Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #14,269 of 40,559
Just got the Campfire Andromeda and I think it's a great complement to my Bravado:

Andromeda
- mega wide (out of this galaxy) soundstage
- sparkly highs CA is known for
- full bodied smooth mids
- very good separation of frequencies but also cohesion with smooth layering
- very good sub-bass and clarity
- mid-bass is focused and does not bleed anywhere

Thoughts: Overall, a very, very balanced IEM.

Bravado
- visceral slams in sub-bass
- energetic, controlled, coherent and speedy
- studio like quality sound (it really feels like I'm peaking into a studio box while the band is performing)
- great comfort (conch fits me well).

Thoughts: Let's listen to some rock and sub-bass :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #14,270 of 40,559
... are you sure? :D

All of you Legend X lovers have made me question my ears several times. I think the balance and linearity of the Phantoms are what makes it so special, particularly it's mids which are stunning. I find the Legend X too much of a V for my liking. Am I the only one who hears this way?

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #14,271 of 40,559
well, I’m pretty sure I’ll be using the legend more at least got the first week since I’ve been using phantoms for the past couple of months constantly. Even my Zeus XR isn’t getting enough playtime

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #14,272 of 40,559
All of you Legend X lovers have made me question my ears several times. I think the balance and linearity of the Phantoms are what makes it so special, particularly it's mids which are stunning. I find the Legend X too much of a V for my liking. Am I the only one who hears this way?

Personally, I don't hear it as a "V" signature, but everyone is different.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #14,273 of 40,559
When I tried them, I didn’t find them necessarily V shaped, but the bass was just to much for my personal taste. But people say they it settles eventually.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #14,274 of 40,559
well, I’m pretty sure I’ll be using the legend more at least got the first week since I’ve been using phantoms for the past couple of months constantly. Even my Zeus XR isn’t getting enough playtime

impressive , can you share some more comparisons please ? also what source are you using ?

thank you

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #14,275 of 40,559
impressive , can you share some more comparisons please ? also what source are you using ?

thank you

basically the tldr is

zeus xr - resolution and imaging king, good details, separation and clarity, holographic vocals
phantoms - smooth, slight warmth, good vocals, excellent tonality and timbre

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #14,276 of 40,559
Personally, I don't hear it as a "V" signature, but everyone is different.

Seems more like a W (with mids ever slightly lower) to me when I listened to it and also looking at the frequency graphs.

Either way the Legend X sounds fabulous. Better than my Andromeda but not surprising considering the price difference.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #14,277 of 40,559
When I tried them, I didn’t find them necessarily V shaped, but the bass was just to much for my personal taste. But people say they it settles eventually.

hmm.... after around 400h maybe the bass is a bit better controlled but (in my opinion) it definitely hasn't settled down :D... not even a tad. It punches the sh** out of my head like it did at the very first day. Nothing has changed lol... thank god. And that's why i love my Legend so much. It is and remains a naughty but classy mf :) Imo nothing tames and settles...

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #14,278 of 40,559
Would anyone happen to have any thoughts on how the ESR's compare with the Spartan IV's? I'm curious to know how much benefit I'd receive from upgrading.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #14,279 of 40,559
Would anyone happen to have any thoughts on how the ESR's compare with the Spartan IV's? I'm curious to know how much benefit I'd receive from upgrading.

I compared them briefly a while ago. Here were my thoughts:

The ESR puts a little twist on things with a beautifully warm upper-bass. It's not accentuated per se, but compared to the Spartan's drier and more even approach to the low-end, the ESR has more body, emotion and boldness down low. Fortunately, none of this introduces any kind of bloat into the midrange, and what it introduces in the bigger picture is a chesty foundation to the stage; rather than keeping it strictly clean and sterile. The midrange of the ESR is open and airy, benefitting from an upper-mid bump for extra articulation. Compared to the Spartan, vocals are less top-heavy. This is because the ESR's uses that upper-bass foundation to give meat to its vocals; bolstering midrange resolution. The Spartan sounds thinner in comparison, even though both have a pleasing timbre. The ESR - I feel - is technically stronger in the treble, due to increased linearity and extension. The Spartan is almost Zeus-like in its lower-treble and upper-treble peaks, creating notes that are clean and clear, but are almost hard and brittle in nature. The ESR maintains that clarity through sheer extension, but smoother note release allows it more forgiveness with poorer recordings.

In terms of overall resolution, I find the ESR superior to the Spartan due to several factors I mentioned above. Bass layering and precision benefits from superior low-end extension and the ESR's more stable stage makes it easier to keep up with where the bass isin the recording. An increase in note weight and note body - again, stemming from the upper bass - improves midrange resolution; endowing instruments with more physicality and palpability. The ESR's more linear treble is also instrumental in forming its blacker background. As a result, midrange notes contrast more clearly against the background, which - again - improves resolution as well as micro-dynamics without having to resort to a brighter signature. The Spartan is on par with the ESR in terms of macro-dynamics, though, due to the latter's more aggressive treble. The ESR's treble decays at a greater rate in comparison, keeping the background black and the overall timbre beautifully neutral-natural. The Spartan's overall tone is just slightly more neutral, due to a tinge of dryness in its note presentation. One is not brighter than the other per se; their notes just take on different textures. For reference, the ESR in the treble is probably more like the Andromeda in smoothness and openness, but - again - the latter has a dryness - due to an attenuated upper-bass - that the former does not.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #14,280 of 40,559
In my opinion (as a fellow Spartan owner), it depends. Do you want a smoother treble? Do you want just that little bit more bass? If yes, the esr is for you. If not, no harm sticking with the Spartans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back