Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #8,746 of 40,675
I have MS and it's been difficulty with tubes blowing etc... I used to roll them too and those days are gone. I also have little dogs who would hurt themselves. I used cages and it didn't matter. I also like the Ayre gear better than the tube gear I've listened to. As I said, it gets the music right. That's for headphones, CIEM's and 2 channel audio.

I have a feeling that the EE CIEM's will sound great on all top gear. Based on the specs it looks like they are so efficient that can be easily driven by both. Then it comes down to synergy. This is one reason I can't wait to get a top pair in the house. I want to see how they sound with Mojo in single ended mode as well as balanced with my Ayre (I'll have to get a balanced, pono connection for them and I'm sure you guys can help me find out where I can get a decent cable that isn't to crazy expensive, lol. :)

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #8,747 of 40,675
I want to see how they sound with Mojo in single ended mode as well as balanced with my Ayre (I'll have to get a balanced, pono connection for them and I'm sure you guys can help me find out where I can get a decent cable that isn't to crazy expensive, lol. :)

Haven't used them, myself, but I've seen Fiio cables for sale, on eBay, with different connector options at the CIEM end (so you'd need to choose carefully!), and a balanced 2.5mm TRRS option at the jack end. Might be an economical option, even if you find you need to modify to a different connection.

For example, eBay item number: 291866217042

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #8,748 of 40,675
That is probably a good option. As long as it's a balanced connection I can get a friend in the industry to make me a pono connection I bet.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #8,750 of 40,675
Well I'm a couple weeks into waiting for my CIEM Zeus. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much and have patience. I had fun talking to and hanging with the EE team. Looking forward to getting the Zeus.

Also curious w/ the talk about Ayre, do you guys use your IEM w/ desktop setups too or just with DAPs/Phones?

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #8,751 of 40,675
Well I'm a couple weeks into waiting for my CIEM Zeus. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much and have patience. I had fun talking to and hanging with the EE team. Looking forward to getting the Zeus.

Also curious w/ the talk about Ayre, do you guys use your IEM w/ desktop setups too or just with DAPs/Phones?

I generally use DAPs for my IEMs, with a portable amp too on rare occassions. I can't imagine the hiss that'll come out of my Zeus paired with a Liquid Carbon. :D

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #8,752 of 40,675

M1, m2s and I'll have to see with my Ak120II

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #8,753 of 40,675
I use both, but mostly my iPhone with the old AQ Dragonfly Red and now the Mojo. I have never heard hiss from my set ups, so I read these comments with interest. Not sure why you get hiss when using top DAC's/amps or DAP's.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #8,754 of 40,675
I use daps at work as phones are banned (and I don't have one anyway). Currently it's the sony a35. Which is fine but rubbish for audiobooks which used to account for about 50 percent of my listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back