Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #14,251 of 40,577
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #14,252 of 40,577
Today my bespoke 8 wire Thor Silver II (with 2,5 mm PSquared plug !) arrived :) I'd like to share some images...
Definitely an awsome pairing with the LX @ Hugo2
Edit: It's truly majestic! Electronic music sounds insanely energetic and the PSquared plug really seems to add some micro details. I'm totally blown away.....

Looks great! I have one on order too for use with my LX and DX200 :) How does it sound with AMP4s and 3 compared to Leonidas? My only worry is harshness in treble since the Leo is so smooth but I long for that bigger soundstage and airiness!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #14,253 of 40,577
Looks great! I have one on order too for use with my LX and DX200 :) How does it sound with AMP4s and 3 compared to Leonidas? My only worry is harshness in treble since the Leo is so smooth but I long for that bigger soundstage and airiness!

If anything, Thor II is even smoother. Remember, Thor II's fame lies in it being a warmer and smoother silver cable than we're used to seeing. While the 8-wire sounds a little less warm, it somehow manages to be just as smooth on the ears.

If you are already happy with Leo, you'll be happier with this. :wink:

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #14,254 of 40,577
If anything, Thor II is even smoother. Remember, Thor II's fame lies in it being a warmer and smoother silver cable than we're used to seeing. While the 8-wire sounds a little less warm, it somehow manages to be just as smooth on the ears.

agreed

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #14,255 of 40,577

Thanks, Pinky. Looking forward to plugging it in!

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #14,256 of 40,577
Last week I purchased a pair of demo EE Spartan IV universals from Music Sanctuary which arrived today. I'm really enjoying the improved midrange richness they offer over my Massdrop Plus, along with better articulation and more 3D soundstage. The MDP's sub-bass bump I do miss, but the tradeoff is probably worth it.

Just a question though, these nozzles are extremely short and the only silicone tips in my collection I've tried which don't slide off when removing the Spartans from my ears are Spinfits, but I find those a little boomy and would prefer to use something else. Would anyone have any advice on a means of non-permanently securing silicone tips to the nozzles more securely? I thought about wrapping thin strips of electrical tape around the area where the tips & shells meet, but it imagine the tips would still come loose eventually. Perhaps a dab of superglue might do the trick but I don't want whichever tips I choose to be on there permanently.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #14,257 of 40,577
Great and beautiful looking combo :)

FE3EE73F-1CC4-4926-8B80-53960C468E26.jpeg

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #14,258 of 40,577
Last week I purchased a pair of demo EE Spartan IV universals from Music Sanctuary which arrived today. I'm really enjoying the improved midrange richness they offer over my Massdrop Plus, along with better articulation and more 3D soundstage. The MDP's sub-bass bump I do miss, but the tradeoff is probably worth it.

Just a question though, these nozzles are extremely short and the only silicone tips in my collection I've tried which don't slide off when removing the Spartans from my ears are Spinfits, but I find those a little boomy and would prefer to use something else. Would anyone have any advice on a means of non-permanently securing silicone tips to the nozzles more securely? I thought about wrapping thin strips of electrical tape around the area where the tips & shells meet, but it imagine the tips would still come loose eventually. Perhaps a dab of superglue might do the trick but I don't want whichever tips I choose to be on there permanently.
No glue. Try other tips such as Final Audio. When you remove the iem from your ear break the seal slowly, don't just yank it out. Rock it out slowly. I've used two different EE iem's and have no trouble when using that method. You are getting booming from silicon tips? That's a bit strange. Try changing sizes.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #14,259 of 40,577
No glue. Try other tips such as Final Audio. When you remove the iem from your ear break the seal slowly, don't just yank it out. Rock it out slowly. I've used two different EE iem's and have no trouble when using that method. You are getting booming from silicon tips? That's a bit strange. Try changing sizes.
Unfortunately I've tried Final tips along with Spiral Dots, KZ Star tips and generic silicone tips of many types and find they all get stuck in my ears. I can try rocking the earphones out more gently which is a good idea, but there will always be times when someone's trying to get my attention I'll end up yanking them out in a hurry and they'll get stuck.

Spinfits I've found make the sound slightly boomy like listening through a tunnel, perhaps due to their longer than usual inner sound tube. Changing between the sizes that fit me comfortably (SS/S/M) doesn't really change this impression. Its a subtle effect but in my experience tends to make IEMs sound slightly more fatiguing so I avoid using them. Ergonomically they do work really well with short nozzle IEMs but for me are typically tips of last resort.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #14,260 of 40,577
Except for the Phantom, I've never had any luck with Spins fitting.

Maybe try getting some thin paper, cut it up in short strips, put it around nozzles and try to get your tips over them. Different thicknesses, materials, perhaps. Or crimp gently the tips themselves and see if you can make them bind better. Or even, though I hesitate to say it, gently rough up the inside of the tips and see if that helps. What you don't want to do is mess up the nozzles.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #14,261 of 40,577
Unfortunately I've tried Final tips along with Spiral Dots, KZ Star tips and generic silicone tips of many types and find they all get stuck in my ears. I can try rocking the earphones out more gently which is a good idea, but there will always be times when someone's trying to get my attention I'll end up yanking them out in a hurry and they'll get stuck.

Spinfits I've found make the sound slightly boomy like listening through a tunnel, perhaps due to their longer than usual inner sound tube. Changing between the sizes that fit me comfortably (SS/S/M) doesn't really change this impression. Its a subtle effect but in my experience tends to make IEMs sound slightly more fatiguing so I avoid using them. Ergonomically they do work really well with short nozzle IEMs but for me are typically tips of last resort.

I once had a slightly embarrassing experience with an old pair of supra's. The seal was too good and couldn't get them out of my ears when my supervisor came over to me at work once! Caught up later and explained and he was fine, but it was a slightly "oh s*&*t" moment!

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #14,262 of 40,577

I have cut off the inner part of another tip slid it on the nozzle and worked the intended tip over it. Mostly because the tip was a narrow bore tip. Might be worth a try, we all have many extras around.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #14,264 of 40,577
Been such a long wait. Hoping empire can speed up my order for both legend and phantom haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back