Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 8, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #5,401 of 40,566

Cheers for the help guys.
I was looking for a beater DAP that performs decently well, I'll look into the FiiOs.
The Zeus is indeed very sensitive; it hisses slightly even out of my modded 240SS!

Only a few impressions so far but the Aune M1S looks like it could turn out quite nicely. Twister mentioned minimal hiss with zeus here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/827960/aune-m1s-impressions-discussion-thread-aunes-newest-hi-res-dap-with-ess9012km-2-5mm-balanced-out/75#post_13077694

Yes, indeed, M1s is shaping up to be a decent cheap beater DAP with a basic playback functionality, support of flac/dsd, and surprisingly good sound quality (both 3.5mm SE and 2.5mm BAL outputs).  M1s has a slightly warmer full body sound which pairs up great with Zeus, and absolutely NO hissing even in high gain (it has low/middle/high gain setting).  They are working through some bug fixes, fw is constantly being updated.  @Overkill Red I will try to remember to bring it to CJ NYC so you can check it out.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #5,403 of 40,566
Jan 8, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #5,404 of 40,566
Well, there is always this if you wish to make your current rig hiss-free. Plus, it doesnt need a battery so running low on power is never an issue. 

For me, the main benefit however, outside the hiss free experience, would be the ability to convert the balanced output of the AK380, for use with my single end cables, and vice versa. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,405 of 40,566
Pretty expensive option at $450. The iEMatch is only $49 and will take care of virtually all hiss/background noise issues!

Rejoice hiss sufferers, rejoice! :beerchug:

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #5,406 of 40,566
Pretty expensive option at $450. The iEMatch is only $49 and will take care of virtually all hiss/background noise issues!

Rejoice hiss sufferers, rejoice!
beerchug.gif

Indeed.  iEMatch is like a magic switch for sensitive IEMs.  Zeus + LPG is unbearable, Zeus + iEMatch + LPG is dead quiet.  But there is some trade off where in this particular case of Zeus/LPG pair up with iEMatch - upper mids/treble become a bit too smooth.  It's still clear and detailed, but the sparkle and the airiness of Zeus XRA are lost.  Again, I can only speak for this particular pair up with PAW Gold when using iEMatch, while it could be different with other DAPs.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #5,407 of 40,566
For those that are hiss sufferers, the iEMatch is the way to go, even if there may be a possible perceptible change in sound signature or not, since hiss seems to be the main issue that is discussed and can be used with anything for only $49. Of course there are other more expensive add-on options like the Black Label, but for a low cost alternative for those that must must must thwart the "evil" that is hiss no matter what (and for a reasonable price), the iEMatch is the way to go!

Hiss sufferers rejoice!

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #5,408 of 40,566
The only concern I have with the IEmatch, is a sub quality wire and plug components (not using furutech carbon core plugs, or full 8 strand shielded OCC silver/copper wires for the interconnect, solder used within the parts). At the price we pay for our iems, the last thing I want feel we should do is add a bottle neck between the source and the iem. 

At least, with the 2ak, I know that it wont compromise the sound quality as long as the interconnect used is the best you can get. At any rate, having demoed the iematch, I remained unconvinced by it. The iematch, as you all mentioned, compromised the sound in certain areas, which was an immediate no-no in my books. The 2ak however, actually enhanced my listening experience by increasing the holographic presentation while improving on the articulation of each note (e.g. the treble seemed to reach higher and the bass became tighter). 

So, yes, the iematch is a budget option, but it was a compromise on my 'no-compromise' take to portable audio, where every little compromise is made more salient in a system that is in itself already limited by virtue of its design. Heck, even the AK players are compromised, if you examine the ribbon wires and clock used, which can be upgraded to full OCC wires and so on. 

Just my two cents worth, within the context of iems and players that cost upwards of 4k per unit. 

Edit: i realized that the iematch employs a "6N copper silver matrix" for signal transfer, which isnt too bad i guess. But that means that it is a resistor based circuit. which will have an impact of different part of the sound frequency since it will act as a filter of sorts. The 2ak, is a transformer unit of sorts, bypasses that issue. The drawback of course, is the price.  

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #5,409 of 40,566
The only concern I have with the IEmatch, is a sub quality wire and plug components (not using furutech carbon core plugs, or full 8 strand shielded OCC silver/copper wires for the interconnect, solder used within the parts). At the price we pay for our iems, the last thing I want feel we should do is add a bottle neck between the source and the iem. 

