Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #13,936 of 40,600
Legend X arrived..when you're IEM's arrive make sure you check that the cable is connected in the right direction, EA logo out.

20180602_114557~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #13,937 of 40,600
without sounding like a stan, it's difficult to convey how good the bravado is and what its vfm implications regarding similarily priced iems for those who value more meat on the bones in their music reproduction.

It’s incredible value, especially if you pair it up with a pure silver cable. Brings out more of the highs, vocals are more forward and the bass becomes more controlled. Essentially fixes the shortcomings of it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #13,938 of 40,600
After owning the legend x I tired so many tips

Here is my ranking best ones

1- spinfit double flange the red ones- gives best presence of mids with best bass and soundstage and details
2- spinfit double flange the black ones
3- final audio small size- mids sound bit lacking compared to the above
4- comply foam tips- ok nothing more

Worst tips I tried

1- jvc spiral dots - very bad the worst xperience
2- mandarin tips
3- regular spinfit

Tips that don’t work as they do not stay on the nozzle
1- Sony new model tips that are like foam
2- Sony hybrid tips

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #13,939 of 40,600
Legend X arrived..when you're IEM's arrive make sure you check that the cable is connected in the right direction, EA logo out.

hey , i took my Zeus out of my ears the moment i read your comment (since they have a EA cable) , is this the correct way to plug the cable ? is there any disadvantage if i have them plugged the other way round ?

thanx for any feedback on the matter , very curious about your thoughts (or anyone else who notices differences ofc)

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #13,940 of 40,600
It’s incredible value, especially if you pair it up with a pure silver cable. Brings out more of the highs, vocals are more forward and the bass becomes more controlled. Essentially fixes the shortcomings of it.

yup currently using PW's silver monocrystal 2 wire, also had positive results with dita truth spc cable that i have around.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #13,941 of 40,600
hey , i took my Zeus out of my ears the moment i read your comment (since they have a EA cable) , is this the correct way to plug the cable ? is there any disadvantage if i have them plugged the other way round ?

thanx for any feedback on the matter , very curious about your thoughts (or anyone else who notices differences ofc)

I can confirm that that is indeed the correct way to plug in the cable. The EA logo should face outwards at all times, or - to make it more universal - the groove (i.e. the indent on the black portion of the plug before the two pins) should always face outward. Companies like PlusSound have a funny habit of making their logos face inward, so using the groove as a reference should work better as long as your cable was soldered correctly. Plus, if you've plugged them in with the logos facing inward, won't the cable marked "L" get plugged into the right earpiece and the cable marked "R" get plugged into the left one? EA's cables come with a pre-wrapped heat-shrink, so I'm not aware of any other way to plug them in without some indication of an error.

The issue you'll face when plugging them in backwards would be of polarity. I've heard comments saying backwards polarity causes poorer imaging and soundstage precision, but I haven't done the test myself to confirm.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #13,942 of 40,600
I can confirm that that is indeed the correct way to plug in the cable. The EA logo should face outwards at all times, or - to make it more universal - the groove (i.e. the indent on the black portion of the plug before the two pins) should always face outward. Companies like PlusSound have a funny habit of making their logos face inward, so using the groove as a reference should work better as long as your cable was soldered correctly. Plus, if you've plugged them in with the logos facing inward, won't the cable marked "L" get plugged into the right earpiece and the cable marked "R" get plugged into the left one? EA's cables come with a pre-wrapped heat-shrink, so I'm not aware of any other way to plug them in without some indication of an error.

The issue you'll face when plugging them in backwards would be of polarity. I've heard comments saying backwards polarity causes poorer imaging and soundstage precision, but I haven't done the test myself to confirm.
Mine was backward...when I flipped it around it was an unnatural bend in the heat shrink. I mentioned it because I noticed someone else's cable was reversed in photos I saw.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #13,943 of 40,600
well, i went ahead and switched the Eos cable so the EA logo faces outwards

doesn't hurt to try i guess , now the placebo effect will probably make me feel like Zeus is 20% better in imaging etc :L3000:

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #13,944 of 40,600
Mine was backward...when I flipped it around it was an unnatural bend in the heat shrink. I mentioned it because I noticed someone else's cable was reversed in photos I saw.
Compare the two one upon receipt and one after I switched it...
20180602_114428~2.jpg 20180602_114557~2.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #13,945 of 40,600
i had a whiplash audio cable and i remember a red/blue dot on the cables as L/R indicators and i always put these facing inwards

i also posted on the EA thread , maybe eric can shed some light here on the matter

again , thanx for mentioning it :beerchug:

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #13,946 of 40,600
Compare the two one upon receipt and one after I switched it...

The left cable looks perfectly fine; heat shrink is looping over the IEM and the groove is facing outwards. The right cable on the left picture looks unnaturally bent, especially near where the barrel of the plug. So, what you're saying is, when you flipped the right-side cable to make the groove face outward, the heat shrink bend was incorrect? If so, it looks like your cable may have been soldered/heat-shrunk incorrectly. You might wanna contact EE or EA about a replacement.

i had a whiplash audio cable and i remember a red/blue dot on the cables as L/R indicators and i always put these facing inwards

i also posted on the EA thread , maybe eric can shed some light here on the matter

again , thanx for mentioning it :beerchug:

Again, the logo or any cosmetic visual indicator doesn't really matter - what matters is the groove on the black plastic, encircled below using @subguy812's photo:

20180602_1145572 (1) copy.jpg

Those grooves must always face outwards. That should give you proper polarity if your cables are soldered correctly. In @subguy812's case, considering the unnatural bend of the heat shrink, the right-sided cable may not have been soldered or wrapped correctly. If your cable has a blue and red dot, the blue dot indicates the left side, while the red dot indicates the right side (Red = R = Right). Then, just follow the groove to figure out the orientation.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #13,947 of 40,600
The logo is supposed to be facing outward guys...I think? Mine came that way.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #13,949 of 40,600
The logo is supposed to be facing outward guys...I think? Mine came that way.

Commonly, yes, but it's not advisable to use that as your reference. For example, I mentioned in my review of the Effect Audio x MS Eos that the metal barrel with the logo on it was loose on both sides, which can lead them to spin/turn around the 2-pin connectors. This means, there's a possibility for the logo to misalign relative to the plug, so your connection would be incorrect if you follow the logo. Personally, I think it's more reliable to follow the groove considering - once again - your cables are soldered correctly.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #13,950 of 40,600
Again, the logo or any cosmetic visual indicator doesn't really matter - what matters is the groove on the black plastic, encircled below using

Those grooves must always face outwards. That should give you proper polarity if your cables are soldered correctly. In @subguy812's case, considering the unnatural bend of the heat shrink, the right-sided cable may not have been soldered or wrapped correctly. If your cable has a blue and red dot, the blue dot indicates the left side, while the red dot indicates the right side (Red = R = Right). Then, just follow the groove to figure out the orientation.

checked my cables and yes the groove looks outwards - i did not know this groove term , so glad to have learned something new

once again you are the man Daniel-san (Miyaki voice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back