Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #10,516 of 40,591
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #10,517 of 40,591
Have you been listening to my inner monologue again?! :wink: Fortunately for my wallet, the market for second hand kidneys is slow at the moment... :wink:
I think of lot of us have this inner dialogue when looking at all the options EE is presenting us with, hehe! :D The Phantom align perfectly with my preferences and wishes for TOTL IEMs, but just thinking about the double DD in the Legend X... drool... drool...
giphy.webp

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #10,518 of 40,591
Hi all,

I've just demoed the EE Phantom in a store in Hong Kong and thought some of you might be interested in some quick impressions.

First of all, I have the Zeus XR ADEL myself, so the standard of comparison is extremely high. The Phantom is a fairly complementary IEM -- while the Zeus is rather upper mid-treble strong, the Phantom has a quite neutral bass with a great extension and warmth the Zeus does not have. The Phantom is a wonderfully natural sounding IEM with great detail and stage. I have seldomly heard an IEM that can make both voices and instruments sound that realistic.

Compared to the Legend X, the Phantom has a more organic sound with a fair amount of timber, which makes it very pleasant and easy to listen to. Definitely my next purchase!

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #10,519 of 40,591
Hi all,

I've just demoed the EE Phantom in a store in Hong Kong and thought some of you might be interested in some quick impressions.

First of all, I have the Zeus XR ADEL myself, so the standard of comparison is extremely high. The Phantom is a fairly complementary IEM -- while the Zeus is rather upper mid-treble strong, the Phantom has a quite neutral bass with a great extension and warmth the Zeus does not have. The Phantom is a wonderfully natural sounding IEM with great detail and stage. I have seldomly heard an IEM that can make both voices and instruments sound that realistic.

Compared to the Legend X, the Phantom has a more organic sound with a fair amount of timber, which makes it very pleasant and easy to listen to. Definitely my next purchase!
When I read that, it's so... so...
Ik7c7PU.gif

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #10,520 of 40,591
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #10,521 of 40,591
What? No puppies involved in your gif? :astonished:
Or is she eating a hotdog? :wink:
Nah, my wife (not pictured, btw) is far too busy assessing the strength of her position in the negotiations now that the Phantom appear to tick every box. That, and she is too busy looking at adoption websites, so the next gif I need to use is probably more like...
land-of-stray-dogs-territorio-de-zaguates-costa-rica-16.gif

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #10,522 of 40,591
Hi all,

Phantom is definitely my next upgrade CIEMs. Thank you.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #10,525 of 40,591
Feb 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #10,526 of 40,591
Is it just me or do the nozzles look really short in that pic?

Beautiful craftsmanship - just that they look like they'd fall out of my ears with such short nozzles

Perhaps they're just for publicity, rather than for use?

EE's IEMs have always had rather short nozzles. This is why they gradually expand to a lip at the end of the nozzle - which isn't really visible in the picture - to keep the tips in place. I've used and tip-rolled with EE's new shell design and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #10,527 of 40,591
Going the CIEM route for the first time folks. I don’t need no stinking nozzles. J/K. Watching too many movies I think lol. Streaming Rhye’s album Blood right now. Going up tempo in a few.

Sorry to bother the thread with music. Ha!

So much excitement for me right now. Really looking forward to Can Jam NYC. I’ll have my AK 380cu and may even bring the matching amp if anyone wants to listen. I still like the 380cu better than the 1000. JMHO. Can’t wait to pair them up with the Phantom and Legacy X. Also need to listen to the lower priced ones for friends who haven’t been in the IEM world ever.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #10,529 of 40,591
Is it just me or do the nozzles look really short in that pic?

Beautiful craftsmanship - just that they look like they'd fall out of my ears with such short nozzles

Perhaps they're just for publicity, rather than for use?

Not as fancy artwork since this is a prototype shell, for review purpose (not glamour shots), but here is how my review sample of Legend X looks:

ee_legend_x-x01.jpg ee_legend_x-x02.jpg ee_legend_x-x03.jpg

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #10,530 of 40,591
Not as fancy artwork since this is a prototype shell, for review purpose (not glamour shots), but here is how my review sample of Legend X looks:

And there's that hunger again. It runs deep in my belly. :confounded:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back