At least, with the 2ak, I know that it wont compromise the sound quality as long as the interconnect used is the best you can get. At any rate, having demoed the iematch, I remained unconvinced by it. The iematch, as you all mentioned, compromised the sound in certain areas, which was an immediate no-no in my books. The 2ak however, actually enhanced my listening experience by increasing the holographic presentation while improving on the articulation of each note (e.g. the treble seemed to reach higher and the bass became tighter). 

So, yes, the iematch is a budget option, but it was a compromise on my 'no-compromise' take to portable audio, where every little compromise is made more salient in a system that is in itself already limited by virtue of its design. Heck, even the AK players are compromised, if you examine the ribbon wires and clock used, which can be upgraded to full OCC wires and so on. 

Just my two cents worth, within the context of iems and players that cost upwards of 4k per unit. 

Edit: i realized that the iematch employs a "6N copper silver matrix" for signal transfer, which isnt too bad i guess. But that means that it is a resistor based circuit. which will have an impact of different part of the sound frequency since it will act as a filter of sorts. The 2ak, is a transformer unit of sorts, bypasses that issue. The drawback of course, is the price.  

I agree with you on the iematch, clearly lowers sound quality. Some people are ok with that tho.
I couldn't stand it

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #5,410 of 40,566

Sorry if I missed it, what is 2ak?

Regarding connectors, iFi can't use any premium plug components because those are customs with switches.  The female part of the connector has a switch between two setting (similar to Micro iDSD) depending on sensitivity level of IEMs.  And the male part of the connector has a switch between SE (3.5mm TRS) and BAL (3.5mm TRRS, hifiman wiring).  So, they can't use off-the-shelf parts for that.  And indeed, the wire is 6N purity SPC which is better than a cheap OFC
wink.gif
  Overall, great build quality imho, but there is compromise in sound quality that will depend on IEM/DAP as well as your personal sound preference.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #5,411 of 40,566
Just my quick input on the IEMatch, it does "smooth off the edges" a bit of the sound on my Savage 5's, but it really isn't noticeable unless you know every single part of the track you are listening to by heart. To me, a barely noticeable loss in sound-quality is worth it for the HUGE loss in hiss. If there is any hiss I can't even listen to the music's details properly anyway as it is much too distracting.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #5,412 of 40,566
Has anyone been in touch with DJ or Jack recently? I tried contacting DJ middle of last week and Jack at the end of the week but haven't heard anything. I wanted to see if I could make a change to my Zeus-XR ADEL order but haven't had any luck reaching out to them.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #5,413 of 40,566

Sorry if I missed it, what is 2ak?

Regarding connectors, iFi can't use any premium plug components because those are customs with switches.  The female part of the connector has a switch between two setting (similar to Micro iDSD) depending on sensitivity level of IEMs.  And the male part of the connector has a switch between SE (3.5mm TRS) and BAL (3.5mm TRRS, hifiman wiring).  So, they can't use off-the-shelf parts for that.  And indeed, the wire is 6N purity SPC which is better than a cheap OFC
wink.gif
  Overall, great build quality imho, but there is compromise in sound quality that will depend on IEM/DAP as well as your personal sound preference.

The 2ak is basically a portable transformer that completely removes separates the power loop of the player, from the IEM, in an attempt to remove any jitter/noise/hiss induced in the source. The good advantage about it is that it does not compromise the sound in anyway, and does not require a power charge to function.

THe iFi can use premium parts; the 3.5male is probably your standard AEC oem plug, and the wire not OFC of similar quality to boutique upgrade cables like Plussounds gold plated silver, or even gold infused silver. The thing is that the performance gains are, while present, minimal, and hence doesnt match its target audience of the mass market consumers. So to cut cost, they went for cost effectiveness as opposed to all out performance product choices. 

But, i agree that one's budget is a strong consideration in product choice. But with some ppl here, having already splurged close to 4grand for their IEM, then handicapping its performance because they dont want to buy a product that costs a tenth of it, kind of puzzles me. Its like spending a fortune on a Mesarati, then lobbing on bargain tires because the good ones are too expensive. A barely noticeable loss in performance, is still a loss of performance none the less. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #5,414 of 40,566
Has anyone been in touch with DJ or Jack recently? I tried contacting DJ middle of last week and Jack at the end of the week but haven't heard anything. I wanted to see if I could make a change to my Zeus-XR ADEL order but haven't had any luck reaching out to them.

I received an email from DJ last Friday about my order.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5,415 of 40,566
Looking forward those overlain graphs! Maybe someone could take the 3 graphs reduce opacity and layer them.  I'd do it but I don't have photoshop anymore. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back