Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,701 of 40,577
  I was about to shell out a custom layla until I found out about the 14 drivers Zeus. Which one do you think is better? Layla or Zeus? Pairing with an iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 (R&B Songs)

I prefer the Zeus R, but not for the reasons mentioned below.
I listened both of and I can easily say Zeus R is better. Layla veiled when compared to the Zeus R. ZR has better treble extension, seperetion and micro detail.

I disagree. the Layla has excellent separation and details, it is its strong point. The reason it sounds veiled is the weird veiled / backward mids in the Layla.

So, I should go for the Zeus R? Is it better than the Zeus XIV?

They sound quite different so it depends on your tastes. The R has more width, more air, and is more balanced sounding. The XIV is thicker sounding with more resolving mids. I prefer the XIV but I gues most people might not.
I'm. Always reslly curious about this. Which has clearer and more Forward energetic sound?

Clearer : R. Energetic...well it depends. See above.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,702 of 40,577
I'll be using my iem hopefully a Zeus at home mainly. I'm wondering if I should go forward with a fully size headphone upgrade? I mean I just want best clarity and forward midrange presentation... I anticipate something that can be my end game, I do like thr idea of portable iems tho... Which is a big plus. But to me sound quality would be my number 1

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,703 of 40,577
I'll be using my iem hopefully a Zeus at home mainly. I'm wondering if I should go forward with a fully size headphone upgrade? I mean I just want best clarity and forward midrange presentation... I anticipate something that can be my end game, I do like thr idea of portable iems tho... Which is a big plus. But to me sound quality would be my number 1

If it is sound quality as your number 1, you should be investing in full sized standing speakers in a dedicated room, and be prepared to explain to your neighbours why they hear an orchestra coming from your apartment at night. Why straddle the middle ground with a headphone that is neither as portable as a CIEM, nor as immersive as a speaker. 

That said, its not as if the gap between cans and CIEMS are that far away as they used to be. Granted, that the HE100 is by far superior to the Zues R, or any CIEMS as the moment, but if its the more mainstream cans the distance gap is smaller than you might imagine. Plus, we're not even counting in the need to lug around a portable amp to ensure that said cans are sufficiently powered, which differs from simply cranking the volume up on your phone or player. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,704 of 40,577
If it is sound quality as your number 1, you should be investing in full sized standing speakers in a dedicated room, and be prepared to explain to your neighbours why they hear an orchestra coming from your apartment at night. Why straddle the middle ground with a headphone that is neither as portable as a CIEM, nor as immersive as a speaker. 

That said, its not as if the gap between cans and CIEMS are that far away as they used to be. Granted, that the HE100 is by far superior to the Zues R, or any CIEMS as the moment, but if its the more mainstream cans the distance gap is smaller than you might imagine. Plus, we're not even counting in the need to lug around a portable amp to ensure that said cans are sufficiently powered, which differs from simply cranking the volume up on your phone or player. 

I can't get into speakers. Just want either hps or CIEM, I would love something immersive with reslly awesome. Mids, vocals, clarity

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,707 of 40,577
Could anyone who owned both Ocharaku Akazakura/Akakaede II vs Zeus XIV/R ? 

I understand that these are not apple to apple comparisons. 

Probably a brief impression would be helpful. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,708 of 40,577
I planning to place an order for a custom Zeus R, but confused on which faceplate and shell to choose and what colour.

Can anyone help me choose the best colour match for the faceplate and shell? Also, is the wood faceplates (+$45) better than the rest faceplates?

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,709 of 40,577
  I planning to place an order for a custom Zeus R, but confused on which faceplate and shell to choose and what colour.

Can anyone help me choose the best colour match for the faceplate and shell? Also, is the wood faceplates (+$45) better than the rest faceplates?

Thats completely subjective LOL Choose what looks best for you! After all, it is going to be YOUR Zeus...

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2,710 of 40,577

I got the wood faceplates and never regret it. Can't count the amount of times people ask me about it because of the amazing plates.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,712 of 40,577
Check my profile pic for my limited edition wooden faceplates. You have my permission to drool and fall in love with them. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,714 of 40,577

Thanks. What are the best colours for the shell? I'm getting confused

You are supposed to. That's the beauty of the CIEM customisation process. What you consider beautiful, I might not touch even with beer goggles on.

If you are due to be around Atlanta any time soon, may be you can drop by at EE and make an informed decision. If not chat with Jack vida PM or email. Jack and team has been the most elaborate and patient EE customisation process for me thus far. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,715 of 40,577

You are supposed to. That's the beauty of the CIEM customisation process. What you consider beautiful, I might not touch even with beer goggles on.

If you are due to be around Atlanta any time soon, may be you can drop by at EE and make an informed decision. If not chat with Jack vida PM or email. Jack and team has been the most elaborate and patient EE customisation process for me thus far. 

Wouldn't be in the US anytime soon. That's the downside on being on the other side of the world
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back