Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 31, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #13,921 of 40,611
Lavricable do a lightening to Micro USB but its out of stock till the end of June, but i found this company who make/sell them for $14 each and i bought 2. Delivery to the UK took less than a week and soundwise there's little noticable difference from the apple cinema but its just a much neater way of doing things:

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html#buy :)

As Ethan knows well, I have some top connections in the 2 channel world. I’m going to ask one of my cable companies if they can do something about making a special cable to try and bypass that camera dongle that we all hate.

May 31, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #13,922 of 40,611
Which of the Zeus' is best suited for an audiophile? probably wouldn't want a basshead but more treble for like rock music.
For Rock and Roll I'd get either the XR or, if money is somewhat of an issue, the XlV. Also depends on what source you use. Tons of transparency, detail, incredible upper end, the X and the XlV have forward vocals. I listen to 60's and 70's rock and it's perfect. If the track has bass it will sound bass-y but it won't add heaviness to the track if the bass is moderate.

May 31, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #13,923 of 40,611
Lavricable do a lightening to Micro USB but its out of stock till the end of June, but i found this company who make/sell them for $14 each and i bought 2. Delivery to the UK took less than a week and soundwise there's little noticable difference from the apple cinema but its just a much neater way of doing things:

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html#buy :)
I use the same cable with my Mojo. Works very well. One week delivery to USA.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #13,924 of 40,611
As Ethan knows well, I have some top connections in the 2 channel world. I’m going to ask one of my cable companies if they can do something about making a special cable to try and bypass that camera dongle that we all hate.

Even if they wanted to crowd fund it as a side project, I’m sure there’d be no shortage of uptake.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #13,925 of 40,611
For the first time I tried the Phantom directly out of the iPhone adapter and I was so surprised that it sounded quite good, I didn't expect much but I find I loose much less compared to a DAP/DAC than other IEM I own or have owned. Special mention to the bass. This is probably due to that amazing clarity and transparency that prevents the congested sound I mostly get from smartphones (that is, compared to a good DAP or DAC).

The LionHeart probably helps and I might not like it as much with say the Ares II. You still get a somewhat bumped up mid bass on some tracks, it won't ever be as clean as DX200 there but still, pretty nice to be able to fall back on travelling light at times.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #13,926 of 40,611
Even if they wanted to crowd fund it as a side project, I’m sure there’d be no shortage of uptake.

None of these companies have interest in doing a crowdfunding deal. Heck, one of them just stopped production their headphones that were critically acclaimed (neither was a favorite of mind and I will only use their cable in my highest end system). They are only focused on the larger of this niche business. Portable it growing leaps and bounds, however we only use 1 cable and that's for the IEM's or headphones. These other 'specialty' cable work arounds etc..are just not their market and probably never will be. I do know some singular makers adn have discussed making IEM cables (they make great headphone cables for fair prices) and I will now ask about this type of cable. The is one reason I was impressed with Audeze's lightning cable. Just so easy and sounds better than basic buds etc...

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #13,927 of 40,611
Just want to give a hats off to Empire Ears’ customer service.

I had a problem with my Ares cable and @Ethan Groover handled it very promptly and professionally and solved the problem. Very pleased with my earphones now.

On a side note, I visited Headfoneshop today and it was funny to see four guys there with various EE earphones. Zeus, Legend X, Bravado, Phantom, you name it. It was nice to meet a fellow Bravado owner :) We just nodded at each as if we knew how good it is.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #13,928 of 40,611
Hi everyone, hugely jealous of all the LX discussions going on here. :) That said, was hoping folks could help me with some UIEM Non-Adel Spartans I just picked up from a fellow head-fier.

Using a DX200 > AMP4s > Triton Audio 4-wire copper 2.5 balanced > Spartans > Spiral Dots. Overall love the detail in the mid and lower treble range - super clear. However, I'm getting a fair amount of sibilance and treble fatigue. Pretty sure I'm fitting them pretty deep and have the right size dots and while it could be song dependent, there are many songs where I've never had treble issues that with these are really harsh. Tried complys that came with the IEMs and that didn't help. Same with spinfits.

Generally reviews seem to point to clear treble that's not overly bright/harsh so I'm trying to figure out if I need to change out the cable, try different tips, or just accept I'm treble sensitive and try a different IEM in the EE lineup.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #13,929 of 40,611
Well, you could spend hundreds on a new cable or a few bucks for other tips. I'd suggest Final Audio or maybe SpinFits. Comply should get rid of the treble issue, but might affect the lower end more than you'd like. Since the Spirals are silicone, which tends to brighten up, maybe try the Comply first just to see.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #13,931 of 40,611
Hi everyone, hugely jealous of all the LX discussions going on here. :) That said, was hoping folks could help me with some UIEM Non-Adel Spartans I just picked up from a fellow head-fier.

Using a DX200 > AMP4s > Triton Audio 4-wire copper 2.5 balanced > Spartans > Spiral Dots. Overall love the detail in the mid and lower treble range - super clear. However, I'm getting a fair amount of sibilance and treble fatigue. Pretty sure I'm fitting them pretty deep and have the right size dots and while it could be song dependent, there are many songs where I've never had treble issues that with these are really harsh. Tried complys that came with the IEMs and that didn't help. Same with spinfits.

Generally reviews seem to point to clear treble that's not overly bright/harsh so I'm trying to figure out if I need to change out the cable, try different tips, or just accept I'm treble sensitive and try a different IEM in the EE lineup.

without suggesting you to spend (a lot) more:-

1) if the dap has switchable gain, opt for the lowest gain poss; you could even try going SE, sometimes going BAL is too much of a good thing;

2) revert back to the stock cable to determine if its part of the signature that you have an issue with.

3) narrow bore tips like the final E or triple flange tips from mee audio, note that esp with the latter, spaciousness would be affected;

4) i realise that you are already using a copper cable, but the reasonably priced Han Sound Zen or PW #5, both of which i own(ed) and are almost "anti-sibilant" in their tuning.

good luck

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #13,932 of 40,611

I recommend trying the final audio tips, just spend a few bucks to get the variety pack. Try to get the deepest possible fit. Also, if u don't mind, try getting the pw no5. Or other copper cables except the ares 2. The cheapest one I can recommend is the mikumo 2 from cross lambda audio

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #13,933 of 40,611
I should have a Legend X in my hands today. With some time I should be able to do a proper comparison of three of the newest bass giants...Legend X, Custom Art ME and Campfire Audio Atlas.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #13,934 of 40,611
Alright, we are back in action!

Big shout out to EE and @Ethan Groover for their stellar service and support.

DSC_0224.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #13,935 of 40,611
Alright, we are back in action!

Big shout out to EE and @Ethan Groover for their stellar service and support.

Awesome! Can't wait for more impressions of the Bravado. It's one of the best sub-$1000 IEMs I've heard yet and more love is always welcome. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back