Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #12,286 of 40,629
Nice unique design. :smile_phones:
I have my own design too but how do Ethan and Richard apply to the face plate and how much do they cost? Thank you.

You can upload your own image on Empire Ears's Product Designer page. They cost $75 per side.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #12,287 of 40,629
I think my Phantom should be shipping out today or in the next few days...(waiting on official shipping notice)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #12,288 of 40,629
A little birdie is visiting me for a few weeks. How will he fare vs the Phantom? UM Mason V3 vs EE Phantom battle royale coming soon.

I was thinking of getting the rme 2-dac at some point, not sure if it's worth it though.

Have you auditioned this dac yet? There are many in this price range as well as used Codex's in this range that you may also want to listen to.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #12,289 of 40,629
@pacman46 let me tell you a real example from how my perspective has changed since i learned about the EE change of policy on reshells - and i am gonna tag @Jack Vang as well cause this is valuable, smart feedback imho from someone who has the iq/eq and business insight on what is good for a company's selling numbers

We never publicly offered owner transfers, though we did do them occasionally on a case-by-case basis - many of those units multiple times at discounted rates. The official cutoff date for owner transfers will be April 30, 2018 and this option will not be available for the X & EP series. Please feel free to contact @Ethan Groover in regards to any inquiries related to this. We highly encourage you guys to purchase universals if you're looking to resell later on down the road. For CIEM owners we'll provide support for as long as we're around. :beerchug:

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #12,290 of 40,629
We never publicly offered owner transfers, though we did do them occasionally on a case-by-case basis - many of those units multiple times at discounted rates. The official cutoff date for owner transfers will be April 30, 2018 and this option will not be available for the X & EP series. Please feel free to contact @Ethan Groover in regards to any inquiries related to this. We highly encourage you guys to purchase universals if you're looking to resell later on down the road. For CIEM owners we'll provide support for as long as we're around. :beerchug:

If I have CIEMs designed by me (faceplate) like I saw the awesome designs from couple threads before and their sound is extremely perfect to my taste I would not part them to anyone.
@Jack Vang thank you for excellent support and kind words. :beerchug:

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #12,294 of 40,629
So, I like the fact that the Phantom scales... How does it sound from a phone? I'm trying not to buy one so use your best judgement when posting a response.
Since you are trying to not buy one, I'll help you out. I won't say that it is the easiest to drive IEM I've owned, and I won't say that you can reap the vast majority of it's supremely natural, chameleon-like response to the music you pay through it out of your phone. Nor that once you hear what truly natural sounds like, the eccentricities and/or faults with other IEMs become more glaringly apparent.

But what I will say is that even though the most important upgrade is the IEM itself, you owe it to the gear and yourself to buy a proper source for it, if at least later down the line. This applies to the Phantom, VE8, and any other high end IEM.

But I won't say that once you listen to the Phantom, you won't help but wonder how it can possibly get better and start on the source upgrade path by default.

You're welcome.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #12,295 of 40,629
Well my custom Phantoms arrived today and I can’t seem to get a good seal without pressing them into my ears (and causing a lot of pain) so I may have to send them back for a refit.... sigh.

Funny thing, despite the problem I still can’t stop listening to them... they just sound so RIGHT and FULL (albeit distant with zero sub-bass, due to poor seal). And this is out of my iPhone.

EDIT: So I realized I just don’t know how to put them in completely, and once I got them in right they sealed up perfectly and all the pain is gone... and they just took my breath away.

These are my first CIEMs, please bear with me :ksc75smile:

EDIT2: after another 30 min I finally got the left one in... I guess this is why they say you need to work for anything worth having.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #12,300 of 40,629
So, I like the fact that the Phantom scales... How does it sound from a phone? I'm trying not to buy one so use your best judgement when posting a response.
Phantom is an IEM that IMO you'd either love it, or nah. Even from a higher-resolution source, if your sound preference doesn't meet then it's better to avoid getting it. To answer how does it sound in general, I think the Phantom sounds warm, smooth, and intimate with good technical, and at the same time emotional presentation. Fair surrounding soundstage, with high note definition, and plentiful bass. A very mature-sounding audiophile IEM. That said, its sound signature is neutral-warm which might sound good for male vocals, and cello. But for me, I feel it lacks a bit of the sweetness, sparkle and bite for leaner, brighter instruments. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back