I decide to take Horus with Legend X rather than stock Ares II.:L3000::smile_phones::darthsmile:

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #12,412 of 40,587
Could u pls help review this? I also plan to pair my legend x with horus. :L3000:

I'm not a good reviewer, however, I can share some information from these pairs impression. :gs1000smile:

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #12,413 of 40,587
Been swapping between the Legend X and Zeus R over the past few days. Not particularly good at articulating what I'm hearing nor good with technicalities, but here's an observation:

If I start with the Legend X on a particular track, it sounds great overall. Maybe a bit too heavy on the bass, but pretty natural overall. Swap to the Zeus R and listen, the Zeus R just sounds wrong. Wrong as in artificial, very bass-lite, overly detailed and way too bright. The treble sounds artificially boosted, too, and prior to getting the Legend X, the treble of the Zeus was my favorite part of the sound. I can't quickly acclimate back to the Zeus sound, it simply doesn't sound correct after listening to the Legend X

Take a bit of time between test tracks, start again. If I start with the Zeus R, it sounds excellent, not artificial at all and only a little bright. The treble I had previously loved is there in all its glory. Swap to the Legend X, and instead of immediately sounding extremely bass heavy and detail smeared, it only sounds a little more bass heavy than if I had listened first. The adjustment back to the Legend is very quick.

Given my testing across random tracks and random musical genres, the Legend X, despite my generally preferring brighter, less bass heavy presentations, is clearly the better overall choice to me over Zeus R. The King is dead, long live the King.

The little winged demon on my shoulder is wondering if the Phantom splits the difference...maybe the King won't live all that long after all...

Edit: One more observation. I also swapped between the Aries II and Eros II cables. The Eros II cable boosts the bass even more. Bad for the Legend X, good for the Zeus R.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #12,414 of 40,587
Been swapping between the Legend X and Zeus R over the past few days. Not particularly good at articulating what I'm hearing nor good with technicalities, but here's an observation:

If I start with the Legend X on a particular track, it sounds great overall. Maybe a bit too heavy on the bass, but pretty natural overall. Swap to the Zeus R and listen, the Zeus R just sounds wrong. Wrong as in artificial, very bass-lite, overly detailed and way too bright. The treble sounds artificially boosted, too, and prior to getting the Legend X, the treble of the Zeus was my favorite part of the sound. I can't quickly acclimate back to the Zeus sound, it simply doesn't sound correct after listening to the Legend X

Take a bit of time between test tracks, start again. If I start with the Zeus R, it sounds excellent, not artificial at all and only a little bright. The treble I had previously loved is there in all its glory. Swap to the Legend X, and instead of immediately sounding extremely bass heavy and detail smeared, it only sounds a little more bass heavy than if I had listened first. The adjustment back to the Legend is very quick.

Given my testing across random tracks and random musical genres, the Legend X, despite my generally preferring brighter, less bass heavy presentations, is clearly the better overall choice to me over Zeus R. The King is dead, long live the King.

The little winged demon on my shoulder is wondering if the Phantom splits the difference...maybe the King won't live all that long after all...

I think if you're already happy with the Legend X's treble performance, the Phantom might not be for you. If you're looking for an IEM that has a warmer and more natural tone whilst maintaining the Legend X's excellent clarity and overall presentation, the Vantage is the one for you.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #12,415 of 40,587
I think if you're already happy with the Legend X's treble performance, the Phantom might not be for you. If you're looking for an IEM that has a warmer and more natural tone whilst maintaining the Legend X's excellent clarity and overall presentation, the Vantage is the one for you.

Interesting!

Yes, I am very happy with the Legend X treble performance.

I see where you're going, stay within the same X family to get the X family sound, minus a bit of bass. Quick question, why the Vantage over the Nemesis?

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #12,416 of 40,587
Hi! While following this thread, I've been excited to try the LX and Phantom, given the many comments about how natural the tone is, conveyed through these. So do you feel the the Vantage has yet a more natural timbre than these two? Thanks!

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #12,417 of 40,587
Interesting!

Yes, I am very happy with the Legend X treble performance.

I see where you're going, stay within the same X family to get the X family sound, minus a bit of bass. Quick question, why the Vantage over the Nemesis?
The Nemesis is more V-shaped with a boosted upper midrange/lower treble. The Vantage has a very warm, smooth signature.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #12,420 of 40,587
I find the Legend X is be warm enough for me. Would the Vantage be too warm in that case?

I guess it really boils down to finding whatever comes closest to the Legend X sound with a little bass cut.
It's getting longer ago every day since I listened to the EE lineup so I'm probably going to start getting things wrong if I say much more just going from memory :p
I will add though that the Bravado could be what you're looking for. From memory, the Vantage has a pretty kickass low end so if you're looking for less bass then that one likely wouldn't be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back